anyone like canned salmon

Options
finickyfeline2
finickyfeline2 Posts: 10 Member
I bought a can of canned salmon a while ago but am afraid to use it! LOL
It just seems weird to me to eat salmon from a can. Does anyone like it or have any good ways to incorporate it into the diet. I would like to use it because it is so good for you. Any recipes would be appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• Susanthecatwhisperer
    Options
    My mom makes salmon croquettes (cakes) that are super yummy!! I don't have a recipe, but I'm sure there's tons on line. :smile:
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options
    croquettes are a great way to use canned salmon!!!
    i personally love the taste of it plain, to be honest
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    you can add a little of fat free or calorie free mayo to it and make a sandwich with it.

Mix with avocado and light dressing in salad or spread on crackers.

simply mixed with mash potatoes (my mom made that billions time when I was young)
  • shinkalork
    Options
    best advice for can salmon........ Pay more!

Can salmon can taste terrible when it's the cheap one.... I prefer to pay a bit more for it.
    Tuna is less problematic for that in my opionion
  • finickyfeline2
    Options
    That sounds yummy. I will look up salmon cakes! Thank you
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I use it in pita bread mixed with Greek yogurt a little cucumber, tomato, and chopped dill.
  • finickyfeline2
    Options
    Do you know which brands are good? thank you
  • shinkalork
    Options
    cloverleaf
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Feed it to someone's cat. I've probably purchased the wrong brands, but it was always nasty! Fresh is so much better!
  • rhodenizer
    rhodenizer Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I bought a can of canned salmon a while ago but am afraid to use it! LOL
    It just seems weird to me to eat salmon from a can. Does anyone like it or have any good ways to incorporate it into the diet. I would like to use it because it is so good for you. Any recipes would be appreciated. Thanks
    Use it all the time. I do grilled sandwiches with it, add it to pasta ....salmon is high in omeg 3
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Canned Salmon.... Yikes! Here Kitty Kitty....
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Simple Salmon cakes
    Can salmon
    2 eggs
    Mix well and fry

Best add ins, pick one or all! My favorite is the simple recipe + everything with an asterisk. Enough for 4 people. 350 cals for 2 big patties even using full fat cheese and bacon grease or cocunut oil to fry. Feels like you are getting soemthing very bad for you without the carbs or cals :)

2 cups of cooked spaghetti squash drained well*
    4 strips bacon*
    2 oz cheddar*
    1 Tbs parmesean or feta*
    Garlic to taste*
    Basil to taste*
    Dash or two of Worstechire sauce*
    Green onion
    Panko or crushed crackers (not necessary especially if you add the squash)
    Smoke flavor (omit worstechire)
    Salsa on top

This recipe can be cut in half if you would like to use a regular size can of tuna instead of a can of salmon.

The salmon is also great on top of a green salad, in pasta, or scrambled in eggs with some feta and spinach.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    hope you got the one without bones!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    hope you got the one without bones!

Most have some bones but they are very soft. Crush them with a fork a little before putting them in whatever you cook, but you won't crunch into them or anything. If you eat it raw, then you have to pick them out or know that you will notice them.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I don't eat salmon, or any other meat/flesh, but, I grew up in Alaska where (home) canned salmon is very popular. If you look around online, you can probably find some good recipes. The only thing I can think of right now though is my step brother who used to eat it on oatmeal--yeah, not so much.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Simple Salmon cakes
    Can salmon
    2 eggs
    Mix well and fry

Great idea!! I've had a can sitting in my cupboard forever and have no clue why I even bought it. I'm going to use it for this now :)
  • farmboyphotography
    farmboyphotography Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Go for wild-caught salmon. It tends to cost more, but you get what you pay for. Check out this information about wild-caught vs. farm-raised salmon. FWIW, I wouldn't touch farm-raised salmon and would certainly not feed it to my family.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=96
  • RoughDiamondUK
    RoughDiamondUK Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Pick out all the obvious bones (unless you paid more for the ones where they've already done this), mash up with a fork, sprinkle with vinegar, then make sandwiches with it... I add sliced cucumber to mine. Or you can use mayo/salad cream if you prefer, instead of vinegar.

I've also used mashed salmon with pasta salads, and you could also use it as a jacket (baked) potato topping.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I can't bring myself to eat it because I feed it to my wee beasty scotty dog for nutrition and a shiny coat.

He's a snob and likes Bear and Wolf Wild Alaskan Pink Salmon. I order it off Amazon, it's hard to find wild salmon canned it seems.
  • forasmallerass
    Options
    Bump