Is There An Alternative to a Deadlift?

Options
Squat maybe. I tweaked my lower back doing practice deadlifts with the bar only. I knew this would happen. Involving my spine in an exercise like that is just dumb. But, I'm using a new program that requires a Deadlift routine. As soon as I picked up the bar to practice form, my lower back hurt. I adjusted and I think did it properly, I probably should have just stopped. Anyway, are squats a good alternative until my back heals? I'm going to try again, I'm not giving up. But, I need to heel first. It might be ok by the time it's time to do them again in about a week.

Replies

• n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    You probably don't have to do one or the other for adequate core and back strength, but most on here do both squats and deadlifts.

Seated cable rows and squats would probably be adequate for average people and lower back strength if you don't like deadlifts though.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I was going to say squats are probably your best bet, or maybe a modified version of a squat or a deadlift.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Injury would be the only reason I would give up deadlifts. Rack pulls are easier on the lower back
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I rarely do deadlifts. Usually they are only a part of my program for during two phases of the year, and they they are out. Hell, I've gone years without doing a single deadlift.

That said, if it's an integral part of your program and you can't do them, you may want to consider a different program. Without know the specifics of your program it's hard to suggest a substitute that will provide the same benefits as deads that won't stomp over some other part of the program.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Ok, so Deadlift is mostly hamstrings, gluteus, and upper back?
  • neverstray
    Options
    Injury would be the only reason I would give up deadlifts. Rack pulls are easier on the lower back

Hopefully, only temporarily. I'll likely try again. I don't think my form was bad at all. I was wondering if I should try will bumbells first, just so I can use light weight and get the feel. Once I get the feel of it, switch over to the barbell. Maybe the 45lb barbell is too much; not from a weight perspective, but just getting my form right.
  • neverstray
    Options
    You probably don't have to do one or the other for adequate core and back strength, but most on here do both squats and deadlifts.

Seated cable rows and squats would probably be adequate for average people and lower back strength if you don't like deadlifts though.

I love Deadlift. I wonder if I should take some time and build up those areas a bit before attempting again?

Not sure what to do. I'll take it day by day and see how I feel in a few days.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I switched to sumo deadlifts and found them a lot more agreeable with my bad back.
  • neverstray
    Options
    I switched to sumo deadlifts and found them a lot more agreeable with my bad back.

Cool. Romanian deadlifts seem to be a bit easier on the lower back too. I'll see how I feel and try some alternative. It could just be a new movement that I need to get used to.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell swing and/or good morning
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Try front squats
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    instead of usng a bar.. grab a pair of lightweight dumbbells.. the bars themselves weight quite abit sometimes depending on the bar your using.. start off with a 2kg dumbbell and slightly bend at the knees for your deadlifts.. there are straight leg and bended.. do the bended.. use precise and slow movements till you are comfortable and dont be afriad to ask the PT at the gym for help.. goodluck
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options

kettlebell swing will stuff his back up more... thats not really a solution
  • Wolverine13ft
    Wolverine13ft Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hex bar deadlift
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

kettlebell swing will stuff his back up more... thats not really a solution

Good mornings will do even worse.
  • neverstray
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I'll hit it with Romanian DLs. That's what I was supposed to do. Ibuprofen is making the back feel ok now. I think it was just a new movement. I'll work on it.

I didn't warm up. Next time, lots of warm up, and stretching first.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Until you know the actual cause of your back pain you should avoid anything that might aggregate it. Forget taking advice from Internet forums and go get checked out
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Until you know the actual cause of your back pain you should avoid anything that might aggregate it. Forget taking advice from Internet forums and go get checked out

X2
  • neverstray
    Options

I'm not a fan of docs. Waste of time and money. Do you really run to the doctor and say, "my back hurts"? Lol. That seems ridiculous to me.

Unless you have something real, like peeing blood, I don't see the point. Western docs are *kitten*. People run to their doc for everything and I don't understand it. Maybe I just have a bad doc. I don't know. I'm looking into that trust me. But, my back is fine. Weak, but fine.

Thank you for the concern though. I do appreciate it. I just spent a lot of money on medical this year, and they find anything. What I've learned is unless the vital sign show something, they just stop looking. So, "my back hurts" is too general and they'll charge me $85 to tell me to take ibuprofen and rest and come back in about a week,,,and another $85 to report that I feel better. It's a joke. If I say, my back hurts, and my pee is red. They'll take that very seriously. If they take my blood and see something off, they'll take that seriously, but aches and pains, they just tell me to rest, or whatever. Is that not normal?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

I'm not a fan of docs. Waste of time and money. Do you really run to the doctor and say, "my back hurts"? Lol. That seems ridiculous to me.

Unless you have something real, like peeing blood, I don't see the point. Western docs are *kitten*. People run to their doc for everything and I don't understand it. Maybe I just have a bad doc. I don't know. I'm looking into that trust me. But, my back is fine. Weak, but fine.

ya...strangers telling you to swing a kettle ball are much more reliable