Is 1000 calories too low for someone who cannot exercise?

Options
Hello,
I am 5'2 and weigh 123--I want to lose 10lbs and it seems that no matter what I try I can't lose. It doesn't help that I cannot exercise for a while so is 1000 calories to low? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Replies

• rurumomo
    Options
    I say to do 1,200 calories with no exercise... if you go below 1,200 your body is going into starvation mode
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    1,000 calories is to low for a 10 yr old girl who doesn't get out of bed all day .... eat more, just eat healthy food !
  • Cupcakejen
    Cupcakejen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    OK, I will try 1200 for the first week and see what happens. I want to lose 1 lb a week bc I have a trip in 6 weeks and want to be at least 6lbs down.
  • kestrel359
    kestrel359 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    you need to calculate your BMR and stay above that. 1000 is probably to low for someone your height
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    yes
  • Cupcakejen
    Options
    I tried cutting out all processed food from my diet 2 weeks ago, gave up bread and starches and only ate fruits, raw nuts and veggies and I still did not lose 1 pound!!!! It is so frustarting!!
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    why cant you exercise even 20 minutes walk a day will help...and eat around 1400 calories a day ...losing weight is a marathon not a sprint so dont kill yourself with doing less calories per day
  • Cupcakejen
    Options
    I broke my leg so I cannot walk anywhere :-(
  • Ktewson
    Ktewson Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    my 24 pound 2-year-old eats 1000 calories a day. You need more than that to get enough nutrition, even if it means you don't lose weight quickly or at all.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    OK, I will try 1200 for the first week and see what happens. I want to lose 1 lb a week bc I have a trip in 6 weeks and want to be at least 6lbs down.

Honestly, and I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you'd be better off aiming for a half pound a week, especially since you can't exercise. And seeing your more recent post, with a broken bone, you really REALLY want your nutrition to be great so you heal better and faster. Healing trumps losing a couple pounds before your trip.

When you have very little weight to lose, as you do, the body doesn't want to give it up. It's like trying to get a squirrel to eat from your hand... you have to coax it gently. Big sudden movements scare the squirrel away, and big sudden calorie deficits make your body say, "What the hell is going on? Is there a famine? Why didn't anyone tell me!?"
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    1000 cals when recovering from a broken leg is madness. IMHO.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options

Honestly, and I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you'd be better off aiming for a half pound a week, especially since you can't exercise. And seeing your more recent post, with a broken bone, you really REALLY want your nutrition to be great so you heal better and faster. Healing trumps losing a couple pounds before your trip.

When you have very little weight to lose, as you do, the body doesn't want to give it up. It's like trying to get a squirrel to eat from your hand... you have to coax it gently. Big sudden movements scare the squirrel away, and big sudden calorie deficits make your body say, "What the hell is going on? Is there a famine? Why didn't anyone tell me!?"

This! Every word!!
  • tanyar23
    tanyar23 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say that as someone who is also short, that I think that different people have metabolisms that vary. When I do 1200, it doesn't have that large of an impact. My current BMR is 1208 calories per day according to MFP.. Add in a sedentary job, like I have and I don't know how effective that is. If you don't see results with 1200, change it up.
  • mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    There's a tool on here for calculating your BMR (which is an estimate of what you may need in a coma). Plugging in your stats gave me 1216 cal. That's the LEAST you should eat. If you are really sedentary (sounds like you are), then don't eat a ton more, but still a bit more.

These things take time, so cutting out a crapload of stuff for a couple weeks does not give you a clue about what your body really needs or wants. It also doesn't give it time to figure stuff out and lose any fat.

When did you break your leg? Shock can do crazy stuff, so losing weight may not even be something you should force your body into right now. Maybe instead you can focus on eating healthy things that help your bones knit so there is less long term damage to your leg.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

1 pound a week at your current weight is probably a bit fast considering you can't workout. A 500 calorie deficit is rather difficult even if you are exercising so without exercise it's going to be REALLY REALLY hard to have that kind of loss.
  • tanyar23
    tanyar23 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

This! Every word!!

Actually, reading over your post and seeing you're recovering from an injury, I agree with the wisdom of the above poster.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Stop looking for an instant fix and setting unrealistic goals for yourself.

Some folks might even snicker that you are concerned about six pounds, but that aside, what has been said about such a small amount holds true. I've seen post after post from people struggling with the last ten pounds of their journey.

Listen to what the folks here have to say, pick an approach, and stick with it. Trying something for a week or two then switching because you didn't get the expected results is a fools errand.
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I would add protein...if you don't want the extra fat by eating meat, then try a protein drink....I am eating at various levels of calories, eating "dense nutrient foods", but I do not lose unless I'm under what MFP suggests (I am 4 ft 11) and have a sedentary job...I also can't eat raw vegies, and may have celiac or other intolerances....I always make sure I take a GOOD multivitamin..to fill in anywhere where I am not eating what I should...I have lost a total of 35 lbs so far in the last 2 years...not a lot, but it is coming off slowly...
  • WillardsMommy1
    Options
    I'm almost exactly your stats...If I can't exercise I don't lose. :( I've tried everything from 200 calories a day to Alternate Day fasting to HCG (ugh). This is over the course of two years & my self esteem has suffered hugely from trying everything and it ALWAYS failing. I'd say your best bet is to accept yourself for who & how you are until youve healed & can go slow & steady. I've finally come to terms with having a small deficit & expecting to lose much more slowly. I feel much better about myself & i'm seeing results finally.

That being said, if your BMR is around 1200 if you just eat 1200 I'm sure there would be abotu a 250 deficit a day & you'd still lose weight.

Also I'm pretty sure the metabolism of someone who is recovering from an injury or illness is naturally elevated from your system trying to recover needing additinoal energy sources. So I'd focus on the miracle of bone regrowth. :)
  • Cupcakejen
    Options
    Thank you everyone for you advice, I greatly appreciate all of it!!!! Lots of great feedback :-)