Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Really really frustrated...

Replies

• cfregon
    cfregon Posts: 147
    I agree with many of the above comments- Your food choices are very poor. High sodium, low nutrients- mostly empty calories. Even the peanut butter, which has good potential- you get the reduced fat stuff which is full of fillers and sugars. Why not go for fresh/organic PB? Replace all of that easy mac, processed/premade chicken with some REAL food. It take just as long to make a huge salad and put it in a tupperware to take with you as it takes to add water to and microwave the easy mac. Packaged organic salad- dump into large container, add cut up tomato, onion, pepper, carrots, etc...maybe some feta and almond slivers- you have a huge serving of healthy goodness that isn't all that hard.

I'd recommend investing in the following:
    Lean protein sources- nuts (no prep required!) fresh fish filets (easy and fast to cook or chicken breast (also, super easy and relatively fast)

Go to your freezer section and pick up some frozen veggies. Even the lightly sauces varieties that microwave are a big improvement when you haven't been eating any...but again, watch the sodium.

If you're looking for convenience and vitamins, how about some fruit? If you can't do fresh, there are canned varieties that are pretty good (use WIC labels as a general guide in the store here).

You'll see a huge difference if you just make a few changes and fuel your body. It's your choice whether you eat more or less, but listen to your body- does it feel better? Is it hungry? Tired? Stronger? Weaker? Ditto on the need to visit a nutritionist, STAT.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Take a deep breath.

You will not lose 20 pounds in the next 29 days. Ok?

Be realistic. You could lose 20 pounds by end of March 2013.

Drink lots of water. Get 7-8 hours of sleep out of every 24, and reduce the amount of junk you eat. Exercise.

You will see results, but be patient.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    I really don't think anyone is trying to pick on you. Remember, these forums are a way for us all to help one another. Sometimes you don't like what you hear, but that doesn't make it mean or wrong. Everyone here really wants to help you. We're all on here because we have some sort of goal and we all know how hard it is to reach those goals. The forums are a way to work together toward our goals. You'll get where you want to be, but it may take more time than you are hoping. Good luck!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,640 Member
    You aren't going to lose 20 pounds in 1 month
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Okay now I just feel like total **** and like everyone is just beating me up....thanks guys....

Honey, people are trying to help you help yourself... And stop you from hurting yourself by having unrealistic goals/ habits. Embrace the help.
  • If you are eating 1200 and burning 1000 that means you are netting only 200! Your body is being starved which is why you won't lose. Find out what your TDEE is and eat 15% below that and you should lose. It might take a little while because of what you've been doing for it to drop.

What is TDEE?
  • SKJ98
    SKJ98 Posts: 25
    Weight can go up and down just naturally so dont get discouraged. Your body may be getting used to the change in diet so your not losing as much weight yet. Dont get down on yourself though. As long as you work hard youll get to your goal :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    What are you doing wrong?
    You don't haver a plan. Use mfp or some other website to get a starting point then log everything and stick to it.

He's right. It really does work.

And sticking to that is a major success.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,722 Member
    If you are eating 1200 and burning 1000 that means you are netting only 200! Your body is being starved which is why you won't lose. Find out what your TDEE is and eat 15% below that and you should lose. It might take a little while because of what you've been doing for it to drop.

What is TDEE?

The total amount of energy you use in a day on average. It helps you figure out how many calories you should eat by knowing how many you use.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    I recommend not logging your work as exercise. It's too much guessing. Set your MFP lifestyle factor to having an active day job (i.e. "Very Active" option) and then only log actual workouts. Set your MFP goal to lose 2 lbs/week and eat what it tells you to eat. You may lose up to 10 lbs in the next month that way.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/01/how-to-deal-with-water-retention-part.html

Read that. It's called dieter's edema. What usually happens is that even if you were to start eating at maintenance or above, you would still see weight loss. For a few days.
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/01/how-to-deal-with-water-retention-part.html

Read that. It's called dieter's edema. What usually happens is that even if you were to start eating at maintenance or above, you would still see weight loss. For a few days.

This actually gave me some stuff to think about! I have serious water retention issues... good to know info! Thanks!
  • Okay now I just feel like total **** and like everyone is just beating me up....thanks guys....

Don't feel that way. It is hard to come on these forums sometimes and post something you need help on and get so many people making comments. I'm sure a lot of it you didn't want to hear. But maybe you needed to. (just in a nicer way)
    I don't see you losing that large amount of weight in such a little bit of time.... it just isn't healthy. I do have some advice for you though....
    Up your water intake. Cut out any and all pop and juice. ((even those vitamin waters have sodium in them)) So be cautious to what you are drinking. I suggest at least 8 glasses a day.
    How about upping your protein and cutting back on the junk food. :) Like cut your chips/cookies back to a bare minimum if you have to have them. ((I always say moderation if you can't cut something cold turkey, at least cut it back))
    And the one thing I have found to be good for you and high in protein (which I go over in every day now) is Tuna and chicken. I've even added a protein shake with my breakfast every day and love all the protein it gives me.

Just a few suggestions. I'm most certainly not beating you up.... I think you truly don't have any idea what is realistic as far as weight loss goes (how fast you can get it off of ya) and you were just asking. I did get a chance to see your diary before you closed it out again... and it wasn't all that great. It was basically the food choices you were making... because I've done the whole zig zag thing and I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing. ((where your calories one day is a little lower than the previous day and so forth)) Just make sure you are staying hydrated and you are eating more veggies and protein.

