X-Smokers

Options

Replies

• smarston
    smarston Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have been smoke free for a little over two years now. I decided on a day that I was going to quit and I just did it cold turkey. I didn't wait to finish the pack just for the new day. I found that every time I quit before I would just end up buying a new pack because I didn't have enough tot last through the final day . For about 3 days it was really bad but I just kept telling myself that I was NOT going to smoke and chewed gum. I would smoke when I was stressed before I quit and knew that I could go smoke and come back a completely different person and I had to try to find another way to do that. I suggest you do the same. Find something other than smoking to help you relax. I started reading A LOT. I found that when I felt like smoking I would get that "new person" effect by reading only if it was only a few minutes. (lol I'm not sure how to explain it) If you need some suggestions of a few really good books I have plenty in mind. ;) I also carried the half smoked pack of cigarettes in my purse for probably 6 months and managed to not to even smoke one. For me it was knowing I had the option that if I REALLY felt like I needed one I could though I never did. This is probably sounds insane but it helped me quit for good. Of course this was the 3rd time I quit and I always ended up smoking a few months later as all my friends and most of my family smoked. Without them on hand I felt like I had no option and only made me want to run to the nearest gas station and pick up another pack. I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT! GOOD LUCK!
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everybody! I will definately come back and look at this for support in the future. The thing I'm the most worried about is just flat out snapping at work. I already can't stand the majority of the people I work with and the customers are usually pretty horrible too. I've been taking Zyban for almost 2 weeks and have cut back from a pack a day down to less than 10. I will be using Nicoret (for cravings & freakouts) and have just purchased a new treadmill to keep me busy at home. Congrats to everyone that has quit and a Big Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice and support!
  • leggynita
    leggynita Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    totally agree, I read Allan Carr too...what an inspirational man. I read it at least 4 times and it took me 2 years to stop smoking, from when I started reading the book!!!!! In the end I had chronic bronchitis on and off for 18 months before I finally said enough is enough. My stop date was May 2nd 2009, I have tried to smoke twice since then, but I physically couldn't take a drag on the damm thing!!!! I really thought I wanted/needed to smoke.....obviously I didn't, I was standing there feeling like a complete idiot trying to take a puff and I couldn't even do it properly. And like someone said above I too still get this little "thought" in my head that says..."once I've done that I'm gonna have a cig!" it's mad coz straight away you say to yourself...that's weird I don't smoke!!!! Allan Carr had one of those moments 10 years after he stopped...he said it's just an old habit. I always thought it would make me anxious getting thoughts like that...but it doesn't.
    Gutterball, you will succeed. I can tell you that I feel absolutely fantastic (I have had some minor illnesses, but my doctor has been great and said that it sometimes takes a year of being illl for you to feel the full effects or not smoking, and though I didnt feel too bad, looking back I feel 90% better then I did then when I first stopped).
    :happy:
  • CaitlinEats
    CaitlinEats Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I smoked a pack a day for 8 years and quit cold turkey more than 5 years ago. I had tried several times before and failed, but this time something just clicked. Two things that really helped me:

1. Practically: Dum-dums (someone mentioned these). They are only like 5 calories each, super-tiny, and take about one cigarette's time to suck down. I would even hold it like a cigarette, or go outside and have one--anything to make the irritation of quitting just a bit easier.

2. Emotionally: I have never--not even once--had a single drag since the day I quit. This may not be true for some, but I know that one will lead to two will lead to a whole pack to being a full-on smoker again eventually. It's still hard sometimes, even five years later, when I'm having a drink and smell a cigarette and I'm in a particular mood or something. For me, the key is always remembering how gross and defeated I would feel to find myself buying a pack of cigarettes--because I know that is where one drag would lead, eventually.

Hope that helps! It's the hardest thing, but so so so worth it in the end. Good luck!!!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    11 days clean for me.
    Eating a lot of fruit and veggies, and hitting the treadmill hard to keep me occupied.

I'll admit reading this thread is making me crave one, so I'll go make a little snack and go for a little walk now. It's hard to sit here at my computer because there was ALWAYS an ashtray here at my desk, it was my most popular smoking spot besides my Jeep.

...tiptoeing away from this thread and my desk now.....
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Oh, and one more thing.... just like dieting, if you fall off the wagon, don't beat yourself up over it. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get back on it! YOU CAN DO IT.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Oh, and one more thing.... just like dieting, if you fall off the wagon, don't beat yourself up over it. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get back on it! YOU CAN DO IT.
  • richmondhillgal
    Options
    I have to say I really, really wanted to quit this time. It took 25 years of 2 packs day and a scare of cancer to finally get the point that smoking was gonna kill me. I found a website that really helped me so much in the beginning. I think the most important thing is to be prepared ahead of time and pick a date. Once you pick the date, start to prep, just like preparing for a race you have to know what is needed to win. Make no mistake, it is a challenge but what worth having isn't? Make up your mind, get rid of all smoking related stuff, clean everything, get sugar free stuff to help with cravings, use patches, filters etc if you need help. Finally, don't let anyone tell you that one cigarette is ok, IT'S NOT!!! One cigarette means you are still a smoker. Make the decision to live a cleaner, healthier life and be a great example to others. I am proof that you can be smoke free after years of smoking. Oh, I will be 6 years smokefree in about 6 months. No smoking at all!!! :) If you want to check the site..www.quitnet.com or www.legacy.com
  • sheltieroger
    sheltieroger Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I quit 2 years ago after a long history of smoking (15 ish years)...I hadn't had a smoke for a few days and hubbys brother came over and was being an absolute *kitten*. I wanted a smoke REALLLY badly...I told myself that even if I had a smoke, the brother would still be an *kitten* and I would be back smoking. So I abstained....and kept telling myself during stressful situations (my trigger for smoking) that even if I smoked, the stress would still be there. Eventually, I didn't want to smoke anymore.

Good luck!! I agree with those that said, power clean out all the places you smoke...nothing worse than the smell of stale smoke!!!
    Hugs
    Beth
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    *Bump*

:bigsmile:
  • robin52077
    Options
    How's it going gutterball???

Today should be day 2 if you did it when you said you would...

I hope you are out for a walk right now and not outside having a smoke! :wink:
  • FitbitConnor
    FitbitConnor Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I quit about four years ago when my wife and i decided to try for a baby (shes nearly three now :0) ) and the only way i could do it was to at the best of my ability cut any ties i had with the smokes. I mean i didnt go to pubs or bars, i didnt even go near beer as that was when i tended to really smoke the most *socially* I also tried to take on new habits to replace the habitual/ritualized smoking. Before my official quit day i also quick taking smokes to work with me. I'm kind of impulsive in nature so if i had smokes to hand when i had a real craving i was probably like 85-90% going to cave in so i knew i had to always be a few steps away from getting near to a cigarette because the cravings really do pass, and the longer you go, the quicker they pass. after a couple of days the physical withdrawal is over, then you just have the routine to break. After about a month you should be more relaxed about it and the desire to smoke will really dissipate, you will most likely still get cravings out of the blue for a much longer period of time but you'll be able to take them in your stride :0)
  • SageGoddess320
    Options
    How's it going gutterball???

Today should be day 2 if you did it when you said you would...

I hope you are out for a walk right now and not outside having a smoke! :wink:

It's going better than I thought it would. The cravings seem to be coming in waves. I have a feeling next week is going to be way more difficult than these past two days. At home there are no stressful situations to face and, more importantly....no annoying co-workers/customers to push me over the edge. Monday is when the real challenge begins.
  • Dragonfly11
    Dragonfly11 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Hi Ex's,
    Day 11 no cigs for me - one puff at a time!! It's Sunday afternoon and already I've walk/jogged 3miles and did 30 day shred!! To deal with my sweet tooth I did buy low fat fudge brownies to bake - they aren't completely horrible unless you eat half a pan :laugh:
    Which I have not done..... at least not yet.:drinker:
    I want to say a big "Thank You" to the poster who wrote " Is this stressful situation going to be any different if I smoke this cigarrette" or something to that effect. I have used that several times this weekend, and it worked just fine. I was in a meeting this morning watching the smokers and instead of feeling that longing, like i was missing something, i felt something else. I'm not sure what it was, a saddness and a recognition that it's not good for you~ no really. I can't believe how long I've been rationalizing my smoking- saying things like " oh, everything's bad for you.." I just don't feel that way anymore. A miracle.
    I have a walk for later this evening planned when I get back from the grocery store, going to spend a few cig bucks on some fruit:heart:

Thanks for the support and good luck to us all,
    Janet5
  • robin52077
    Options
    great job gutterball, and all the other EX-smokers, myself included! We ROCK!!!!:glasses:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    It is a great accomplishment so even when the scale isn't doing what I want I look at the number of days I haven't smoke and remember that I am really amazing (if I don't say so myself:blushing: ) Good luck to all of the ex's and like Robin said, "We Rock!"
  • SageGoddess320
    Options
    Well, it's my third smoke-free day and my first day at work since I quit. I have only been here for an hour and I already want to rip everyone's faces off. I really don't want anyone to talk to me unless it's work related. I can't wait to leave this place.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I quit on July 4, 2009. I will never smoke again! I don't have any suggestions really. I put it down and just haven't wanted it since!
  • nursee67
    nursee67 Posts: 503
    Options
    Smoke free for almost 6 months after 20+ yrs of smoking. Feels great to breathe! No morning coughing...love it! Good luck on your journey. It can be the best one of your life!
  • SageGoddess320
    Options
    Well, I made it through the day without spazzing out OR slipping up. I also started a blog and that seems to be helping me work through some of my thoughts and frustrations with this whole process. We'll see how I do tomorrow. Hopefully I won't feel quite as much rage as I did this morning :explode:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!