330 lbs and I just ran my first 5K

Options
I started this journey with my wife almost 80 days ago now weighing in at 356.8 lbs. 24 years old and staring down the barrel of numerous health problems because I was too lazy to get off my butt and do something about it. Compounding my laziness was my affinity for fast food at least once a day, every day. With the help of my new bride I decided that it was time to make a full and complete lifestyle change in order to be around for her and for our future children.

As a part of my lifestyle change I began using Couch 2 5K as a training tool with the full intention of eventually running in a 5K. "Full intention" turned into a date with destiny on December 2nd, 2012 when I completed my first 5K race. I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day to accomplish this goal. I had to walk some, but I pushed myself as much as I could and I finished it!

Thus far I'm sitting at 26 pounds lost! I weigh 330 lbs today and I truly see a bright future ahead of me and my family with the changes were making. I set my first overall goal to weigh 250 lbs and my 5K goal was an awesome shorter term goal that I am very happy I can share with you all

Below is a pic from just after the 5K...thank you to my friends and family who came out with their sign :-)

TeamAndrew.jpg

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Holy hell that is AMAZING! I haven't even run....like, a quarter mile yet.....so this is so inspirational! ROCK ON!
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome!! keep up the good work!!!!
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Both for making a healthy decision with your wife and for doing your first 5k!
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    daaaaaaaaaang! well done you!!!!!
  • TammyLynne71
    TammyLynne71 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I have my first 5K planned for May 4th.
  • fitzonegirl
    fitzonegirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Awesome Job!!!!
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    Wow! That is awesome! Good for you! That is also inspirational and means it's possible regardless of weight. Thanks for sharing and congrats!
  • jenniferrow
    Options
    So proud of you! Well done!
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    WOW...you are truly amazing! Well done.
  • SingeSange
    SingeSange Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!

That is an amazing story and thank you for posting it on here!!

You're an inspiration to many people.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Very inspirational , great job
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    You are AMAZING! Congratulations on both your first 5k and on your overall lifestyle change! Sounds like you're on a great track :)
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Congrats, Well done. You will get there
  • fatt_boyy_slimm
    Options
    You are the M*******F***** Man!! :drinker: :smokin:
  • hollykaplan
    Options
    Awesome job!
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    That's incredible!! I look forward to the day when I can say that I've achieved this as well!! Congrats :)
  • pohlcm08
    Options
    Amazing and congrats to you!! What a great inspiration for everyone, thank you for sharing your story with us! Having a strong support group helps so much, good for you and your family as well!
  • grinner30
    grinner30 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Well done!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Well done. Now aim for 10km.

My 1st every run is in 2 days.... scared as hell. I know I can do the distance easy (10km) cause I basically do that daily... but I am not a group person at all. I've got a strange feeling that I will be keeping up with the leaders just cause I don't want to look bad.
  • slavenberg
    slavenberg Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Keep running!! It is my favorite thing to do. At 24, you've got a lot of life left to live. Leave that other person behind you and keep looking forward. Congratulations on your first accomplishment on your road to success!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!