I really do wish you luck on your journey.
  • I put my diary back to private because I felt like people were being super rude. I want to clarify that the past week has had so much junk logged because its all I've been able to get my hands on at home or at work. I do not have time to cook anything; if its not microwaveable or ready as bought, I can't worry about it. The most I'm able to do is make a PB&J sandwich to stick in my lunch box.... :/

If anyone can suggest frozen dinners n such that aren't completely horrible for me that would be very helpful....And I know everyone is right. Wanting to lose these 20 lbs in a month is super unrealistic and unsafe but I was just trying to get across my point of where my head is at....

And no, its not for a stupid party or some shallow as hell thing like that. I don't want to share why I'm so stressed over this goal because its complicated and my choice not to share because its my own personal business. Seriously.

Now, as for water - I drink 8+ 8oz glasses a day. My medication dehydrates me super fast so I'm constantly drinking water. I do not touch soda or juices anymore. I still drink milk sometimes - usually only skim though. Sometimes I have chocolate milk as well but that's about it. I drink stupid Special K protein shakes simply because its fast and does usually keep me from feeling constantly hungry and just eating a ton. (Probably gonna switch over to Slimfast shakes though; the chocolate tastes better than Special K's.)

Seriously, suggest some food for me guys...I'm hoping to go grocery shopping with my mom tomorrow so I don't only have crap in the house because its all my mom and brother eat. :/

Also; I don't have time to work out at home lately either. Or rather, if I don't bust my *kitten* extra hard at work, I don't get a work-out at all. That is why I log stuff. But again; I only log about 1 hour's worth of time for every 4 hours I consistently sweat and lift at work. And when I say sweat and lift I mean 15 lbs minimum over and over; but lately its been like 25+ lb boxes and pallets. I also try to run around there as much as possible. I can honestly say I make all the other GUYS I work around look like crap with how fast and efficient I get things done. xD lol

On weekends, the only time I don't work I spend my time recovering from work. Sleeping, long warm baths; catching up on cleaning around my house. And usually I spend every Sunday with the boyfriend because its the only time each week I get to see him IF I'm lucky...

Oh; and I don't have the money to go to the doctors or see a nutritionist/dietician here...
  • fatfrost
    fatfrost Posts: 365 Member
    Are you like a boxer or a wrestler trying to make weight?

20 lbs in a month probably isn't realistic absent surgical intervention or a bad case of the flu.
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Let me just start off by saying, if you want to get your diet in check you're going to have to suck it up and cook some things yourself. Cooking doesn't have to take a long time, and if you cook in bulk, then you have enough food to last you the whole week. Hell, throw a chicken in the oven, walk away for an hour, and take it out.

As for pre-packaged meals, always turn the box over and have a look at their nutritional value. Sodium content is a huge problem in microwavable meals, so always look there first. I've found that Lean Cuisine usually out preforms Marie Callender's in this regard. The same goes for deli meats. They are notoriously high is salt, so try to buy the kind with the lowest amount possible.

That being said, I would try to get away from eating microwave meals completely. There may be a lot of low calorie options, and they may be convenient, but eating them as a main staple in your diet is detrimental to your overall health. Again, use a little of your weekend time to cook for yourself throughout the week. For instance, I make a breakfast frittata that lasts me all week. Then, I might bake enough turkey for sandwiches for several lunches.

If you like spending Sundays with your boyfriend, why not include him in the cooking process? Have a nice meal together, and then save the rest for your work week. Try looking online for simple, low calorie recipe ideas, get familiar with your macro nutrient goals, etc. In the end, it all comes down to how much effort you are willing to put into your diet. You have to be willing to make the changes necessary to get the results you want.
  • fatfrost
    fatfrost Posts: 365 Member
    One other thing. You should not track cal burn from work. Your ambient activity level is included in the calculation of the calories that you should be consuming/deficit to hit your goal. If you stated that you are active at work and you also count calories from that work activity, you are actually double counting burn, which results in either a lower deficit or maybe not a deficit at all (can't tell, your diary is private). Anyways--good luck.
  • I know how you feel, but our bodies lose when it wants to seems like sometimes. I take anti-depressant and other meds that make weight loss very slow. But all in good time it will happen. You are not a failure at all, you are getting smaller and sometimes the scale will go up and down for a while, and then like magic one day you will have a 2lb + loss!! Be sure to eat as clean as you can if you need some help just drop me a line and I will try to help you. But I agree if you are not eating enough food your body is not going to lose, because it thinks it is not going to get enough to keep you going. You may have to increase a little at a time till you find the right amount of calories to eat where you lose. Just remember you must eat to lose. And watch your salt intake and boxed foods, as this will sure stall off any weight loss for sure!! You are on a lifestyle change for the rest of your life not crash dieting, your body will pay the price on down the line without proper nutrition.
    Have an awesome day!!
    Cheri
  • mjhedgehog
    mjhedgehog Posts: 249 Member
    I totally know what you mean about not having time to cook and grabbing whats easy to take to work on the go. I think someone above suggested cooking stuff in bulk and taking leftovers? I like to just cook some chicken with some garlic and other vegetables together and take that to work all week or homemade stir fry or chilli (I love chilli leftovers for work!) :love: . It doesn't have to be super complicated recipes, just something simple and easy. I work 2 jobs and go to school so I know its hard to find time.
  • Alright, I just changed my goals n such to account for the very active lifestyle I currently have with how my work goes. I'm still going to need to count at least an hour a day of work there as my daily workout, only after 4+ hours of actually working though... I just don't have time otherwise and I really do push myself at work for a good while...

If I had the time to actually work out at home with my treadmill I would but I just don't with the way things are going with the work hours this holiday season. Now I guess I have to worry about cooking food....