I want to get strong!

Options
2»

Replies

• ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Interested in weight training myself, but there seems to be no way to avoid the weight gain that comes with it.
    I was told by a trainer it would cause weight gain, and according to the stronglifts site, people gain 25Ibs in a year sometimes from doing the 5x5 programme, so I am undecided. I did manage to pick up a 30kg barbell and lift that over my head for 3 sets of 7 reps on my first attempt, but sort of put off continuing it, by the possible weight gain.
    No no no!! Weight gain is caused by eating more calories than you burn. lifting will not magically put weight on your body if you don't eat to fuel it. Sure, some people put on 25 pounds while training, but it is because they are deliberately eating thousands of extra calories in order to gain (especially men who are starting out on the skinny side and want to get bigger and stronger, and are okay with gaining a little fat along with the muscle). If you lift and eat your normal amount, you will get stronger and smaller. After I started lifting I lost inches everywhere. It's like the fountain of youth.
  • simonkurth
    simonkurth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I think you'd like P90X. I know it's got a reputation for the extreme factor, but its an excellent program for those who are new to lifting dumbell weights or using resistance bands. My wife does P90X with me and uses weights. She doesn't try to lift anything too heavy, but she's doing great. The program also emphasizes lifting your own body weight through push-ups and pull ups (which I still struggle with :) )
    Heck, it's working for me, I've dropped from 314 when I started in July, to 269 currently (40 + pounds). I'm hooked, my wife has also benefited immensely for the regularity and intensity of the program.

Good luck. Feel free to add me
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Interested in weight training myself, but there seems to be no way to avoid the weight gain that comes with it.
    I was told by a trainer it would cause weight gain, and according to the stronglifts site, people gain 25Ibs in a year sometimes from doing the 5x5 programme, so I am undecided. I did manage to pick up a 30kg barbell and lift that over my head for 3 sets of 7 reps on my first attempt, but sort of put off continuing it, by the possible weight gain.

You will not gain 25 lbs of weight if you are weight training unless you are eating a calorie surplus. If anything, you might gain a lb or two or water weight. And the ability to preserve lean body mass and improved fat loss will outweigh the few lbs of water weight.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    This is great!

I've been doing the LiveFit program - it is great for beginners. Diet and exercise programs are laid ut for every day for 12 weeks. Plenty of time to get into a routine. Plus it is all free and the site can tract the progress of your lifts as well as body stats, http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html

I just finished week 3: I've gained 3 pounds, but lost:
    2 inches off my waist
    1 inch of my hips
    1.5" of my thighs
    These non-scale vistories are so much more important than the numbers on the scale! This means I am burning FAT while gaining lean muscle! So when the rest of this fat comes off I will be amazingly toned ;)

Good luck!
  • plaingirly
    Options
    My weights are due to arrive today! Am at Zumba tonight so won't have much time to play with them but am super excited!

Crazy to be excited over weights!!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    If you really want to get strong I'd agree with some things in here.
    New Rules of lifting for women.
    lift heavy weights.

zumba and stuff is great for just trying to be active, but if you want to be strong, lift to get stronger.