what do you do ???????????????????????????

Options
so I have a question...what do you do when you can't get to the gym............I know that there are some that would say that not going to the gym is just making excuses however there are sometimes lig. reasons to why a person can not make. For me I can't get to the gym till monday afternoon. My husband is a disabled vet and when things are going bad for him it sometimes requires that I am home with him. Leaving him home alone long enough to go to the gym is not an option, so I need other options. Usually these time periods don't last long but this one has been going on since thurs. night (which resulted in me canceling my physical therapy appointment for both friday and this coming monday). I stated monday afternoon because I called family and they are coming down then because I have a number of doctor appointments next week that I can't miss including a sleep study.

I have been doing some deep cleaning of my house since I can't go anywhere, which does work up a sweat and I'm sure burns some calories but I don't think it is the same as going to the gym

Replies

• chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have a list I do when I don't feel like doing a workout dvd.

Stretch and warm up first

30 Jumping Jacks
    20 Squats
    30 Bicycle Crunches
    10 Push Ups
    60 second Arm Circles
    30 Second Plank
    20 Walking Lunges
    30 Windmills
    30 Hip Thrusts
    10 Dumbbell Rows (chair w/lbs)
    15 second Plank
    60 second Flutter kicks (pulses)
    30 squat & arm extensions
    60 second mountain climber
    10 Push Ups
    60 Tricep extensions (30 each)
    60 second Wall Sit with bicep curls

Repeat 2-3 times and go longer on each exercise if you can

Stretch and cool down
  • cue_chik
    cue_chik Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    you could purchase a piece or two of equipment like a treadmill or elliptical machine so that you can still work out without having to leave him home alone. but you can find second hand equipment on places like Craigslist and local garage sales, that way you'd save on out of pocket expenses and still keep the gym membership if you wanted.
  • ZeeShay
    ZeeShay Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    i would say look up workouts on youtube there are tons.. i usually do the strength stuff at home... weights sit-up push ups. some times i do exercises i remember from dvds i used to have anything to work up a sweat. http://youtu.be/LYHJskJaHDc here is a work out that always makes me sweat... this is only the first part but im sure you can find the rest. hope this helps some.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Youtube 30 Day Shred - Do Level 1. Problem solved!

I have a similar workout to the one above, but maybe a bit shorter, more beginner level:

20 squats
    10 push-ups
    20 lunges
    15 dumbbell rows each side
    15 second plank
    30 jumping jacks

Repeat 3 times. Copyright Nerd Fitness (:
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    I have a list I do when I don't feel like doing a workout dvd.

Stretch and warm up first

30 Jumping Jacks
    20 Squats
    30 Bicycle Crunches
    10 Push Ups
    60 second Arm Circles
    30 Second Plank
    20 Walking Lunges
    30 Windmills
    30 Hip Thrusts
    10 Dumbbell Rows (chair w/lbs)
    15 second Plank
    60 second Flutter kicks (pulses)
    30 squat & arm extensions
    60 second mountain climber
    10 Push Ups
    60 Tricep extensions (30 each)
    60 second Wall Sit with bicep curls

Repeat 2-3 times and go longer on each exercise if you can

Stretch and cool down
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    you could purchase a piece or two of equipment like a treadmill or elliptical machine so that you can still work out without having to leave him home alone. but you can find second hand equipment on places like Craigslist and local garage sales, that way you'd save on out of pocket expenses and still keep the gym membership if you wanted.

I would love to be able to do this however two issues, one don't have much room for something like this and two the ones that will hold my weight as I am morbidly obese cost more than what I can afford
  • libland
    libland Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy and just keep moving. As long as you are eating the right portions and quality food, the weight will come off. Do what you can to stay active - yes deep cleaning of the house counts - and get to the gym when you can. It is all about a lifestyle change and we can't always get to the gym.
  • jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I second 30 day shred. Great work out and only 20 mins, so there's no excuse! :o)
  • tamba01
    tamba01 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't have a membership to a gym. I workout every day though. Try some video tapes of something you like to do. Like dancing, zumba, hot hula, anything that keeps you moving. Try walking if the weather permits, if not you can do alot of walking, including lunges, etc. in your home. I know that it's hard to get motivated if you don't go to the gym, but you can do alot of exercises at home.
  • lts42uk
    lts42uk Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I agree about 30 day shred .... and would add that any Jillian Micheals DVD or Jackie Warner DVD is good. I never go to the gym, I only do workout DVDs from home and cycle to work. It works for me. I'm working myself up to doing Insanity.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Heavy cleaning burns calories, and you can even log it. Since you say you are morbidly obese, perhaps taking 3-4 short, fast walks outside each day, maybe 10 minutes each, are an option? That way, you aren't away from your husband for long, but get in some exercise and feel a sense of accomplishment to help you stay on track.
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I have a few workout DVDs, mainly Jillian Michaels. Anything from 20 minutes to a one hour workout, so easy to fit in to whatever time you have available.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I have a few workout DVDs, mainly Jillian Michaels. Anything from 20 minutes to a one hour workout, so easy to fit in to whatever time you have available.

^^ This. I haven't been to the gym in 2 years, the world is my gym now. So many options for at-home workout videos. Go outside for a run, or walk to your destinations instead of driving. Run up and down the stairs in your house. Invest in some dumbbells/free weights and use them at home.
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I have a few dvd workouts, however, they are so hard that I often can't get through them. I need to find some beginner ones. I was looking at one that you can do all while sitting in a chair or on a balance ball. Thought about that and using a balance ball instead of a chair for when times are like this
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I have a book called You Are Your Own Gym, by Mark Lauren. It has lists of exercises that you can do without gym equipment (things like press-ups), and workouts for different levels of fitness. I also bought the app that goes along with it, and I love it! The workouts are fairly short, so are easy to fit in if I can't get to the gym.

If you don't want to buy a book or app, there is lots of free information online about body weight exercises. Try googling Nerd Fitness or have a look at the Convict Conditioning channel on Youtube. Scooby's Workshop also has some information that I've found useful.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    If you are a beginner, Leslie Sansone programs are great. Low impact and you can get DVDs, or find them on line. Her site is walkathome.com or I believe thee are some on YouTube.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Jog or ride a bike. Jogging can always be done, no matter where you are.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I do videos on You tube or the On Demand feature on cable has some fun workouts too
  • swimbikerun2006
    swimbikerun2006 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Chiming in on the home workout/video/YouTube stuff.....don't worry if you can't do it all- just do what you can. Modify the workout until you get strong enough to do the whole thing. Using the balance ball is a great idea! I totally get your situation as we cared for my MIL in our home for 7 years & were plenty of times that we could not leave the house.

Mostly, take care of yourself. Physically & mentally. Being a caregiver in and of itself brings a level of stress that can't be described.
  • Soloflyergirl2
    Soloflyergirl2 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Stretch for 10 minutes..
    March in Place to John Phillips Sousa marches.... on dvd..... Keep marching.
    Lilft arms up and down during the March.
    Watch tv show. " Sit and Be Fit." You are seated, and she directs you through exercises. You'd be surprised how lifting your arms up , crossing legs, turning, etc. while seated, over a period of time can be a work out.
    Buy a DVD and walk with Lesllie Sansone.... In 20 minute workout , you warm up.... walk in place, kick, raise arms at the elbow... etc.... and you are burning calories.
    Use two soup cans, Progresso, for weights and lift , repeat.
    Breathe in... breathe out.... Repeat. Best wishes.