Help. Does anybody else have this problem?

Options
2»

Replies

• Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Log only at end of day... or log what you will have before the day begins then have a rule to follow?

As for training... why is it bad to train 3 hrs?

I do regular runs of that time... It is all good :D
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    in short this is all about discipline.
    you have to do it, that's for the workout and stop it, for eating. also, this has something to do with better choices.

one strategy that i can recommend is to allow yourself to have lazy days and likewise have those days when you can eat anything you want. good, in my case i do rest for a month after finishing a workout program which takes about 1 to 3 months. for eating i allow myself to give myself a break for at least 1 to 2 times per week.

however, in time you might notice that you actually might miss workout and you might drop those un-healthy food altogether. after some time, say about 6 months.
  • runboostie
    runboostie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I used to do that in my past, but not to the extreme you are speaking of. At my age now (48) I decided I don't want to "play" around anymore. I don't want to be fat, I'm done with that. I took off 43 lbs and nothing is going to make me "quit" and pack it back on. Not a binge, not binges, nothing. I started this quest about 6 months ago and for the first time, haven't done any crazy binging.
    I just woke up one day with my mind set to do this, take it off and keep it off.
    This is the first time I have had any aid and by that I mean My Fitness Pal.
    I think with this site, I can do it, and you can too.
    If you binge.. log it.. then it's there in your face to remind you what you did and then maybe you can just start logging back into good healthy meals that aren't off the wall.
    By the way, I think 1200 calories is too low for anyone and when you go that low, you are hungry.. every day and when you are hungry every day, you are more likely to go "off the wall" try upping your calorie intake to 1500, that might help.

I second that emotion.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with bulimia (no longer purge) and Binge Eating Disorder. One of the main characteristics of these types of eating disorders is that there is a cycle of restriction followed by binge again and again. Often, breaking your own dietary "rules" will set off a binge and thus, regular dieting can be counter-productive if you have a history of disordered eating, including actual binges, not just going over. It's important to make plans to deal with binges before they happen and reading books on binge eating may help you. There is a binge eating group on MFP if you would like to join it.

Do you mean now you're eating 1500 cals or now you're having 4,000 calorie binges? Not sure how to advise because your perception of a binge might actually just be that you are eating where you should be. Maybe you're not having disordered eating at all but are setting goals for yourself that might not be the right fit. For example, you could exercise more and eat more, within reason on both.

I have lost 41 pounds and eat 1600 calories most days, with a couple over 2000 each week, but I exercise regularly and have a job where I'm on my feet.
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I used to be a big binger. One of the things that helped me was realising how one of my work friends views food. Nothing is 'good' and nothing is 'bad'. If she's hungry she'll eat. If she's not, she won't. She'll bring a croissant in for breakfast if that's what she fancies and not feel guilty for the rest of the day because she's had something high in calories/fat. I've seen her pack away huge meals in the evening but likewise, if she's not that hungry she won't eat it all. This is a friend who suffered with anorexia in her teens and I am so proud of her for changing her mentality with regards to food and eating.

Ok so I started to accept that all food is just that - food. However, it's bloody hard to fit in having a piece of cake when you're on 1200 calories and still have normal meals. Trying to do that in the past lead me to missing proper dinners. The best thing I found was to increase my calories 200-300 less than my maintenance level. This allows me to eat the type of foods I want and still lose inches. I'm eating what I believe is a healthier 'diet' and having healthy fats and proteins which I believe fill me up better and I don't crave the sweet stuff.

Prior to this I was bingeing more or less every day. I can hand on heart say that since February I've had one binge. A proper binge. Just eating everything in sight for about 3 hours. I felt crap and sick but it didn't roll over in to the next day which is what I would have done.

Edit to say....yes I did log the Mega Binge :D I might as well. There's no point denying it and if I look back through my weight/size loss at least I'll know why it stayed the same.

