how much coffee is too much?

Options
Crayvn
Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
So over this past year have I started drinking coffee.. I drink about 16 oz a day with my lo cal/fat tasty sweetners etc. I understand its a diuretic, appetite surpressant etc.

There has been much debate over the research that has been presented about *how much* is good/bad for us.

Any opinions backed up with research is appreciated :)

Replies

• redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    sorry, I don't have anything. I never, ever thought there would be such a thing as too much coffee, ever.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    DRINK ALL THE COFFEEZ!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I figure when it starts running out my eyeballs, I've had too much. Haven't had it happen yet.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    There is a study that showed that the more coffee you drink the risk of type 2 diabetes decreased.
    It was a dutch study, large n. (sorry too lazy to look it up)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I had a good long talk with the doctor about this. Like everything else, there are good reason for drinking it, and good reasons for not drinking it.

It's a diuretic, so it can cause hydration problems. Caffeine causes problems for some people by elevation their pulse and blood pressure. For males coffee can cause prostrate issues. One study found the it reduces the chance of getting colon cancer. Another showed a decrease in diabetes.

The conclusion, 3/8 oz. cups a day. 2 caffeinated, and one decaf.
  • davidpetersonharvey
    Options
    There was a news item recently on television about coffee's health benefits. They claim that drinking four cups a day helps lower your chances of getting certain types of cancer. The most notable to me was prostate cancer because my father had prostate cancer, which puts me at higher risk.

I recently went to the hospital with chest pain. Everyone said that my heart was fine. They thought it was GERD. However, they found a 90% blockage (called a widowmaker) and literally saved my life. I would have had a massive heart attack and died otherwise. I now have four stents in my heart, opening that blockage and three 80% blockages.

While in the hospital, they kept offering me coffee. I told them I was trying to stay away from caffeine. They told me a cup a day wasn't bad for me; it actually dilated the arteries and allowed blood to flow more freely. I had been drinking two or four mugs a day but was worried about it raising my blood pressure. Instead, it probably bought me more time for the doctors to find the problem.

Caffeine addiction is something you don't want, though, plus the fact that drinking that much coffee constantly can cause acid problems in your stomach. I would say, try not to do it every day. Give yourself breaks for two or three days now and then and make sure to stop if you have stomach problems.

I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Just relating my own opinion based on what I've experienced. Check with your doctor if you are concerned about it.

I love coffee!
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I had a good long talk with the doctor about this. Like everything else, there are good reason for drinking it, and good reasons for not drinking it.

It's a diuretic, so it can cause hydration problems. Caffeine causes problems for some people by elevation their pulse and blood pressure. For males coffee can cause prostrate issues. One study found the it reduces the chance of getting colon cancer.

The conclusion, 3/8 oz. cups a day. 2 caffeinated, and one decaf.

Recent studies done by Mayo clinic show that the diuretic effect is minimal especially if you are used to it. Many days my fluid intake is 50 % or more of my fluid intake and no dehydration issues.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    If it starts interfering with your sleep then it's too much
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    16 OZ A day is nothing. Especially if you're drinking the recommended amount of water per day. A medium coffee at Dunks is 16 OZ. That's just two servings of coffee which is probably what the typical coffee drinker has. I drink probably twice that but have been trying to cut back due to it interfering with my sleep. I've also adopted a new rule where I drink a glass of water for every 8 OZ of coffee. Works well for me. I'm on a stimulant medication anyway so I don't think coffee is going to do much more damage haha

I feel a hell of a lot worse if I don't drink coffee irritable, headache, lethargic... miserable. I'm in perfect health more or less according to my doctor, so it can't be that bad.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    DRINK ALL THE COFFEEZ!

I drank all the coffeez!
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    ty all for the input...much appreciated... I dont know actually how many oz are in my mug..I will measure it and stick with that in the morning...a friend suggested switching to tea if i need something in the afternoon.. I dont drink coffee at home, my hubby doesnt drink it..so its just while i am at work and i maaaayyy grab one at dunkin donuts or starbucks once on the weekend.

thanks again everyone :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i don't see colors until i have a cup of coffee.
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    There's such a thing as too much??? Oh, sorry. You wanted research.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I get cranky when there's too much blood in my caffeine system.
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Well Dr. Oz said.................

ahhh *kitten* it going for a coffee
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    there is no such thing.
  • ashumeow
    ashumeow Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    So over this past year have I started drinking coffee.. I drink about 16 oz a day with my lo cal/fat tasty sweetners etc. I understand its a diuretic, appetite surpressant etc.

There has been much debate over the research that has been presented about *how much* is good/bad for us.

Any opinions backed up with research is appreciated :)

18 oz is the coffee limit per day. =)
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    250px-Coffee.gif

This^^^^^^^^^^ NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    ty all for the input...much appreciated... I dont know actually how many oz are in my mug..I will measure it and stick with that in the morning...a friend suggested switching to tea if i need something in the afternoon.. I dont drink coffee at home, my hubby doesnt drink it..so its just while i am at work and i maaaayyy grab one at dunkin donuts or starbucks once on the weekend.

thanks again everyone :)
    There is no reason to "meaure your mug and stick with that in the morning"....It's fine.
  • NYChick84
    NYChick84 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    So, you're saying that drinking a whole pot of coffee before I leave for work in the morning, and continuously drink coffee all day......then that's entirely too much? For shame! And, I drink it black. :p