School Lunch Gluten free ideas?

Options
thisisjl
thisisjl Posts: 1,074 Member
Ok my daughter has been suffering stomach aches for more than a year now we've done testing and Dr.'s can't seem to find a reason why. Even though the test for gluten came back normal I've been told there is a high rate of false negatives so I am thinking of trying a gluten free diet for her for the next few days/week to see if her pains go away. Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of stuff to send with her for lunch? I'm on a limited budget so buying a lot of stuff from the "specialty section" at the grocery store really isn't realistic for me for this trial period.

Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    if you cannot get GF bread or wraps, how about lettuce wraps? a thermos of soup? a container of salad, with meat and cheese?
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Use much the same ingredients as you have been putting into sandwiches - meat, fish, eggs, cheese, salad vegetables - but instead make it into a salad with any canned beans, lentils or steamed wholegrain rice all of which are naturally gluten free. It's wheat, barley, rye and perhaps oats you need to avoid and any sauces or condiments that contain these. I highly recommend Marigold reduced salt vegetable bouillon powder, it's my go to stock and I even use it in place of salt for seasoning. It's not overly expensive here in the UK.
  • thisisjl
    Options
    I suppose I can try the GF bread I just don't want to go buy 10 different GF items for a couple days if gluten isn't the problem. Any suggestions on a good bread to try? My daughter doesn't like white bread prefers wheat bread :-/

Anything that needs to be heated won't work like rice, beans, or what not because she won't eat it cold. She is such a crazy picky eatter to begin with this is going to be insanely hard but I have to try it at least.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Your daughter heats up salads??? Many gluten free carbohydrate products are heavily processed and low in nutrients - breads tend to be based on things like white potato which make them long life but devoid of nutrients. Honestly if she has to cut out gluten she will need to stop being fussy in order to get the full array of nutrients she needs for health. If that is impossible the best thing you could do is either push for the biopsy or see a registered dietician.
  • thisisjl
    Options
    Any bean dishes I've ever had have been cooked you'll have to excuse me if you were refering to a cold something with beans but steamed rice wouldn't work. As far as her being picky I've already told her that at the end of this trial during which she may ONLY eat thing I chose if her tummy isn't hurting her then it becomes a decision she must make eat what I provide (GF) or have a tummy ache. You have to remember she is 11 you can't just tell a kid to stop being fussy.