What, really, is "too thin"?

Options

Replies

• trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    When people say this to me, it makes me want to flip a friggin' table.

In my experience, it's rarely out of concern for me (for me, who's very clearly at a very healthy weight for the first time in oh... my entire life, thank you) and more out of insecurity for themselves. Have you ever noticed that the thinner you get, the fatter some other people think that they get?

If you're a healthy weight, please do not give .05 seconds of thought to someone telling you that you are too thin. Too thin is a problem. Your weight loss causing people to examine themselves in ways that they don't like..... is not a problem.

I'm not always a bitter beyotch, I promise. It's just a hot button issue with me, haha.

TABLE FLIP.
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Well, that is offensive. I'm still classed as over weight but someone said "Have you been sick?" regarding my weightloss. I guess people just get so used to us being one size, and when we change they only see the negative aspects. As long as you're feeling healthy and eating enough you shouldn't worry.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    For me, one is too thin when you can see the outline of their skull and every bone in their body.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    People who will openly say 'You're too thin' when you're not are usually projecting their own issues onto you. I frequently get that from chubby or very overweight girls when I'm actually a totally normal weight for my 5'6 height. Then they'll proceed to discuss how men actually prefer 'curvy' women...I have curves too. Just go with what feels right for you, if you still have energy, if you're feeling strong, fit and healthy and your body weight is in the normal range then forget other people.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    "Curves".....

The most wrongly used word in diet history.

inigo.png
  • kenhelms17720
    Options
    Like others have said... it's all personal.

1. Is the person sick a lot? (immune system)
    2. If the person is a woman... is her menstrual cycle still regular?
    3. Are they tired a lot?
    4. High rate of injuries?

Have a caliper test done for fat percentage, most gyms have a trainer to do it for low cost (10-15 bucks on average) or buy a set and have a family member do it.

Something to keep in mind with very low %'s, etc is that life throws unexpected things at us.... A serious illness is not a good thing to have if you can't loose a few pounds due to it. Think of some fat as an insurance policy.

I am sure some would argue but short of an eating disorder or unique genetic predisposition, illness, etc it is very hard to be "too thin".
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with peoples opinions of "too thin" I think it's all about where you feel most comfortable, and healthful. This is a good question you raised.

THIS
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I talked to my doctor about it. He said that "Ideal weight range charts do not count everything that they should. Your ideal weight may be different than someone else' ideal weight even if they were the same height and gender. The weight where you feel the healthiest, are highest functioning, and the most energetic is the proper weight for you".
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    If you were on the higher end of the "healthy range" according to the charts, I'd say they're just reacting poorly to change. But you say you're on the lower end of the "healthy range," so I'd ask your doc for an impartial opinion. Body issues can sneak up on you, and you may not be the most impartial observer -- depending on the person, sometimes the lower end of the "healthy range" really is TOO thin. Remember, it's just an estimate -- they had to come up with some numbers, but they by no means fit everyone.
    I personally think being able to see upper ribs is scary, but I have ALWAYS had prominent hipbones, no matter my weight. Can you exercise and run around with the kids and go up stairs without losing your breath? Are you strong? Are you eating lots of healthy, nourishing food and staying well within MFP's recommended calorie guidelines for maintenance? Again, those are general guidelines that don't fit everyone, but if you fall at the low end of the spectrum, it's worth getting a medical opinion (to include a real body fat measurement, not just BMI) to make sure you haven't fallen victim to a distorted mind-mirror.
  • cassiegal724
    cassiegal724 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    thin-776705.JPG

YES!
  • xkdrowex
    xkdrowex Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    thinspiration77.jpg

ick.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's more than a size or weight... it's individual to each person. There's boniness, frailty and no... the best I can describe it is a "bloom of health." It sets off my empathy button, like seeing ill or neglected animals at the vets or the shelter or on FB.

Also, I believe if you have to eat in an unhealthy way to achieve and ESPECIALLY to maintain a weight, it's too thin for you.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Around 15% body fat is awesome. Below that, you're probably getting too thin, or at least, you have to be careful or know what you are doing. Above 15%, no one is too thin.
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • oakfruit
    oakfruit Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This is something I struggle with a lot. While I have a fairly low BMI (17.9 I think), the only times it's been higher (and we're talking 19 at most) has been when I was eating huge amounts of junk food (9 packs of Gushers a day, sugary juice with every meal, a chai latte, and an enormous slice of cake from the cafe up the street was not unusual for me). I now net about 1550 calories per day, but still get my period, have MORE energy, and don't have any bones sticking out anywhere. I've always had a thin frame - I used to get books on eating disorders for Christmas before I even cared about what my size was, and have always worn a 32AA bra. Having suffered from disordered eating habits in the past, I know that there is a qualitative difference between what I used to do then (skip meals, isolate myself) and how I take care of myself now.

That said, all of what I just wrote could definitely be read as someone trying to justify their unhealthy thinness, and I wouldn't want anyone to interpret my post (or anyone's) as a justification for losing more weight when they don't have to.

Ultimately, I think it's not only up to an individual to decide what's healthy - we're all a bit blind when it comes to being honest with ourselves - but also to gauge their habits on more objective measures (how long does the person think about food or weight loss per day? Has the person ever considered or engaged in purging behaviors? Is the person's happiness dependent on their weight? Has the person's family noticed the individual making excuses around mealtimes? etc.). If the person is thin but physically AND psychologically healthy, then I don't think it's fair of others to dismiss them as being obsessed/disordered etc.
  • daggs95
    daggs95 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If the thought "too thin" has been expressed...generally that is too thin.

Just remember, most of the time people are harder on themselves (some in secret or subconciously) tthis is true for both ends of the body image spectrum.
  • ARP2217
    Options
    You know, I'm not sure what to do because my hips are a bit bony from my last form of dieting, and yet I still have some fat on my mid-section, thighs, and maybe even my back end. I hope I'm loosing in the correct places! But it's hard to tell...and I'm not exactly sure how I should try and change that. Can you really help where your body chooses to try and get rid of fat? I've been trying to do leg and exercises and stuff to try to remove fat more from where I want it to so I'm not too skinny in other areas, but I'm having troubles. Any suggestions?
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    You know, I'm not sure what to do because my hips are a bit bony from my last form of dieting, and yet I still have some fat on my mid-section, thighs, and maybe even my back end. I hope I'm loosing in the correct places! But it's hard to tell...and I'm not exactly sure how I should try and change that. Can you really help where your body chooses to try and get rid of fat? I've been trying to do leg and exercises and stuff to try to remove fat more from where I want it to so I'm not too skinny in other areas, but I'm having troubles. Any suggestions?
    You can't burn fat only in one place. Where you lose the fat isn't in your control and there's nothing you can do about that. You can do strength training to shape your body.
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I think so many people in this country are overweight, that they don't realize what healthy is. I get that in my family all the time. They get on my case so often about being "too thin", and are usually mean about it. But, by definition, I am the only one of them who is a healthy weight.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I had a man tell me that too but I know he said it because my boobs are gone, which used to be HUGE! Oh how I miss them now! Oh well, I can now buy fitted clothing, I love running, I'm in the upper end of the healthy weight range, I feel good and I don't care what others think. :)