How low can you go?

Options
I'm on a 1200 calorie diet. I sometimes am under 1200. Yesterday I was under by 150 calories. The day before I was under 50. I try to keep it as close to 1200, but MFP keeps telling me I'm in "starvation mode" if I'm anything under my 1200 calories. But am i really? How low is too low? Does it matter if I'm really 50 calories under?

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    i think the 1200 is a guide line, if you aren't hungry, i think you are good.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    With only 10 pounds to lose, you should be eating lots more than 1200. "Starvation mode" is a vague, over-used term, but you are under-eating.

Here: good explanations:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calories
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    85% chance your intake is too low, and if you exercise, you are going to really mess yourself up.

someone is going to post this, so I will just get it over with.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    i think the 1200 is a guide line, if you aren't hungry, i think you are good.

lol. scientific.
  • Kathy_TheVampireSlayer
    Options
    tumblr_lmnvdoveZh1qc93yr.gif
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    :sad: not again.
  • kdf017
    kdf017 Posts: 33
    Options
    I am 5'4" if that helps at all. I don't want this post to turn into a fight. It's just a question. I don't get hungry often because I do eat snacks in b/w meals. I exercise on a tredmill for 30 min a day(except yesterday) and I do try to eat my exercise calories back. I was I'm trying to do this as healthiy as I can. I'm just wondering if it's really all that dangerous or terrible(like am I going to die??) if I am just ABIT under my calories for the day(even when I'm not hungry). I seem to be losing the weight quick.. It's only been 4 days and I haven't weighed myself yet but I can tell I have lost weight. If I do get hungry, I do eat.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" if that helps at all. I don't want this post to turn into a fight. It's just a question. I don't get hungry often because I do eat snacks in b/w meals. I exercise on a tredmill for 30 min a day(except yesterday) and I do try to eat my exercise calories back. I was I'm trying to do this as healthiy as I can. I'm just wondering if it's really all that dangerous or terrible(like am I going to die??) if I am just ABIT under my calories for the day(even when I'm not hungry). I seem to be losing the weight quick.. It's only been 4 days and I haven't weighed myself yet but I can tell I have lost weight. If I do get hungry, I do eat.

If you want to lose 10lbs I would guess you really want to 'tone up'? To do this, ditch most of the cardio and start a decent strength training routine. Concentrate on losing bodyfat, not weight.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    all night long, all night....all night.... all night long....
    lionel_ritchie.jpg \m/
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    at some point I was eating 900-1000 cal and was fine but.... Now with P90X etc ...I can't, I need fuel so much...
    So I try to be close to 2000 cal a day.
  • kdf017
    Options

If you want to lose 10lbs I would guess you really want to 'tone up'? To do this, ditch most of the cardio and start a decent strength training routine. Concentrate on losing bodyfat, not weight.

It's more like 15lbs but I put down 10lbs because Im trying to do this in increments so I don't get so frustrated. But anyway, you're right, I'd like to also tone up. I'm gonna start next week with crunches and push ups(since I don't have a weight set or gym membership, and I have toned up like that before). I walk to tone up my legs and lose weight. I don't mean to sound stupid, but the guideline has helped for me and I plan on eating the calories I've lost thru exercise to make up the difference so I don't truely starve myself. So far, this has worked for me and I will change it if I need to.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    You're not going to die, but make sure you listen to your body and eat more if you need to. Don't be afraid to eat more, especially if you up your exercise. Some people are fine on 1200 calories. Just get as close as you can, eat healthy foods that have high calorie content like eggs, nuts, and avocado if you can't quite get there.
  • kdf017
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice and also, thank you for not turning this into a dramatic jerry springer show either. I appreciate everyone's comments.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    a0823f7c_Oh-Boy-here-we-go-again.jpeg
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Everyone's metabolism is different. If you aren't hungry at 1200, and you are losing the weight you want, the only real concern is that you are eating enough essential nutrients to prevent malnutrition. If you do not use supplements, there is a really good chance you are leaving yourself open to dietary related diseases such as osteoporosis or anemia.

The morbidly obese are able to function just fine on VLCD for months or years. When someone has bariatric surgery, they become physically unable to eat more than about 800 calories a day. The point is, make sure the calories you consume are very nutrient dense so that you don't become ill.

Nutrient dense foods are generally low carb and low calorie. Things like fruit, leafy greens, and lean protein are a good foundation for VLCD. Avoid grains, starchy vegetables (corn, potatoes, turnips, carrots, peas, etc.), and full-fat dairy. Go easy on non-fat dairy, nuts and nut butters, fatty fruits like avocado and olives, egg yolks, and legumes. Cut sweets completely.
  • cindl24
    cindl24 Posts: 178
    Options
    Do you have a doctor? If so, I would consult with him/her and ask what they think is a healthy level for you. Or you might want to seek out a nutritionist. I know those can both be expensive options though.

For me, personally, when I eat closer to my goal each day, I tend to lose weight more than if I undercut it.

I wish you luck and hope you are able to stay on a healthy track. :)
  • Unbruisedpeach
    Unbruisedpeach Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • kdf017
    Options
    Everyone's metabolism is different. If you aren't hungry at 1200, and you are losing the weight you want, the only real concern is that you are eating enough essential nutrients to prevent malnutrition. If you do not use supplements, there is a really good chance you are leaving yourself open to dietary related diseases such as osteoporosis or anemia.

The morbidly obese are able to function just fine on VLCD for months or years. When someone has bariatric surgery, they become physically unable to eat more than about 800 calories a day. The point is, make sure the calories you consume are very nutrient dense so that you don't become ill.

Nutrient dense foods are generally low carb and low calorie. Things like fruit, leafy greens, and lean protein are a good foundation for VLCD. Avoid grains, starchy vegetables (corn, potatoes, turnips, carrots, peas, etc.), and full-fat dairy. Go easy on non-fat dairy, nuts and nut butters, fatty fruits like avocado and olives, egg yolks, and legumes. Cut sweets completely.

I try to make sure I'm eating veggies everyday.. It's actually a REAL major difference than how I used to eat. I used to never eat fruits and veggies and just eat whatever(mostly processed starchy foods). That's how I got into this mess. I understand your point about malnutrition. I'll keep that in mind and try to change my diet accordingly. Thank you.