how much coffee is too much?

Options

Replies

• tashapoop
    Options
    Coffee is the best, you can never get enough.
    Well, yes you can, but still.
    It's great! Yum.
  • tashapoop
    Options
    Coffee is the best, you can never get enough.
    Well, yes you can, but still.
    It's great! Yum.
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Coffee is about the only way to survive day to day with a toddler. I drink 2-4 cups per day, usually with a bit of honey and cream.
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    For me- too much is when I'm really jittery and I can sit still for 5 seconds. Until that happens- no such thing as too much coffee.

And let's face it- even after that happens, it isn't too much. Others may disagree though.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    A8Jpo5KCAAAJTN4.jpg
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    For me- too much is when I'm really jittery and I can sit still for 5 seconds. Until that happens- no such thing as too much coffee.

And let's face it- even after that happens, it isn't too much. Others may disagree though.

A piece of bread takes the jitters away.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    If it starts interfering with your sleep then it's too much

This.
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    A8Jpo5KCAAAJTN4.jpg

I WANT THIS MUG!!! OMFG!!!! WHERE CAN I FIND ONE!!!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    sorry, I don't have anything. I never, ever thought there would be such a thing as too much coffee, ever.

^^THIS , BUT for me, coffee makes my skin break out, BADLY (my eczema) so I stop drinking it, and then I'll start again, stop again when need be
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Avoid decaffienated stuff as the process to make it so is not healthy I've heard.
    Which process would that be? There are many.

using Chlorine which gets rid of the caffeine
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    sorry, I don't have anything. I never, ever thought there would be such a thing as too much coffee, ever.

this!!!! Sometimes I have one cup. Sometime a pot or 2. I enjoy it and mostly have it black but occasionally w/ creamer or sugar or artificial sweetener. I love it.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    A8Jpo5KCAAAJTN4.jpg

I WANT THIS MUG!!! OMFG!!!! WHERE CAN I FIND ONE!!!

me too!!!!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Some people drink coffee to wake up, I wake up to drink coffee.

wake-up-smell-the-coffee.jpg
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I get cranky when there's too much blood in my caffeine system.

I love this! Thanks.
  • wonderfulboodad
    Options
    It really is hard to tell what is good for you anymore and what is bad. One study will say one thing and then someone else will do a study to refute that study. In the winter I drink at least 10 cups of coffee a day and in the winter I drink one cup in the morning and then fresh brewed iced tea and water. With all the coffee I drink I do drink a lot water with it as well because the Dr. has me on a diuretic and the coffee acts as one to a certain extent. I look at these studies this way, if you like coffee drink it and enjoy it.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Avoid decaffienated stuff as the process to make it so is not healthy I've heard.
    Which process would that be? There are many.

using Chlorine which gets rid of the caffeine
    I'll assume you're referring to methylene chloride, which is used in some decaffeination processes. Considering the entire decaffeination process washes away the vast majority of the chemical, what trace amounts are left behind would be destroyed by the roasting process, which is typically 4 to 5 times higher than the chemical's 105F-ish boiling point.

There are many other decaffeination methods, some of which result in great-tasting, 99.9% caffeine-free coffee using nothing more than water and carbon filters, or carbon dioxide... So even if you're paranoid about one process, there are others worth considering.

I drink both regular and decaf coffee because I actually love the taste of coffee. I want to drink a cup or three at midnight and not worry about losing sleep through the night.
  • Luthien007
    Luthien007 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Before MFP days I would often have a Golden Arches regular latte with full cream milk. Turns out there are 165 calories in a regular cup. Now we have a nespresso machine and a coffee shot with .4 cup skim milk for 35 calories.

I have 3 a day normally and decaf after lunch. Win win.
  • sunraew
    sunraew Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I liked to imagine that all the yummy rocket fuel improved my productivity, however, 5 to 6 cups a day produced wicked anxiety... too antsy for deep concentration and research reading... plus wrecked my sleep patterns. Insufficient sleep lead to stress, significant weight gain, more anxiety, plus depression. No caffeine (cold turkey) caused headaches and inability to focus and mood swings.

Don't need that. So, I quit (gradually over 6 weeks) and switched to two cups a day black Earl Grey tea, no sugar. All good! :drinker:
  • chapplish
    Options
    As long as i have more blood then coffee coursing through my veins I generally think it's still good :D
  • queensturg
    Options
    I would say that anything up to three cups a day is reasonable, as long as your doctor hasn't given you any reason that you shouldn't be having caffeine. In fact, regular caffeine intake in moderate doses can have it's health benefits; for one thing, it boosts your metabolism.