help i have fallen off the wagon

Options
I thought once i had surgery I would not gain weight during the holidays. Big mistake I have gained 4 pounds since thanksgiving, WTH. I need some butt kicking or something I am starting back on my protein shakes for breakfast. I am also trying to keep it under 800 calories a day and under 50 grams of carbs. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :cry:

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you talk to your doctor/wls consultant/nutritionist/etc about this. Sounds like you thought wls would be a quick fix for bad eating habits, which is obviously not the case. You need to work out your food issues.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to get back on the wagon after holidays by easing back into my regular eating routine. If I go from having 2000+ cals in a day to 1200 or fewer cals the next day, I am a miserable beast and much more likely to fall back off the wagon. After Thanksgiving I gave myself the rest of the long weekend to enjoy some leftovers and be a little relaxed about calories, but then on Monday I was ready to go back to normal and the 3.5 pounds I gained over Thanksgiving weekend fell off without effort in two days. Don't be too hard on yourself or restrict yourself too much. This is supposed to be something that you can sustain for life. Clearly you know how to lose weight, but restricting so much probably isn't going to help you maintain that loss forever.
  • joanneg572
    joanneg572 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Don't lose hope, my dear!!! You have accomplished so much by shedding over 100 pounds!! The road may be bumpy, but you aren't off in the ditch. Get yourself (and your mind) back up in the wagon! You are on the road to success! Don't let anyone or anything sabotage your goal for health. YOU are worth it!!! It won't be easy, but press on! You won't be sorry in the end. :flowerforyou:
  • Nanook8
    Nanook8 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Instead of protein shakes and eating less than 1000 calories, I would suggest you fill yourself up on healthy foods, like fresh vegetables and fruit. The weight will come off. Don't give up, just refocus and definitely consult with your doctor or a nutritionist. You can lose weight by eating great food!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you talk to your doctor/wls consultant/nutritionist/etc about this. Sounds like you thought wls would be a quick fix for bad eating habits, which is obviously not the case. You need to work out your food issues.

^^ This ^^
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Is there a medical reason why you want to keep your calories so low? 800 cals is very low and hard to get all the nutrients in that you need.

If you have to keep under a certain amount of cals for a medical reason it is best to speak with a nutritionist as you need to ensure you are getting everything you need.
  • Juashmom
    Options
    I went away for a week over vacation road trip=fast food....logged everything as best I could...took a day or two to get reorganized...was up 6lbs when I returned but as of this am...I'm within 1 lb...Drink lots of water and get bac on track those 5lbs will come right off.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    800 cals a day and protein shakes for breakfast is a recipe for another disaster. You need to see a professional. Start with your general practitioner doctor, they'll direct you to the appropriate resource.
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Obviously you have done a whole lot of something right to lose 100+ lbs. Congratulations! I know several people who have and the surgery and EVERY one of them hit the wall. Weight loss is HARD no matter the road you choose. Surgery may give you the added boost to get motivated and moving in the right direction but it doesn't solve the underlying issue. I would hope that somewhere near where you live is a support group that you could join for some extra help. I also hope that any doctor who performs this surgery has a support system in place for his patients. Please see if you can find something concrete in your area. I know for me personally it's all about where my head is. IF it's not in a good place neither are the choices I make surrounding diet and exercise. Being healthy at our age is so worth the effort and will make a huge difference in the upcoming years. So hang in there!!! I always begin with small steps... Just take one small step today...
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Kind of hard to give advice when we don't know the reason behind the extremely restrictive diet.
  • shezzamess
    Options
    I thought once i had surgery I would not gain weight during the holidays. Big mistake I have gained 4 pounds since thanksgiving, WTH. I need some butt kicking or something I am starting back on my protein shakes for breakfast. I am also trying to keep it under 800 calories a day and under 50 grams of carbs. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :cry:

You can definately gain weight after WLS. Depending on the type that you had you are more than likely retaining water. This close to your surgery you are not capable of eating enough to gain weight, you have an 18 month window to get as much use of this tool out of it as you can.

Sip sip sip water through out the day, drink your protein shakes to ensure that you are getting enough protein. Don't be so hard on yourself, Holidays are hard for everyone! You are doing what you know to do, just keep with it! I had Gastric Bypass 7 years ago and I still drink 2 protein shakes a day, I can not eat enough solid food to get the right amount of protein for me to feel good!

You did not gain weight, you are retaining water!
  • sonOZeus
    Options
    dont beat yourself up! 4lbs over the holidays is really not that big a deal, and certainly isnt "falling off the wagon" imo, dont sweat the small stuff! just stay consistent and get back to your normal routine restricting yourself now is only going to increase the chance of falling of the wagon again.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    dont beat yourself up! 4lbs over the holidays is really not that big a deal, and certainly isnt "falling off the wagon" imo, dont sweat the small stuff! just stay consistent and get back to your normal routine restricting yourself now is only going to increase the chance of falling of the wagon again.

This.

and 800? why?