I hate exercise...

Options

Replies

• AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    I love working out i love the feeling of the PUMP and I love breaking PR ( personal records ) its rewarding knowing I can change my body to how i feel and no one can control this except GOD he controls everything I mean by Human no government can stop me from changing the way i change my body
  • Princess41463
    Princess41463 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yaay! I'm not alone! I HATE exercise, too. I am absolutely miserable the entire time I'm doing it. Then I get frustrated with myself because I don't want to hate it. I want the body I'm working for but for me working out is equivalent to eating dog poo...I abhor it. I hired a personal trainer...I always find a reason not to go. I hooked up with a work out buddy...I always find a reason not to go. I just hate it with a passion. I want to like it. I want to love it. I just really don't.

So, instead of working out I started taking a class at the gym called restorative yoga. It's done mostly on the floor either sitting or laying down in various positions that you hold for about five minutes at a time. You are stretching your muscles and releasing tension. I've really enjoyed this because I'm not jumping all around, not out of breath, it doesn't make my side ache.

From there I started going to the gym about 15 minutes earlier than the class and I would would at a slow pace on the treadmill. Not even aiming to get my heart rate up...I would do it for 10 minutes and then go to class. It's my way of training my mind and body to do a routine and since it's easy for me to do I don't hate it. The next time I increase the incline (not the speed) and walk for 10 minutes - I am up to 15 minutes now with an incline of 8. I've built up to it so I haven't been miserable and it's just becoming my before yoga routine.

I don't know if I'll ever end up liking working out or not - but this is the best way I have found to at least get my butt in the gym and do something - because something for 15 minutes is better than nothing at all.
  • sannsk
    sannsk Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Have sex

:drinker:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to do things you don't enjoy because it's important for your health.

Personally, I despise lifting, but I do it 2-3 times a week to maintain my lean body mass, keep my bones strong, and look better.

So, suck it up and do what you need to do. :smile:

this!

plus, you dont enjoy playing wiht your kids?! wow!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I wish people would understand that you dont love exercise until you do it enough to realize you miss it when you don't do it.

There aren't 20% of humans that love exercise and 80% that hate it.

There are people who exercise and people who dont.

People who exercise - i dont mean occasionally for fun - I mean as a lifestyle, meaning at least 6 months into a consistent pattern PROVING your money is where your mouth is. - People who exercise benefit from it in the following ways:

increase in energy
    elevated mood levels
    better coping skills
    stronger mental strength
    stronger self-discipline
    tendency to lean toward action than inaction

those things make you want to exercise.

I have energy! I feel great and happy! Work was stressful, and I know I need to do something to ground myself PLUS its good for me anyway. Headed to the gym!

Later!!

...it's not about exercise, its about having a brain and body that have been put back on the correct path. The natural, active path that humans were designed for. Not the couch / car/ bed/ computer chair of immobility and laziness. <~~ THAT is not natural.
  • tryingsooohard
    Options
    It's not running but trekking in Nepal to get base camp of the hymalyers.Its cheap beautiful scenery and a lot different from gym I'll look like a Ethiopian at the end but run like them too!
  • eilispha
    Options
    Play wii - even if you just do the bowling or tennis or something like it you will be exercising and it's fun and maybe involve the family.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    If you're going from a life without exercising to one with exercising, it's not going to be enjoyable at first. When my boyfriend wanted to get healthy, he found that going with me to the gym and us inviting one of our other friends along helped keep him motivated. So, I agree that the social aspect of it can be helpful with some people. But, it sounds like your friends aren't so into it either. So, change tactics; instead of bringing friends with you, why not get into a group activity and make friends there? Maybe a walking club or something out of the box like a fencing class?

Unless you're in pain, it sounds like you don't dislike exercise so much as disliking the lack of mental stimulation from doing something different by yourself. This isn't a bad thing until you let it get in the way of your goals.

I'm an introvert, so I've always been happy been hiking off in the woods by my lonesome and solo heavy lifting. My cardio, when I'm not walking, is watching Netflix on a treadmill. But, until we brought the social aspect in, my boyfriend wouldn't touch the gym. He's now loosing weight and feeling better. :)
  • slund007
    Options
    I have a bad knee on one leg and a bad ankle on the other. My choices of exercise are limited. If it requires running or bouncing, I'm doomed. However, I have found the treadclimber and treadmills allow me to workout without damage. I also discovered audio books. I can get my favorite audio books from the local library and install them on my IPOD. Now, I look forward to my workouts because the time just flies by!
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I didnt like exercising either, but i tried everything until i found something i liked. I push myself. " Do one more song" " do 15 more minutes"., etc. Listen to music or watch tv while you workout. Find something you DO like- I LOVE the water so any chance i can workout in the water, thats my first choice! I HATE running so usually thats my last choice.

no one said you had to spend an hour doing something if you dont like it. if you do 6 different machines for 10mins and it works for you then do it! Find what works for you!
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Hooping!! You will love it - some hoop with me,, you can do it with friends, the kids, alone, inside, outside and to music!!

Amanda...when you wanna teach me to hoop?!!
  • Queen_JessieA
    Options
    Sometimes you have to do things you don't enjoy because it's important for your health.

Personally, I despise lifting, but I do it 2-3 times a week to maintain my lean body mass, keep my bones strong, and look better.

So, suck it up and do what you need to do. :smile:

this!

plus, you dont enjoy playing wiht your kids?! wow!!

Not the type of playing my boys do! Not a football girl ;)
  • LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    Options
    Good for you for checking out water aerobics!

My aunt had rhumatoid arthritis, where your joints become gnarled and twisted, did water aerobics for years and loved it. It's eay on the bones. She got into weight lifting and riding bikes at the gym too.

this is such a great thread! :)
  • Queen_JessieA
    Options
    Ok...happy to say that I went to the gym Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday...and two of those days I did a weight routine I found on the app store for my iPhone :)

So I sucked it up and went. My goal to start getting in the habit is only 30 mins. 4 days a week...and that is what I did. But I am OOBER sore. I can barely move my upper body. Yikes! So, I know that I did something right with the weights :)
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Have sex

TOTALLY THIS...lol
  • nomicat77
    nomicat77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    that's a great idea.
  • nomicat77
    Options
    I have a bad knee on one leg and a bad ankle on the other. My choices of exercise are limited. If it requires running or bouncing, I'm doomed. However, I have found the treadclimber and treadmills allow me to workout without damage. I also discovered audio books. I can get my favorite audio books from the local library and install them on my IPOD. Now, I look forward to my workouts because the time just flies by!

great idea.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    Have you tried boxing? It's a lot of fun. It's tough, but you get to hit stuff.

i second boxing. we got a 100 pound punching bag for our basement in october, and not only is it a fun workout, but a wonderful stabilizer for my mental well being!
  • nomicat77
    Options
    Have sex

TOTALLY THIS...lol

hahaha, agreed
  • whitmars106
    whitmars106 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Rollerblading was my only favorite method of exercise. However, after I quit blading when I slipped into a deep depression, I never picked it back up. Now that I've gained so much weight since then, I'm just going to the gym and doing other outdoor activities until I feel confident enough to get back to blading! Sometimes you just have to moan and groan, and get it done. You'll be so much happier and proud of yourself that you did it in the end, and before you know it, you're not making excuses to NOT go...Best of luck!