Juicing

Options
Hi, just wondering, are there any people on here that do juicing?

What kinda recipes do you use?

Do you hace things like a "breakfast blend" or whatever?

Replies

• wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I tried juicing but I was too expensive to keep up. I just made up my own. I found I preferred juice that was primarily fruit based with a couple veggies thrown in. Probably a 3:1 ratio for me. I disliked kale, besides it didn't really give much juice. Celery, nope didn't like. But beets in moderation and carrots were ok. Lemons really added a nice tang. Grapefruit in a very small amount otherwise it was way to tart. Apples and blueberries were my two favorites.

I've read things where people will have fruit based ones for breakfast and then transition to more veggie based for other meals but I think it is all completely personal and what you prefer.
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Kagami_Taiga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I tried juicing but I was too expensive to keep up. I just made up my own. I found I preferred juice that was primarily fruit based with a couple veggies thrown in. Probably a 3:1 ratio for me. I disliked kale, besides it didn't really give much juice. Celery, nope didn't like. But beets in moderation and carrots were ok. Lemons really added a nice tang. Grapefruit in a very small amount otherwise it was way to tart. Apples and blueberries were my two favorites.

I've read things where people will have fruit based ones for breakfast and then transition to more veggie based for other meals but I think it is all completely personal and what you prefer.

Thanks. I'm thinking of getting one and using it for breakfast and as "snacks" kinda thing. Just something to keep me occupied during the day between meals.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I have heard that juicing is actual a pretty bad idea it causes sugar spikes.. I am not sure though and would love to see what others have to say :)
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    http://veganmunch.wordpress.com/2012/11/25/3-reasons-why-you-should-juice/

fat - 2.74lbs lost....... Muscle - 3.49lbs gained

Within a week, Juicing once a day PLUS workouts.... Not saying everyone will get these kind of results, but it's working for me...
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    My sister does it and she has a juice every day for lunch along with a few almonds. For her it really works for her lifestyle. I know she does find it a bit expensive but it's still cheaper then eating out. She is not doing a juice fast however and makes sure to eat plenty of whole foods. She says it helps her feel lighter throughout the day and she always has a big breakfast and dinner. I think you have to do what works for you.

So, if it is something you might actually keep up with then I think it's a nice option.

I just want to add that her juice like like 80% vegetable and 20% fruit. Also, your sugar levels aren't going to spike any more then they would with actually eating the fruit. You still get the water soluble vitamins and minerals but you miss out on fiber. Not a problem if you already get enough.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I love juicing when I have the time. We generally make two big separate batches -- one with greens (any variation of kale, spinach, swiss chard, garlic, ginger) and one "orange" batch (carrots plus any variation of apples, pears, pineapple, celery). Then I'll drink either the green juice alone or green and orange mixed (unless I am simply not in the mood for green at all). It doesn't have to be an exact science since it's all good for you, but I'd go higher on the green ratio since any fruit-based juice will be higher in sugar and calories.

As far as the sugar spikes, that's only if you drink a bunch of fruit only juice and not much else with it.

BTW, I don't juice as a meal replacement. I'll have it as juice with breakfast or as a in-between meal snack.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    As long as its not in place of a meal you should do well in moderation. I found that kale, carrots and beets go well with citrus and greens taste better juiced with blue or raspberries... Good Luck
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Check out green smoothies. The benefits of juicing with all of the fiber juicing takes out.
  • jaroyan
    jaroyan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm the "juicer" T.K. is referring to above. I do love doing it as I feel it makes my office lunches easy and enjoyable. I don't have to drag a big lunch w/ me and I don't end up eating out or microwaving anything. The juices tend to be around 250-300 calories and I usually do: 1 c. spinach, 1c. kale (1 big leaf), 1/2 grapefruit, 1 apple (or pear), 2 carrots (medium), 2 celery stalks, 1 small beet (or 1/2 a large). It's important to note that I'm use to the taste and don't mind the grit or abundance of veggie; it is a nice palate cleanser for the rest of the day. Whether it's "good/bad" is really quite subjective and if you're worried about it to that extent, you should be addressing that question with a dietician (not a G.P.). In any case, I don't notice any sugar spikes, but I don't have issues with that anyhow. I love it because as I said, it's easy to do and stick with as well as makes me feel better for having gotten in so many fruits and veggies for the day. If this were a truly bad thing to do, do you think juice bars would be around after 15+ years? Just use your best judgement and ask the right questions.