Kept going (w/pics)

Options
wendytc
wendytc Posts: 189 Member
8/27/12 I took a leap of faith and started C25k. I could barely do the required 60 seconds of jogging alternating with 90 seconds of walking which is the first week's assignment. I sucked wind and gasped for breath, but I did it and kept going. I remember those early days looking desperately at the timer praying for the run segments to finish. Heart racing, out of breath and trying desperately to hang in there. I kept going.

My shin splints were off the chart painful and my knees hurt. Plantar fasciatis threatened to side line me. I bought new running shoes that had a little more arch support and kept going. Shins still were a major issue with shooting pain at every step, I embraced the pain but knew I needed to find a solution. I researched, asked for help from MFP members and finally came across www.goodformrunning.com. I watched the videos on their site over and over and studied the diagrams as if I was studying for a final exam. I made some adjustments to my form and stride and within a week, the shin splints were gone!
About this time I hurt myself on the treadmill because the belt was loose and I was in pain for about 2 weeks. Disappointed, but not derailed, I took off a week and walked or used elliptical instead and kept going.

I came across a womens running group on CNN called Black Girls Run who was hosting a run in Atlanta and found out they had members in Orlando (over 55,000 members nationwide!!), I immediately joined and took my training to the pavement. I was very scared about going to the pavement because of the impact and my weight. I certainly did not want to hurt myself, but you can't run a 5k on a treadmill!! I was DEFINITELY intimidated because the group's name says "RUN" and I certainly did not think of myself as someone who could run, but every woman I met in the group was encouraging, welcoming and soooo supportive!! All ages, all sizes, all ethnic races, all levels. Some walk, some jog, some wog (walk & jog) some run , some run alot. There was a place for everyone, including me.

Here is a recent facebook post from one of our BGR Ambassadors: Attention to ALL the women around who want to be fit but don't want to do it alone, here's a message from the ambassadors of the BGR! Orlando group: "Ladies, if you are not joining us because we are Black Girls RUN!, please do NOT be intimidated...we are here to help get you to where YOU want to go. We walk, we jog, we wog..we do what we CAN! There are runs all over the city, plan on going to one. If there's not one near you, PLAN one...Michelle and I (Leslie) can help get you started! Let's keep this MOVEment going!!!!" www.BlackGirlsRUN.com <---there's the link if you're interested!! ♥ I hope to see all of you on the pavement and "preserving your sexy!"

I completed C25k on November 16th and had completed 2 5k's before my "graduation" :) When I was early into C25k, I certainly did not think I would EVER be able to run a whole 5k without stopping. Now, in all I have done 3 and not only know its possible but that the sky is the limit! I am still quite far from my weight loss goals. I am down a total of 50 pounds and 3 pounds away from my half-way mark, but I now have the belief that as long as I keep moving forward, I WILL eventually get there. My goal is lose the last 50 before June 2012 or sooner. However my focus has shifted from exercising to lose weight, to losing weight so I can enjoy exercising and running more easily.

Yesterday was my first "Big" race with over 4000 participants and I will tell you that being there with 30 other BGR women cheering for each other and waiting for the last one to cross the finish line was an amazing experience!!

Was the race easy? No. Did I want to stop running at any point of the race course? Yes. Did I stop? No. I KEPT GOING! Do I love running? No, not yet. But I suspect one day I will, especially as the weight comes off.
I can do this, ....actually I AM doing this....and I AM going to keep going.

~Making it happen
Wendy

Now for pics:

facebook_-981584759.jpg

530494_4380970397296_1758045676_n.jpg

263668_10151299220967621_224942731_n.jpg

Replies

• ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Good job!
  • morticiamom
    morticiamom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring! I started C25k last week, but only after I'd worked up to running 60 seconds at a time :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: . It got easier fast.
  • 041jackson
    041jackson Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Keep going!
  • ohmelgosh79
    ohmelgosh79 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
  • mhoup
    mhoup Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Awesome story. Hope to get back in to running! I have done some 5ks and a 10k. Love your story and your group. I used to have a small group called the wannabees ( wannabee runners ) Again, great job!!!!!
  • raveycakes11
    Options
    Amazing story! Thank you for sharing. Its awesome that you kept at it even when it was intimidating to you. :) Also I have to say--you have a gorgeous smile!
  • SheenSZF
    Options
    Great progress - keep it up!
  • alexiaans
    alexiaans Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Amazing! I completed C2K but then had to start over from the beginning after suffering an injury. Ready to get back started. Congratulations to you!
  • shortchange1
    shortchange1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Great job and dedication. What a beautiful picture of a bunch of strong and beautiful women! Keep up the great work!
    :bigsmile:
  • Vicki_Tx
    Vicki_Tx Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You have inspired me, THANK YOU! I'm going to look for a running group in my area. I'm not a runner, but can become one!
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    SO INSPIRING!!! you look fantastic and reading this is helping me realize that I can do the c25k too, since i am SUCKING WIND at week 2. lol...
    Great job!!!
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I love this. And you. You are amazing! :flowerforyou:
  • HealthyLivingKathy
    HealthyLivingKathy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I am inspired!! Thanks so much.
  • wendytc
    Options
    Awesome story. Hope to get back in to running! I have done some 5ks and a 10k. Love your story and your group. I used to have a small group called the wannabees ( wannabee runners ) Again, great job!!!!!

I have tried and tried to get walking buddies and it always seemed to fizzle out. Check with your local running specialty store and they will be able to put you in touch with some local groups in your area. In Orlando we have "Track Shack" and "Fleet Feet" who sponsors most races. Black Girls RUN! is open to all women, and they would welcome your with open arms, so check the main website to see if they have a group in your area.

As Nike says: "Just do it"
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Great work Wendy! It's all about setting goals and achieving them!
  • wendytc
    Options
    Great work Wendy! It's all about setting goals and achieving them!

The "goals" have been really what has kept me going. I switched from weight milestone goals, such as x pounds by x date, because you cannot DIRECTLY affect your weight, however, you can DIRECTLY affect your actions. So my goals are all action oriented. My current goal is to complete 200 miles (running, walking, ellitpical, etc. by the end of January. I used Runkeeper which shows my progress towards that goal. That's what works for me. :happy: :wink:
  • mclay12
    mclay12 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Great Job!!! I starting training for a 10k in July of this year!! I am running my first half marathon in 2 weeks!!! Love your story!!!
    Going to send you a friend request!!!
  • wendytc
    Options
    SO INSPIRING!!! you look fantastic and reading this is helping me realize that I can do the c25k too, since i am SUCKING WIND at week 2. lol...
    Great job!!!

It is hard getting past the "I can't breathe" phase. The best thing I have done is to get a heart rate monitor. I got the Polar F7 on Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/MFP-POLAR-FT7

The HRM is important because once you are able to identify the rate at which you are not "sucking wind" you can try to keep yourself within that zone and keep going. In retrospect, one of the reasons I "could not run" is that I was running too fast. Now my running is very slow, but I am running and getting a little faster every time. I shaved almost 2 minutes off my 5k, so that's progress and I WILL TAKE IT!!
  • leeleecal
    Options
    I am so inspired. Just started my C25k journey today so I can relate to you watching the timer. Wish me luck and keep up the good work.
  • travel4fun
    travel4fun Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm so happy for you. I started C25k around the same time, but I'm still on week 4 due to bronchitis followed by a back injury. But I still keep plugging along! Someday I will have similar success! Thanks for the inspiration to keep at it and congrats on your terrific progress!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!