Hungry on rest days

Options
I have found that I am WAY hungrier on the days I DON'T work out. Does anyone else get this? It is really easy for me to stay way under my calorie goal on exercise days, but ridiculously difficult to stay under on rest days. Should I just get rid of the rest day???

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I am too. Don't get rid of the rest day, rest is extremely important- instead, balance your calories over the week instead of daily. Go over on rest days, under on exercise days, and try to make it average out to your goal over a week's time. Your body repairs tissue during rest, which uses calories. Your metabolism doesn't have a 24-hr clock to reset, it goes continuously, so you can do the same with your calories. Use them like rollover minutes.

Edit- just don't hold your rollover calories too long, they do expire!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    As above - roll over some calories onto your rest day. Mine was yesterday and I carried over 300 cals from a long cycle I completed on Saturday.

Don't give up the rest day - they are as important as the exercise and should not be missed.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Just eat ! You can work it all off the next day.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I am too. Don't get rid of the rest day, rest is extremely important- instead, balance your calories over the week instead of daily. Go over on rest days, under on exercise days, and try to make it average out to your goal over a week's time. Your body repairs tissue during rest, which uses calories. Your metabolism doesn't have a 24-hr clock to reset, it goes continuously, so you can do the same with your calories. Use them like rollover minutes.

Edit- just don't hold your rollover calories too long, they do expire!

This!!! I have had great success with this model. I too find that I am very hungry on rest days, so I try to eat an average of 1500-1600 cals a day. As I am burning between 600-800 6 days of the week, it all averages out pretty well.
  • cindl24
    cindl24 Posts: 178
    Options
    Considering the fact that you have lost 61 pounds, I wouldn't worry too much. You are obviously doing something right!

However, if you are crazy hungry on your rest day, try to find some low-cal alternatives. Do you like veggies? An entire red pepper is less than 50 calories and is a great snack. (It's tasty and gives you a bunch of really good vitamins.)

Congrats on your success so far!