Starvation mode

Options
Can anyone shed some light on the starvation mode theory? I have been under shooting my daily calorie goal by a lot, thinking less is best. I am not seeing the results I would expect. I just can't believe that I need to eat more to lose! has anyone had experience with this, and had success by eating more?

Replies

• ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am experiencing the same issue. I just made myself a spinach/banana protein shake just to get my calories up to 1200 for the day! I have felt really hungry tho even though I have ate more regular meals than usual. What kinds of foods are you eating? I am on a modified Paleo diet. I just started today. I want to try to stick with it because I have heard tons of success stories.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Your body requires 1200 net calories a day for the cells to function properly. You need to eat enough for your net calories to be at least 1200 cal. a day after subtracting your exercises. If your cells don't receive enough calories to function it goes into starvation mode and slows down your metabolism so you won't lose wt. and you'll feel fatigues and your cells won't function properly.
  • rurumomo
    Options
    In out human anatomy we need at least 1,200 calories a day to provide nutrients to our different kinds of tissues in our body.... so don't eat below 1,200. If you exercise your suppose to be eaten whatever amount of calories extra you are burning. For example: if you are exercising and burning 300 calories a day you need to take the 1,200 and add 300 cal which gives you a total of 1500 calories but if you don't exercise go ahead and eat 1,200. But it also depends on your weight and height. I am 5ft 132 and it tells me to eat 1,200 without exercise and if i do burn 300 cal than I eat 1,500... hope this helps.
  • momentsend
    Options
    Your body requires X amount of calories to function properly. When your body identifies a pattern of calorie consumption below that need it slows its overall metabolism rate (BMR) and begins to consume itself to power vital organs (e.g. the brain). . The combination of a reduced BMR and self-consumption can be life threatening (e.g. Ketoacidosis) and can have long term negative effects on the brain and the heart.

In addition to the above effects, studies have shown that prolonged 'starvation mode' can lead to lifelong eating disorders, obesity and depression

When it comes to dieting, starvation mode is a very poor way to lose weight due to the overall reduction in BMR (plus all of the above reasons). You actually will lose LESS weight in starvation mode than you would on a 'normal' low calorie diet.
  • cindys0417
    cindys0417 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    In out human anatomy we need at least 1,200 calories a day to provide nutrients to our different kinds of tissues in our body.... so don't eat below 1,200. If you exercise your suppose to be eaten whatever amount of calories extra you are burning. For example: if you are exercising and burning 300 calories a day you need to take the 1,200 and add 300 cal which gives you a total of 1500 calories but if you don't exercise go ahead and eat 1,200. But it also depends on your weight and height. I am 5ft 132 and it tells me to eat 1,200 without exercise and if i do burn 300 cal than I eat 1,500... hope this helps.

So a little person(midget) and a 7th behemoth of a man would both require 1,200 calories a day minimum? Point is 1,200 calories is a cookie cutter number, doesn't apply to everyone. Older women also have a slower metabolism and can get away with less than 1,200 calories a day as well as people with low amount of muscle mass.

***this makes sense..Im older and Im fine eating lower calories even though people always tell me that I need to eat at least 1200 calories a day. sometimes if I am at a stand still and cant lose any...what I will do is have high calories one day and low calories the next and then high and then low and it seems to jump start my system and I seem to lose weight...thanks for the info!***
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Can anyone shed some light on the starvation mode theory? I have been under shooting my daily calorie goal by a lot, thinking less is best. I am not seeing the results I would expect. I just can't believe that I need to eat more to lose! has anyone had experience with this, and had success by eating more?

Starvation mode doesn't exist, worst case your metabolism slows down by 10% which isn't much. That doesn't mean you won't plateau though. That's the issue, and how the starvation mode theory evolved. WHen you greatly reduce calories the more likely you will hold water. Water and fat have roughly the same density, meaning they weigh about the same, and take up the same volume. Your fat cells can attract the water due to a glycerol molecule, and fill your fat cells up with water.

Result? you look the same, weigh the same and think you don't have less fat. The theory is wrong, but the method how to fix it is correct. Eating at a higher calorie level prevents this effect. It's known as dieters edema.

THIS!!! Always listen to the person with the most success.
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options

Starvation mode doesn't exist, worst case your metabolism slows down by 10% which isn't much. That doesn't mean you won't plateau though. That's the issue, and how the starvation mode theory evolved. WHen you greatly reduce calories the more likely you will hold water. Water and fat have roughly the same density, meaning they weigh about the same, and take up the same volume. Your fat cells can attract the water due to a glycerol molecule, and fill your fat cells up with water.

Result? you look the same, weigh the same and think you don't have less fat. The theory is wrong, but the method how to fix it is correct. Eating at a higher calorie level prevents this effect. It's known as dieters edema.

