A jogging NSV for me

Options
bufger
bufger Posts: 763 Member
I've never jogged in my life and i really didnt intend to. My brother came to visit yesterday and asked if I wanted to go for a jog and I just thought 'why not'! I told him I've never done it and I'm really worried about how to breathe properly and my knees etc.

Anyways... for my first ever jog:

3 miles without stopping once! It was a 11-12 minute mile so its not exactly Usain Bolt but im happy that I could cover that kind of distance at 246lbs and my knees are OK and I didnt get shin splints.

My brother was a massive help. he was talking to me the whole way and corrected my breathing perfectly. On some pretty steep inclines he was telling me how I should breathe and use the decline as the breathing recovery. Even silly things like how to drink on the run without losing your breathing.

I absolutely loved it. I'm so thankful to my supportive brother and i'm looking forward to the next run.

Heres the route! The whole complete route is 4 miles so i underestimate when I say 3 but i dont know exactly. I walked from the finish back to the start

firstrun.jpg

Replies

• moounir
    moounir Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I can imagine that you were not expecting this and the result is awesome. I also want to jog but I am also worried for my knees. I think i need to loose some more weight before to try.

Congratulation and hope you'll continue.
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    First off, you deserve a HUUUUUGE congrats! *high five* :smile:

And second...

Welcome to the club. Once the running bug bites, you never lose the love to just be free & head out for a run.

I started running in 2010, when I quit smoking. The first month was h*ll, (after having lived an unhealthy life for so long), but I then experienced that moment which you just described...that moment when you could actually do it, and you felt AMAZING! Since then I've been hooked. And I've gotta say, I think you will be too.

Grats again, you've just enriched your life...you'll see. From this point forward, it only gets easier & you only start to feel better. Plus, you'll love going out for a run & having your "me time." :smile:
  • bufger
    Options
    @Moounir you're right, I wasnt expecting to make it that far which is why it was such a victory for me. I've been mixing strength and cardio for 3 months now and some HIIT like basketball games. I've just never had much endurance though so I was suprised.

@Kaysa, High 5! i'm proud to join the club and i'm already looking at routes on google maps. LOL
  • persuader1
    persuader1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Well done, I've been running about 2 months now and only in the past few weeks have I been able to run for 30 mins so to be able to do it straight off is a real achievement!
  • bufger
    Options
    Well done, I've been running about 2 months now and only in the past few weeks have I been able to run for 30 mins so to be able to do it straight off is a real achievement!

Thanks Dan. Friends request sent if you dont mind! We can give each other running tips if we're at the same point
  • nomsquared
    nomsquared Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you're going to continue running outside, you should use mapmyrun.com instead of google - it's an awesome tool that lets you see other routes people have done near you, calculate the calories burned, make your own routes, etc... :)
  • bufger
    Options
    If you're going to continue running outside, you should use mapmyrun.com instead of google - it's an awesome tool that lets you see other routes people have done near you, calculate the calories burned, make your own routes, etc... :)

Thanks for the great tip!
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    way to go. take it one step at a time. runnin/joggin is GREAT!! :)
  • francaise3
    francaise3 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Awesome to hear you had such a great experience! :) Welcome to the club! :)
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Strava is another great program you can use if you run or bike to keep track of your runs and see where others are finding fun places to go.

Congratulations! Keep trying new things and pushing forward.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!