Favorite book?

Options
13»

Replies

• carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I am a bookaholic so cannot choose but I am reading the sequel to The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss that someone else mentioned above and both the sequel (A Wise Man's Fear) and the first one are sooooo good. Best books I've read in a couple of years! Highly recommended.

• SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Right now, it's between The Midwife's Apprentice by Karen Cushman, Women of the Pleasure Quarters by Leslie Downer and most anything else dealing with geisha, and to go way back with it, The Paper Bag Princess.
  • 1969ned
    1969ned Posts: 219
    Options
    armistead maupins "Tales of the City" :happy:
  • 1917Ashley
    1917Ashley Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I for one, actually enjoyed 50 Shades of Grey trilogy! :blushing: :wink:
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    All time favorite has always been Alices Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. :smile:
  • sapphireswi
    sapphireswi Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    "good wives" . . . which comes after the preceding book "little women"
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Sum by David Eagleman is 40 very short essays/stories about what happens to us when we die
    A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini is a story about two Afghan women and how their lives intersect
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly is kind of hard to describe but it's sort of a darker fairy tale for grown-ups, not usually my cup of tea but I loved it
    Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier is a story of the young servant girl in Johannes Vermeer's famous painting
    Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury is a nostalgic story of the summer pursuits of a 12 year old boy and I think it captures a time and place (small town America, 1928) better than any other book I've read...puts you back in the mindset of being a kid, too
    Freakonomics by Steven Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner is a collection of interesting economic essays and I'll just copy the content from Wikipedia here: Chapter 1: Discovering cheating as applied to teachers and sumo wrestlers (See below), as well as a typical Washington DC area bagel business and its customers
    Chapter 2: Information control as applied to the Ku Klux Klan and real-estate agents
    Chapter 3: The economics of drug dealing, including the surprisingly low earnings and abject working conditions of crack cocaine dealers
    Chapter 4: The role legalized abortion has played in reducing crime, contrasted with the policies and downfall of Romanian dictator Nicolae Ceauşescu (Levitt explored this topic in an earlier paper entitled "The Impact of Legalized Abortion on Crime.")
    Chapter 5: The negligible effects of good parenting on education
    Chapter 6: The socioeconomic patterns of naming children (nominative determinism)
  • Ramoth48
    Ramoth48 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The Dragons of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey and now being written by her son Todd, on his own as they collaborated on a few. Also a new author l discovered no my kindle is Kirstie Cook, she writes a series called the Soul Savers and they are really good.l also have nearly all the Star Wars series of books which run almost into the hundreds when you take all the different sub sections into account, l'm soo sad!!! lol
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    200px-AtlasShrugged.jpg

most prophetic book since the bible.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    My favorites change but right now I am reading falling great book also anything by Jodi picoult and Deborah mccomber
  • JUSTLOSEIT101
    Options
    My fav authors are Rick Riordan and Ted Dekker.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Arc of Justice - Kevin Boyle

Man's Search for Meaning - Viktor E. Frankl
  • LisaRobyn73
    LisaRobyn73 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Not sure I could pick just one....Do you belong to Goodreads? I find that a great resource. For a quick read that sucks you in I like Chevy Stevens Still Missing and Never Knowing. I liked the Divergent and Insurgent. I am waiting on a couple books I reserved from the library that I heard about on NPR the other day. I also have read lots of freebees off pixel of ink I wouldn't have normally have found.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    The Power of Now - Eckhart Tolle
  • sundevil513
    Options
    The Tao of Pooh
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    The Bell Jar....Sylvia Plath
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I've been reading Sharon Ashwood's Dark Forgotten series lately. Dark and sexy paranormal romance novels, anyone?