Why is it so hard for people to understand

Options
keelerangela
keelerangela Posts: 88 Member
that you cant expect to lose weight without changing your calorie intake? my friend is working out with me.. she chose to do insanity and she thinks she will lose 100lbs just by doing the insanity program.

Replies

31993703 Posts: 1,144
    Options
    8JuWx.gif
  • NickDHussin
    Options
    Because they aren't thinking. Give her a book about fitness. Some people just think it is easier and doesn't require that much commitment.
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    What's her calorie intake like? If she's not eating too much and is doing something that intensive, she may very well lose weight if her caloric burn is higher than her intake. True you can't out exercise a bad diet but I don't know what/how she eats so I can't really say. But for most of us, it does require changing what we eat and moving more.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Well actually if her diet stayed the same but she went from sedentary to active by doing insanity, she may well lose weight if she has created enough of a deficit with the exercise....
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    people understand it they choose to ignore it...
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options

A lot of truth to this.

Our society pushes food so much - both the importance of it and the quantity of it. It's so difficult to step away from that mentality... but once you do, you wonder why you ever valued food so much, or why you ate so much of it.

I'm eating about half what I used to eat. I'm not hungry in the least and I feel great.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I agree!!
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    so true. I had someone try to argue with me that it wasn't the sugar/calories in soda that makes you fat. She claimed it was the carbonation! I tried to break it down mathematically less calories in more out you lose, more calories in less out, you gain. But she couldn't quite grasp it.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Well actually if her diet stayed the same but she went from sedentary to active by doing insanity, she may well lose weight if she has created enough of a deficit with the exercise....

Agreed. I lost about thirty pounds in 2001 and couldn't figure out why since I was still eating like crap. My friend pointed out that I'd been dancing 12 hours per week through a combination of the SCA and clubbing and that I probably ate about 2500 calories per day. I also had a fairly active job. I'd created enough of a calorie deficit to lose about two pounds per week. It just never occurred to me that going out and having fun could be exercise, but yeah... I'd dance non-stop for about 3-4 hours, and the sweat would pour.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    People are always looking for the easy way.
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    because you can, I waited a year before changing my diet and lost the majority of my weight with exercise.

What works for one person may not work for another...
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I learned to just ignore other peoples dietary issues. If someone is so interested in doing better all the information is at their fingertips. That applies to anything to, not even just fitness