I hate exercise...

Options

Replies

• clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Try the eliptical. Its kinda like running but easier on the joints :)
  • sand1941
    sand1941 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You could try swimming? I loathe running and walking and lifting, but swimming feels amazing, right now I'm not allowed to because of some issues with my ears, but as soon as I get the go ahead from my doctor I'm going back to it. In the meantime I've been doing weights and walking, but with out someone with me it's very boring.

Get some good motivating music for walking, that helps.

And like some else said, dog walking is always good for building up motivation, you could even make it into a bit of a business, there are a lot of older people who don't want to go out to walk their dogs who would be happy to pay you a bit to walk their dog if you're like me and don't want to own your own.
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I don't like exercise, but I know some is necessary. I go to Walmart a d start at the far end of the store and I walk up and down aisles. I clean house and log the calories burned. Just log the burn for whatever you do. Why do you have to enjoy it? If you don't, then you don't enjoy it.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Fake it 'till you make it.

Pick something, set goals, and work towards them. As you get in better shape, you'll find the things you like. Very few sedentary people immediately like whatever exercise you try. Everyone likes accomplishing goals they've set for themselves, though.
  • obwize
    obwize Posts: 102
    Options
    Also, from what you said it sounds like you have a lot of fear about your ankle getting hurt again even though it is healed. While not knowing anything but what you said here about it, I would suggest talking to a professional about that. Getting over emotional blocks about running might do more to enjoy any form of exercise than trying twenty new things. Either way, good luck!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I used to hate exercise. Partly it was painful because I have multiple medical issues, but mostly I just didn't like it. Then we moved near the beach and I discovered beach combing-- I can easily walk the beach for 3 hours without getting bored. Once I'd been walking awhile I started pilates and I wouldn't say I love it, but I love that it makes my joint pain better and gives me energy. You just need to find the right activity.

What is it about exercise that you hate? Pain? Boredom? If you can pinpoint the reason you might be able to find a way around it.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Just got to keep trying stuff. Sometimes it takes forcing yourself to do it often and eventually you might love it. I don't do much cardio anymore because i hate it but I do weights almost every day because I love that. I used to hate weights but it was the lesser of the two evils....Once I started going consistently long enough, I started to love it. Now I hate having to take rest days from it.
  • jjpavio
    jjpavio Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    How about BELLY DANCING!I have rheumatoid arthritis, so I really have to stick to low impact exercise. I really struggled to find something that I enjoyed and that literally didn't hurt. Then one day it came to me - I have a belly, therefore, I can dance!

I've been going to class for 6 yrs now . I have no idea if I'm any good at it or not - I refuse to look in the mirrors of the studio during class. But I do know that I love it and I am truly overjoyed that a body that I once thought would be crippled can do 8 different kinds of hip shimmies. I may not be any good at it, but it is good for me.

- it isn't at all like our Hollywood notion of sleazy women shakin' their money makers. It's more like pilates set to music. And I go to class in yoga pants and a tee-shirt, as does everyone else, so there's no expensive equipment or gear required.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

Pick something, set goals, and work towards them. As you get in better shape, you'll find the things you like. Very few sedentary people immediately like whatever exercise you try. Everyone likes accomplishing goals they've set for themselves, though.

This, plus man up.

Also, instead of trying exercise classes, try activities. Kick boxing, surfing, climbing, rowing, capoeira, gymnastics, dance, fencing, taekwondo, tennis, basketball, hockey, rugby, judo, football, cheerleading, canoeing.... you get the idea. Find a club you're interested in.
  • Muscles_Curves
    Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    You may want to look on Pinterest. I found this idea there.

11162063_3419.jpg
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

This, plus man up.

Also, instead of trying exercise classes, try activities. Kick boxing, surfing, climbing, rowing, capoeira, gymnastics, dance, fencing, taekwondo, tennis, basketball, hockey, rugby, judo, football, cheerleading, canoeing.... you get the idea. Find a club you're interested in.

I can't agree with this strongly enough! It's easy to make excuses..... just get out there and try something. Try many things until something sticks.....

I've personally smashed up my shoulder in the ring, out running, falling over drunk.... I almost dislocated the damn thing shopping in B&Q once.... I regularly lift things, swing kettlebells & hit the heavy bag - I'm just sensible working with my shoulder and put in any extra rehab work for it that it may need. Doesn't mean I don't exercise, or find excuses not to do it.

Sorry if that comes off as harsh but in a Summer that's seen the most successful paraolympics in history.... sometimes you've gotta stop making excuses and start doing......
  • wigglypeaches
    wigglypeaches Posts: 146 Member
    Options

This, plus man up.

I can't agree with this strongly enough! It's easy to make excuses..... just get out there and try something. Try many things until something sticks.....

