Stomach still Hangs down?

Options
Hey All, This is an embarrassing question but what the heck right?! So I have lost like 95.5 pounds. I went from being 5'2 238lbs to 142 pounds. I figured by now my stomach would be flatter by it still hangs down, will this ever lift up and be flat? Or will surgery be my only answer for this (not what I want to do). Your stories and help would be much appreciated!

Edit: I forgot to mention I lift weight 3 times a week and lift heavy!

Replies

• loribrodbeck
    loribrodbeck Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Cardio and weight lifting in addition to diet changes will help tighten things up. But it takes a while. If you work on developing the muscles underneath the appearance should improve.
  • ShawnNhGa1977
    ShawnNhGa1977 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i went from being 164 over 2 yrs ago to being 126 (doctor's report said) (my scale said 126.5) anyways my stomach aint flat either im tryin to get it like you're good luck
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I seem to drop weight in waves...after a wave of weight loss, my stomach feels a little flabbier, but after several weeks it tightens up. I had a ginormous beer belly, and I hope I won't have any loose skin, but it looks like I might...I'll try to fill it in with abs.
  • heidimaggott78
    Options
    Bump
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Pilates.... is the key...
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    What does your exercise regimen look like??
    Chances are surgery is the ultimate answer. Pilates & lifting heavy can improve things (with time), but it boils down to genetics and skin elasticity.
    Wish I had a better answer. I started at 200 down to 150 and I have the hanging pooch and loose skin. I also have 3 kids, 3 c-sections and gained and lost 50-70lbs with each pregnancy. I think I stretched my poor stomach to it's max and it's like "Ahh, no, there ain't no bouncing from that trauma" lol.
    Congrats on your loss :smile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss so far.

You still probably have fat there so keep going. With regard to any excess skin, it depends on a lot of factors including age, how long you were overweight for, genetics and how much you have lost. You are young which is a plus and there are many women who have lost as much as you and more who do not have a loose skin issue. Time should take care of that for you.

If I were you are would eat at a reasonable calorie deficit, strength train and be patient (hard I know).
  • homemomfreda
    Options
    I've seen after photos of members on MFP that have gradually lost a lot of weight - 50-100+ plus. From what I've read they have had to work on burning the last bits of fat & skin by toning & leaning out. This takes a while but continuous exercise & diet will lift that skin - it may not ever be super tight but it will firm. I've had 4 children and the skin will never be the same without surgery but leaning out has tightened it & I have visible ab muscles now. You have done a fabulous job - keep going until you reach your ultimate goal!
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options

You still probably have fat there so keep going. With regard to any excess skin, it depends on a lot of factors including age, how long you were overweight for, genetics and how much you have lost. You are young which is a plus and there are many women who have lost as much as you and more who do not have a loose skin issue. Time should take care of that for you.

If I were you are would eat at a reasonable calorie deficit, strength train and be patient (hard I know).

I have been overweight my entire life of 21 years. This is my first time becoming healthy.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Congrats on weight loss. What your describing is a panniculus. As you continue to lose fat it will go away.
  • harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Even after losing 100 pounds 2 years ago, I still have some loose skin, but it does indeed take a LONG time. never give up, and give it time. Patience and persistence are the hardest things about losing weight, never give up.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    What does your exercise regimen look like??
    Chances are surgery is the ultimate answer. Pilates & lifting heavy can improve things (with time), but it boils down to genetics and skin elasticity.
    Wish I had a better answer. I started at 200 down to 150 and I have the hanging pooch and loose skin. I also have 3 kids, 3 c-sections and gained and lost 50-70lbs with each pregnancy. I think I stretched my poor stomach to it's max and it's like "Ahh, no, there ain't no bouncing from that trauma" lol.
    Congrats on your loss :smile:

I agree with what she said.. genetics... I am pretty sure I will have a some extra skin after 3 c sections also.. I still have alot of tummy to lose so hopefully with the weights I am doing I won't.. but at my age I ain't holding my breath...
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere more than once that it takes up to 2yrs post weight loss to know where the overhang will end up. That's assuming you continuing doing all that did to get there. I wish I could tell you I'm on the back end of this journey but I just started. My stomach is huge, and I know at 48 I'll have issues regardless of work and time. One thing you have going for you is your age. Younger means more collagen in the skin and rebound. If you had kids that factors in also.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I have been overweight my entire life of 21 years. This is my first time becoming healthy.

Be patient. Your age gives you a great chance of not having issues. Keep losing the body fat. Skin can take a while to 'catch up'.
  • erinnstreeter
    erinnstreeter Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation as you are; I have over 100 lbs to lose, and I have to face the reality that no amount of work may make my skin rebound. But the work is worth doing anyway, because the health-related gains outweigh the vanity ones. And creatively attiring myself will hide the parts I don't like.

I think the reality here is, no matter what, we all have something we don't like about our bodies. Even people who don't share our experience/fears, who have gained and lost weight but never had skin stretch/rebound issues, have *something* about their bodies they would wish away if they found a genie in a lamp.

I try to remember that, ultimately, the people who are going to see me naked don't care if I have loose skin.
  • ThereseIShere
    ThereseIShere Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have "read" since I am not there yet and had huge TWIN baby boys that it can take up to 2 years after reaching goal weight to see everything go back to original position. In fact, some insurance will cover tummy life but ONLY after 2 years.
  • tobnrn
    Options

Be patient. Your age gives you a great chance of not having issues. Keep losing the body fat. Skin can take a while to 'catch up'.

Patience is the key. Most confuse subcutaneous fat with loose skin. Loose skin is paper thin and sticks together. It can take 1-2 yrs for that to tighten. Most don't need surgery. Just keep doing what your doing. Like mentioned above you have your age going for you.
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I guess it just hard to work so hard and not see the body you want lol
  • tobnrn
    Options
    I guess it just hard to work so hard and not see the body you want lol

You will get there. I'm sure the body you have now is better than before. Give yourself a break. You have done a fabulous job so far.