Another HRM question

Options
I am getting ready to buy a HRM and have been trying to research all the different ones. I have read many posts on MFP about them and seems like most of you have the Polar brand. This is what I have decided to go with as well but my question is which model? I have looked at the F6F and the FT40m. Anyone have these? Pros & cons? I need something fairly basic to read calories burned but I don't really want to have to send it off to have the battery changed. But if the battery lasts a couple of years then it wouldn't be that big of trouble to send it off. Any input is appreciated! Thanks

Replies

• firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Get on the polar website and look for one that measures your VO2 max and/or resting heart rate. It will be most accurate.
  • artsyuno
    artsyuno Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You may be able to find a place that can change the battery locally. I was able to do that a couple of years ago. You may want to check with Polar before buying if that's an important issue for you. I don't remember which model mine is, but I found that I didn't really use many of the functions, partly because I find it to be kind of a hassle. Actually, I rarely wear the watch at all. Mostly, I just use the monitor band that goes with the watch while I'm on the elliptical trainer. It gives me a heart rate reading on the equipment screen.
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've had my polar F6 for 2 years now and I haven't changed the battery yet. I'm guessing my luck will run out soon.
  • I got the F6 dec 08 and haven't had to change the battery either. I love the thing! It is very simple to use and I really like knowing just how many calories I actually burn.
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Have had the F6 for a little over a yr....love it!
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I just recently purchased the polar ft7. I really like it! I think the main difference between the F6 and Ft7 is that the chest strap is made out of all material- no plastic against your skin. Even if you buy the F6, I know you can purchase newer strap for comfort. I have had good success with it thus far.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    also- with the ft7, you can change the battery on the watch and the transmitter yourself.
  • B4its2L8
    B4its2L8 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I think that is the one I am going to go with!