I've personally smashed up my shoulder in the ring, out running, falling over drunk.... I almost dislocated the damn thing shopping in B&Q once.... I regularly lift things, swing kettlebells & hit the heavy bag - I'm just sensible working with my shoulder and put in any extra rehab work for it that it may need. Doesn't mean I don't exercise, or find excuses not to do it.

Sorry if that comes off as harsh but in a Summer that's seen the most successful paraolympics in history.... sometimes you've gotta stop making excuses and start doing......

The only things I would add to all of this are a few more options: I found Krav Maga and it's changed my life. If you're worried about rotating your ankle, rock climbing could be a great option to build strength, definition and stamina. The point is to find something that adds to your life, because you'll start to find yourself going out of your way to do it. When you find something you really love, you'll do anything to make doing it possible.
  • tingle2
    tingle2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hooping!! You will love it - some hoop with me,, you can do it with friends, the kids, alone, inside, outside and to music!!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I also should state that getting over an injury is ok, working through one is harder. I have a back injury that stops me from working, and will do so for the rest of my life. I run, because that's the ONLY thing that does not hurt my back. I can't walk at all cause that will hurt me for days.
    Unless you are dying, unable to move anything apart from your head ...then there is no reason to NOT exercise at all.
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Another big vote for 'try ALL THE THINGS' here. I thought it would be cool to try every single Olympic sport, for example. I mean, I can run very slowly, and swim very badly, and I play badminton, and ride a bike, and I do archery. And I've been horse riding... But that still leaves loads.

I was also inspired by the Paralympics, which were just down the road from me. When we went to watch the athletics, we saw the finals of the 200m for people who have dystonia-related disabilities which mean that they can't walk in a co-ordinated fashion. And these athletes could run 200m in about half a minute. Which is about *four times* as fast as I can run 200m.

And there's all the things which feel like fun and not really exercising, like dance, and all those Wii games, and walking through big piles of leaves, and building a snowman with your kids, and stuff like that.

So, it's worth talking to your doctor about what you have to do to build up strength in your ankle, and what you have to avoid. And then make a long list and try everything. If you like it, do it again. Keep notes. If you get to the end of all the activities without finding anything you like, write a book.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to do things you don't enjoy because it's important for your health.

Personally, I despise lifting, but I do it 2-3 times a week to maintain my lean body mass, keep my bones strong, and look better.

So, suck it up and do what you need to do. :smile:

You are right! I certainly do need to suck it up and do it! I am going to read every reply on here today. Thanks for all of the feedback :)

And, btw, I DID get to the gym for the first time in three months this morning. I only did 35 mins but it is a start. After getting a stress fracture from pushing myself too far with outdoor walking (5-6 miles at a time), I am starting slow. But I am aiming for 30 mins at least 4-5 days a week. Maybe some positive feelings will start creeping back.

I used to enjoy working out before my running accident. I guess a big part of not liking it is the pain. I have dislocated a shoulder and got a grade 2 atfl sprain(both required surgery) from running...and a stress fracture from walking. I am a complete klutz. I fall every time I do step so that is out. Spinning was safe so I may give that another go. We do have water aerobics at my gym so I may check into that. Weights..,I guess I need a starter routine. Where do you find a good one?
  • G0julieG0
    Options
    What about something low impact like an elliptical or an arc trainer. When I first started out I used these, because I get on them and plug my headphones into the machine and watch TV or streamed Netflix on my phone. It was a huge method of distraction, but it got me to stick with it and not mind exercise as much. Also, you can get a decent calorie burn if you up the resistance on these machines. Also, try swimming. It's a solo exercise, and I found it to be incredibly relaxing and easy to do.

I totally agree! I would go on the elipitcal and watch one of my fav shows which last about a half hour to an hour. At the same time be working out be occupied elsewhere!
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Also, from what you said it sounds like you have a lot of fear about your ankle getting hurt again even though it is healed. While not knowing anything but what you said here about it, I would suggest talking to a professional about that. Getting over emotional blocks about running might do more to enjoy any form of exercise than trying twenty new things. Either way, good luck!
    You are definitely right! Not so much about my ankle but my shoulder! When I went down, I dislocated my shoulder and tore my labrum in 2 places. My surgery was almost 4 hours long. They had to tighten ligaments and anchor to bone and then repair the tears. I couldn't put a bra on or do my hair for 2 months without help. It sucked so bad :( I never want to go thru that again!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I might not always like to exercise, but I like what it does for my body and my brain.
  • gregarybrown72
    gregarybrown72 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yep! try several competitive sports. Basketball, volleyball, tennis etc. Don't worry if your not good initially because the competition will push you to get better and force your to workout (weight room/track). Good luck and have fun!