Labels! Do you read them?

Options
13»

Replies

• elevatorguy925
    Options
    Always, calories, sodium, sugar, cholesterol. I avoid anything with high fructose corn syrup and overprocessed junk
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options

What does being thin have to do with it? People are ridculous and should mind their own damn business.

When people look at me, they think I am reading the labels because I am looking at the calories and don't want to eat much. When I say, I don't care about the calories but the ingredient list sometimes I get the "It might not be good for you but is delicious" It never happens at places like whole foods or other natural grocers.

I'm not skinny, but I still get the "It might not be good for you, but it sure tastes good!" Why do people act like you can only expect healthy OR tasty. There is a huge difference between places with more healthy food and places without. At least Whole Foods and the lot are going for both healthy and tasty.
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I read the labels as often as I remember.

I look for:
    -calories (especially from fat)
    -fat
    -protein
    -sugar
    -sodium

Those are probably the ones I'd look at on any given day, I'll check the ingredients if it's something I've not eaten before.
  • JenMcCrory
    JenMcCrory Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yes I read all labels because my daughter is allergic to dairy. However I mostly buy the same stuff each week so don't really have to do it so much now.
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Reading labels is a MUST!

I check all the normal stuff paying particular attention to sugar, sodium and protein and allergen listing. I find so many people stopped in the aisles these days reading packages - I LOVE THIS!

I wish the FDA would stand behind listing ALL SPICES individually instead of just SPICES

oh and another pet peeve of mine is ALL NATURAL INGREDIENTS - ha what does this mean ? They can't list them?
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Yep. I look for serving size and calories per serving.

That's it.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I do, but mainly I am looking for calories. I also glance at the sugar, sodium, and protein content (I am for higher protein and I want to make sure the sugar and sodium isn't too crazy on something). I try to stick to fresher food though (basics like meat + veggies + carb/starch) and less pre-packaged. With the exception of certain things like my favorite flavored coffee creamer (I refuse to give up my Cinnabon coffee creamer! lol!)
  • GenErichT
    Options
    Always! I look to see what goes into what I'm about to consume to ensure:

1. The ingredients are not written out as chemical compounds
    2. I can pronounce everything on the list
    3. I know what everything on the list is
    4. The food is as natural as possible
    5. How much a serving is. I'm sure the guy (or girl) who created the 1/2 cup serving size on ice cream meant it as a joke, but...
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure everyone in here reads labels or we wouldn't know what we're eating.

this.

Calories and fat content....

Plus I've had really bad physical reactions to aspartame, so I have to make sure I'm not actually consuming any by mistake in any so called "healthy" foods.

Plus I am sort of looking for things that contain real sugar again instead of corn syrup.
    It's impossible to avoid corn syrup as its in everything, but lately I am seeing more products go back to sugar now and if i have a choice I'll buy that instead.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Yes I read all labels because my daughter is allergic to dairy. However I mostly buy the same stuff each week so don't really have to do it so much now.

Just a thought as manufacturers change their ingredients & manufacturing processes on a regular basis: even if it's food you are accustomed to getting, ALWAYS read labels. There were foods I could eat on occasion if I wanted a "treat" and thanx to reading every label of everything I buy, I discovered that the manufacturer suddenly listed "made in a facility that also processes..." and listed a bunch of allergens, or my favorite label "does not contain gluten ingredients" as opposed to "gluten free" or "manufactured in a gluten free facility": if it doesn't contain the ingredients why not list as "gluten free"? Because it is no longer GF!

I actually read the labels on packaged lettuce to ensure no surprises (as I've seen those before, too) and frozen veggies (if I need emergency food) as Walmart frozen veggies will have 2 labels: one says "___ is a gluten free food" and then the label "made in a facility that also process ____ "! For those with allergies or even intolerances, reading labels every time is a MUST in our family!
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Always! I look at fiber too. I lost 55lbs just by eating a ton of fiber. Now I'm doing "clean eating" to lose the last 10...
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Just gotta say to sun33082.... WOW, what an inspiration you are!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Always! I look at fiber too. I lost 55lbs just by eating a ton of fiber. Now I'm doing "clean eating" to lose the last 10...

You didn't count calories?
  • TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I look at both the nutritional label and the ingredients. Personally, I look at the ingredients first to make sure the product is made out of the stuff I think it is. If there is anything I know is bad, I usually put it back. If I don't know what something is, I also put it back or google it on my phone real quick. I find with most products, I can find at least once that fits my expectations.

I then check the nutritional label. Not going to lie, I do check the calories first, but that's usually because I want to know how it will fit into my diet. I also check protein, fiber, fats and sugar. Sometimes, I accept a bad number for a good one. If the product has a bit more sugar than I prefer, but a lot of fiber, I might still buy it.

it's a balancing act., but I'm getting faster.
  • soleilxo
    soleilxo Posts: 202
    Options
    At least for me, labels are fun to read and i love it when Im with someone and they ask me about it cause than you pass on the knowledge of what goes into your system which so little people know of
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Very few things that we buy have a label. The things we do buy that have a label we know what ingredients are in them, so I no longer have to be a label reader.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    At least for me, labels are fun to read and i love it when Im with someone and they ask me about it cause than you pass on the knowledge of what goes into your system which so little people know of
    You are right about being able to pass along knowledge, but most people don't seem to care what the labels say...........otherwise companies such as Kraft, Kelloggs, General Mills and the like would be such huge conglomerate companies.