Don't know if any of that helps but I do believe that increasing calories helped me. If I feel I'm not allowed to have something then that is all I'll think about and then make myself sick when I do 'allow' it.
  • autumnwater
    autumnwater Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I used to do that in my past, but not to the extreme you are speaking of. At my age now (48) I decided I don't want to "play" around anymore. I don't want to be fat, I'm done with that. I took off 43 lbs and nothing is going to make me "quit" and pack it back on. Not a binge, not binges, nothing. I started this quest about 6 months ago and for the first time, haven't done any crazy binging.
    I just woke up one day with my mind set to do this, take it off and keep it off.
    This is the first time I have had any aid and by that I mean My Fitness Pal.
    I think with this site, I can do it, and you can too.
    If you binge.. log it.. then it's there in your face to remind you what you did and then maybe you can just start logging back into good healthy meals that aren't off the wall.
    By the way, I think 1200 calories is too low for anyone and when you go that low, you are hungry.. every day and when you are hungry every day, you are more likely to go "off the wall" try upping your calorie intake to 1500, that might help.

Wow.
    One word: respect.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    double post...
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with bulimia (no longer purge) and Binge Eating Disorder. One of the main characteristics of these types of eating disorders is that there is a cycle of restriction followed by binge again and again. Often, breaking your own dietary "rules" will set off a binge and thus, regular dieting can be counter-productive if you have a history of disordered eating, including actual binges, not just going over. It's important to make plans to deal with binges before they happen and reading books on binge eating may help you. There is a binge eating group on MFP if you would like to join it.

Do you mean now you're eating 1500 cals or now you're having 4,000 calorie binges? Not sure how to advise because your perception of a binge might actually just be that you are eating where you should be. Maybe you're not having disordered eating at all but are setting goals for yourself that might not be the right fit. For example, you could exercise more and eat more, within reason on both.

I hear people talking about binging all the time, and I'm not really sure what qualifies as a binge because I know people who don't have food issues, that might put away huge amounts of food at one time as a regular eating habit (teenage boys, men in general, athletes, etc.). If you are really active, does eating 2-3 times what might be a normal amount of food for you qualify as a binge? What if you just eat large amounts of sweets instead of meals? Is that binging? What if you are eating because you are really just THAT hungry? When does eating a lot become a binge that signals disordered eating?
  • broodmom
    Options
    /During the times I've been successful, I log carbs instead of calories and go by my sister's rule of not eating any carbs that don't have 3g or more in fiber. My diabetes coach put me on a 50 carb per meal diet, with 15 carb snacks in between. About 5 hours between meals, with snacks about 2-3 hours after a meal. At the end of the day, my calories are about 1200-1500, occas. 1800 a day, and I lose weight gradually without focusing on bad behavior. Snacks are things like a smallish orange or half banana, berries, etc, occas with a veggie added, or slice of Aunt Millie's cran-apple bread or Berry Merry muffin. This regular eating really helps keep me from sugar and fat cravings during the day.

Try not to focus on sacrifices and instead on the joys of what you get to eat. And if you slip, shrug your shoulders and do better next day. Think of the off days not as "bad" behavior, just different. And activities or hobbies will help you get away from the food, too.

And remember it didn't take a month to put on the weight, so if it takes you longer to take it off, that's Ok.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I have a serious issue with moderation control. I do everything in an all or nothing manner. I will eat 1200 calories everyday but if I eat even a little over that, I freak out and just binge. If I am exercising, I end up doing it like 3 hours a day or I just stop doing it all together.
    If I start a diet and fall off the band wagon, I'll just completely give up instead of just starting over the next day.
    I have been doing really good this time and I don't want my cycle to begin again. Does anybody else have this problem, and if so how do you control it?

YES. (Immoderate response.)

I don't believe that moderation is for everyone. It requires more thinking than the extreme position.

I sometimes do Intermittent Fasting and a couple of times a year I go on a strict diet. My margin for error is so narrow that there are times when its simply easier to give my efforts a boost.

I'm much better when I can control my environment. I try never to bring into the house food that I'll over-consume. But I'm often not in control.
  • justkeepswimng
    Options
    So, I went back and logged my calories from my binge. It took me a while to convince myself to log them because I really didn't want to know my damages. The funny thing is, the damages weren't half as bad as I thought they were. Albeit I would not want to do that every day. The other funny thing is that if I would have just eaten the fudge and not freaked out and binged, I wouldn't have even gone over my calorie limit. From now on, I'm definitely going to log my no-nos. Who knows, I might find out that they aren't as bad as I thought.