Kombucha??

Options
I read about Kombucha after trying it and enjoying it (GT's Synergy) .. Anyone have side effects? Do you think this is a healthy addition to my lifestyle changes or should i eliminate??

Replies

• MizMelis26
    MizMelis26 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've tried it, the Synergy. almost $5 I will never get back. I know some people like it, but i definitely didn't. I don't see anything wrong with drinking the product . It's raw and organic, so it has no added crap to it. I didn't have any side effect's after drinking it. I think it's pretty healthy, it's just tea with added raspberry and lemon.
  • hleva
    hleva Posts: 8
    Options
    Learn to make your own kombucha, in the meantime save all the bottles you can.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Learn to make your own kombucha, in the meantime save all the bottles you can.

Then resell them so that you can use the profits to buy more ;)
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Make your own. Side effects include better digestion, stronger immune system and overall better health.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I love the booch!
  • des104gr8ness
    des104gr8ness Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.. Question.. I think i had a side effect yesterday?? I drank about 16 oz.. during lunch and later in evening after i did an exercise class. I had a bad stomach pain almost couldnt drive and then had to rush to the bathroom and was nauseous and sweats and almost passed out.??? Today i feel fine but could that have been the Kombuchas.. I ran down what i ate and it was nothing heavy nothing out of the norm.. ?? I drank enough water.. I worked out hard but not that much harder than other days??

Thats the only thing i could think of? I watched a video on possible side effects and that couldve been a cleansing crisis? I am coming off a SAD diet

But I will go slow on the Kombucha .. And drink smaller amounts throughout days and skip days and see.. I dont want that to happen again.. It was a bad 1 hour of severe pain sweats nauseous and "bm" almost passed out.. UGGGHHHH
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I finally have my first home made brew of booch! Very good!!!
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I must be weird then, I HATED the stuff!!! it was sooo fizzy and it was bitter and icky to me. Is there a specific brand and/or flavor I could try that might be better for a beginner?
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I never had store bought booch… I got my scoby from a friend.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I am not sure if it was from the booch I made, but my left kidney started hurting, and I started getting migraines with intense visual impairment. Maybe the booch became contaminated. Not sure. I had never had migraines before. The second batch was visibly bad. Also, my room began to wreak of yeast… overpoweringly so. There is some natural yeast very visible on my extremely large aloe plant that may have cross contaminated the booch. Either way, I discarded the booch, and may try again in the future.
  • fallser
    Options
    Thanks everyone.. Question.. I think i had a side effect yesterday?? I drank about 16 oz.. during lunch and later in evening after i did an exercise class. I had a bad stomach pain almost couldnt drive and then had to rush to the bathroom and was nauseous and sweats and almost passed out.??? Today i feel fine but could that have been the Kombuchas.. I ran down what i ate and it was nothing heavy nothing out of the norm.. ?? I drank enough water.. I worked out hard but not that much harder than other days??

Thats the only thing i could think of? I watched a video on possible side effects and that couldve been a cleansing crisis? I am coming off a SAD diet

But I will go slow on the Kombucha .. And drink smaller amounts throughout days and skip days and see.. I dont want that to happen again.. It was a bad 1 hour of severe pain sweats nauseous and "bm" almost passed out.. UGGGHHHH

I've heard you should not drink more than 4-8oz. per day.
  • Lady_Pieface
    Lady_Pieface Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I notice that some of you are making your own 'brooch (I love that), any tips for someone who is considering but has never made it before? I'm a big fan of the gt's, but I can't support my habit and pay tuition at the same time:)
  • sak90027
    sak90027 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i'm addicted to kombucha. i drink the GT Synergy Trilogy flavor. i tried other flavors and like gingerade and original but i find this one to be the perfect balance. I drink no more than 8oz but can drink 16oz a day easily. it really helps me with curbing my sweet tooth. when i want something sweet after lunch/dinner i'll drink some kombucha and somehow it helps me control my apetite. i hate that it's almost $4 a bottle. i was recently in a different state (colorado) and it was about $2.00-$2.50 a bottle.

i've thought about making my own but sounds like a PIA and i don't have enough room in the kitchen.

i've been drinking it for a year or so and never experienced any side effects even at the beginning.
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    For those of you that make your own kombucha...how hard is the process of making it? Love,love kombucha!
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to the stuff. I'd make my own if I had the time. For now I'm paying full price for GTs except when I buy a case every now and then.

ETA: I've never had a bad reaction to it. I'm thankful for the extra wee beasties it provides my body. Also I have found it to be an excellent hangover helper if I happen to imbibe too much.
  • ampherz
    ampherz Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Kombucha is so easy. You can even make your own using one of the store-bought brews. It just takes a lot longer.

Brew 1 gallon of tea (hot water + 4/5 black tea bags - with no essential oils added like bergamot, just pure black tea). Add 1 cup sugar. Make sure it dissolves. Wait until the mixture is room temperature, and add a SCOBY. Taste with a straw after about a week. Keep tasting until it's just right. Refrigerate.

Add slices of ginger or dried fruit for a secondary ferment (and more fizz) in the fridge.

It is a little gross making it on your own. SCOBYs look brown and gelatinous, and they're alive! If you're ok with a slime fermenting your tea, go for it. I love it.

To grow you own scoby, just add a lot of the store-bought kombucha to your new brew. Wait probably a month, and you'll see a SCOBY form on top. Ta-da.
  • carl224
    carl224 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    where can you get a case of GT Kombucha? Tired of paying 3.75 each time.
  • kansasgal19
    kansasgal19 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

It is my experience that 16 oz is a bit much on my stomach. I drink half a bottle or less each day - also saves me the cost of drinking a full 16 ounce bottle. I stopped getting any stomach pains with the smaller amounts. :)