THIS!!! Awesome post! Absoutely ... starvation mode doesn't exist in our 'normal' day to day existence ... maybe in a 3rd world country where food is scarce and meals are few and far between, but not on a 1200 calorie a day diet. We could skip eating food for several days, and our bodies ... especially those of us with several pounds, such as myself ... would go to our fat stores for energy! It is ridiculous and I am glad someone finally posted such a well written, eloquent answer. Thank you!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    blah blah here we go again...but you don't need 1200 calories a day to keep your body out of starvation mode..you won't go into starvation mode until your body fat is below 5 or 6 % so you have a ways to go before you get there. 1200 is NOT the magical number for weight loss or even the mythical "starvation mode". I've eaten less than 1000 calories for 11 months and I have only had ONE plateau, my hair is NOT falling out and I'm losing weight just fine. I take a multi vitiman and fish oil for heart health. I also eat clean, meaning I don't eat processed foods, if it's from a box or a can or from a fast food joint and even processed lunch meat I stay away from it. I eat fresh fruits, veggies and chicken, pork and beef, along with fish a couple of days a week. So there goes the "ole" starvation mode theory out the window or at least for me, you may and probably will be different. You should find something that works for you. Also if you take a look at people Eating disorders specifically Anorexia, they eat very very VERY low and have tons of medical problems from eating that low. Anything less than 600 (what my doctor explained) is to low for your body functioning correctly. If you have more to lose like 100 lbs or more you can safely eat lower because you have more body fat to lose than someone who has only 50 lbs or less to lose.

My point at telling you that I eat low is to debunk this "starvation mode" rumor and let you know not to worry about it, it won't affect you unless your eating below 600 calories for a long period of time and your body fat gets below a certain percentage.

I also exercise 3 to 5 times a week and I don't eat back my exercise calories, because that's what I choose to do, you eat the way you want to eat.

I don't advicate eating low, I would never ever tell anyone else to eat the way I do, but I'm good with it and it works well for me. I'm very healthy and will continue to be healthy, just ask my doctor :smile:

And YES most people will still lose weight at good rate by eating more than 1200. Look for the Eat more to weigh Less group and find out your BMR and TDEE and go from there. But if you find it isn't working for you then change it.

You and only you are in control of YOUR new lifestyle.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    The premise of Eat More To Lose Weight is the battle against Starvation Mode.

Both are flawed and don't make sense.

If you want to get down to the nuts and bolts of it, I suggest you look into why long term caloric restriction causes a reduction of metabolism to start with.

A daily semi starvation diet is not natural, nor is it the best way to go about losing fat. That's my opinion though. I think there are better ways to go about changing body composition than worrying about calories and silly myths.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    All those starving fat people in 3rd world countries. They are starving, but their bodies just won't let go of the fat because they need to eat more.
  • rurumomo
    Options
    Well 1,200 is the min... with no exercise according to Doctors. If exercise you eat more. Look it up....
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    the amount of calories that your body requires is equal to or greater than your Basal Metabolic Rate. For most people, that is a lot more than 1200 calories. Here's a useful formula:

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

To lose weight and maintain successfully you must eat between BMR and TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). You can go over some days and under others -- it all evens out as long as you're in the proper range to maintain your energy and fuel your work outs. Eating too little sets you up for yo-yo frustration, stalling and . . . . wait for it . . . . GAINING very easily whenever you have a splurge.

Consider more lifting and less cardio so you can increase lean muscle mass -- that's what really makes a person look good, not just skinny and mushy.
  • britneyy32
    britneyy32 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't believe starvation mode exists. Yes your metabolism does slow down when you eat less, and it will slow down even when you are losing weight in a healthy way, it's unavoidable but it doesn't ever slow down greatly. Also I don't see why everyone thinks that everyone should eat a minimum of 1200 calories, we are all different and we all require a different amount of calories. You technically should eat at least your BMR since that's the amount of calories your organs need to function properly, and that's different for everyone.
  • snowfox1
    snowfox1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • anjoneill
    anjoneill Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Work out your total daily calorie expenditure. For a woman this is going to be between anywhere upto about 2,000 and then reduce it by 250 to 500 calories depending on how much you would like to lose each week. Exercise 4 x per week and eat a well balanced diet and the weight will come off. There is no magic to it. It is just a case of finding what works for you.

The better the quality of the food that you eat the less likely you are to feel hungry and the better fed your body will feel and so that will help significantly. There is a lot to be said for the 'you are what you eat' theory.
  • davidsgirl145
    davidsgirl145 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    All those starving fat people in 3rd world countries. They are starving, but their bodies just won't let go of the fat because they need to eat more.

da bomb diggitty :laugh:
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options

Hallelujah!

Thank you! I'm so tired of this starvation mode crap!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

Thanks, I hadn't heard the term "dieters edema" before, stumbled on this (part 1 of 2) which some may find interesting:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/01/how-to-deal-with-water-retention-part.html
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

My sweet spot is around 1700 calories a day at 5' 3" 149 pounds. If I even drop down to around 1600 the scale seems to stay the same for me. You just have to find the level your body is comfortable losing at.
  • cynthiawallach
    cynthiawallach Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    yes i have tried all of the diets that want you to eat little to no food at all it is very bad for you an your body stops working the why god wants it to work you need to eat to lose but you also need to eat healthy no junk food or large amounts of food . Myfitnesspal is awesome stick with it an eat what your body needs to work for you not against you :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: