Walking as exercise !!

Options
Hi
Is there anyone who doesnt exercise apart from lots of walking?

Replies

• raesma
    Options
    I mainly walk for exercise. I used to run but, due to back problems, my doctor has forbidden it. I still occasionally do other things (step aerobics, elliptical) but mostly I walk. Because I hate not being able to run (read: jog), I am determined to walk a half-marathon. I found a walking plan online somewhere for training for a half-marathon. I'm not sure what your questions about walking are but I'll give you a few tips if you're getting started:
    Just walk. Even if you're not in the mood to sweat, just walk.
    Once you're used to walking, you can start cross training (elliptical, swimming, anything for cardio
    Don't just walk on level paths. Add some hills to really push yourself.
    Walking is a great exercise you can do anywhere, anytime. Practice parking at the end of the lot and hoofing it in, for example. Also get a step counter to motivate yourself to take so many steps per day.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Walking is the only form of active exercise I do outside of my daily routine. I find it the most enjoyable and the easiest to fit into my life. I love it.
  • stacy_1971
    stacy_1971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If you count the treadmill as "walking", I walk on land and on treadmill almost exclusively, for now. Sometimes both in one day. (I'm a thrill-seeker that way!)
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I do mostly walking, cleaning house and cooking for exercise due to physical disabilities.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Walking is what kick-started most of my weight loss. During the summer I was doing 4 miles 3-5 times a week, in addition to some Zumba. Walking/Running/Jogging.. best feeling ever.
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise!! I walk my son to school permitting the weather is good, it is good exercise for both of us. I occasionally ride my bike and do some Richard Simmons workouts, but mostly walk.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I only do walking right now. Since I work in Manhattan i do a lot of walking on a daily basis. Im still losing weight. The days I dont walk ( weekends) copmpared to my work days--it makes a big difference in the calories and how much I can eat.

I dont plan on incorporating other exercise for awhile.
  • xSakura
    xSakura Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I dance every now and then and I've also started using my exercise bike daily, but walking is my main exercise. I've lost a stone since September doing this, whilst consuming 1250cal a day (reset my tracker in Oct due to starting Thyroid meds). I think it's a great way to exercise and it's so simple :smile:
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Walking is what kick-started most of my weight loss. During the summer I was doing 4 miles 3-5 times a week, in addition to some Zumba. Walking/Running/Jogging.. best feeling ever.

same here for me.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i was walking EVERYDAY as my exersice and it gives you some GREAT legs by the way... :drinker:
  • StefPayne
    StefPayne Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Walking is my main form of exercise, I started at the beginning of summer with 3 to 4 miles 6 days a week. Now that I have eached my goal I walk 2 to 3 miles 4 or 5 days a week to maintain. I throw some other workouts in there ovvasionally but for the most part it has been walking for me.
  • centexhusker
    centexhusker Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I almost exclusively walk on a tread mill for my exercise. I sometimes do the elliptical machine. I've lost about 25 lbs over 2 mos. I've tried to jog on the treadmill for 10-20 minutes periods but I'm still to heavy and my joints ach from it.

1) My normal routine is a warm up of about 5 minutes @ 3.0-3.2 mph with a 4.5 incline

2) I then walk @ 3.8-4.0 mph for anywhere from 45-55 minutes @ 4.5 incline

3) I burn somewhere in the neighborhood of 400-450 cals

4) I do this 5 days a week

It's working so far but I'd like to get to where I'm jogging a little more :)
  • Mamabearuk
    Mamabearuk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Walking is one of the best exercises you can do, I know when I young and before we had a car I used to walk everywhere and was a lot slimmer and fitter. I love going for long walks in the countryside.
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I went from 308 to 223 with just walking and diet. I did later do intermittent walking and jogging intervals..
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Walking is pretty much it for me right now. I try to walk on my lunch break and when the weather was nice I would load my little man into the stroller when we got home after work. I have been doing the Leslie Sansone walking workouts when I can at night (not as often as I should or would like to) now that it is dark when we get home and much colder. Joint issues that I have had since long before I was overweight make a lot of other exercise harder to do because of injury risks. Hoping that I can work up to some of it.
  • terrymbradley
    Options
    With my crippling arthritis my hips are fused naturally my shoulders are almost fused totally its about the only thing I can do and only 2 or 3 times a week.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    For the first few months, that's all I did for exercise. It's great exercise - especially outside on a beautiful day, with the fresh air. The more you do it, the more you will find you look forward to it!
  • cajungirltx
    cajungirltx Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post. Walking is my form of exercise. I was wondering if there were others that only walked. I would like to start lifting small weights at home.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 20 pounds by just walking. When I first started I could hardly make it to the mailbox without back pain. I got on the treadmill and kept going. Went for a mile, then a mile and a half and worked my way up to a minimum of 2.5 daily. I have since added running, lifting, aerobics etc, but walking is still my favorite. Yesterday I walked 4 miles, outside in the sun and it was great.
  • mandamommy3
    mandamommy3 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Walking was my main form of exercise over the summer. I was walking between 4 and 6 miles a day 4-6 days a week. Now that its getting dark so early I only get out to walk on the weekends in the mornings. I have started doing my workout dvd's now during the week, but miss my walks.