Will Power VS Co Workers

Options
I work in a large office, in a department full of people who all eat terribly. I'm the only person in my department actively trying to change my life style, lose weight, and live healthier. And it's starting to drive me crazy.

My department in particular, is FULL of people who LOVE to have potlucks, and are constantly bringing in things for the department members to eat like chips, petzels, cheese puffs, donuts, muffins, bagels, candy, ETC. I don't really feel like it would behoove me to eat ANY of this food, but more importantly, the table where all this stuff sits is RIGHT BEHIND MY DESK. so any time I have to get up from my desk to go ANYWHERE, I'm walking past this smorgasbord of sin and temptation. I've tried talking to them about it before, asking if they could move the table, or at least bring in some healthy alternatives, so I don't feel so left out because I can't touch a single thing on the table, and they just sort of look at me like I'm nuts. To battle the temptation, I've started bringing my own snacks in, so that if I'm really feeling hungry and like I need/want to munch on something, I have fruit, yogurt, cucumbers, cream cheese, almonds, rice chips, and various other things, plus I try to chug water all day, to keep me feeling full, and to ensure I don't fill up too much on my own snacks just to offset my craving the things I can't/won't eat.

I guess my point is that while I'm really proud of myself for (usually/mostly) resisting temptation, I feel like I shouldn't have to work so hard just to get through my day. like... You're my co-workers. shouldn't you take my comfort at least a little into consideration when you're bringing in all these terrible things to put right in front of me? I don't think it would even bother me so much if the table was somewhere else, but according to my boss, this is the only place they can put it. and there's only so many "sorry you have to see this" that I can hear before I want to scream "THEN STOP BRINGING IT SO I DON'T HAVE TO SEE IT, ANYMORE".

Anyway, I know this is probably coming off as snotty, but I'm just feeling disgruntled. This morning, there are two containers of glazed donuts sitting on the table, burning a hole in the back of my head.

I think it's time to have some pineapple.

Replies

• hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Yikes! That border lines cruelty. Unfortunately, that is a tough one. Is there another place that the food can be moved? If so, you could you just move it? Also, when there is a potluck, could you bring something in to share with the potluck? It sounds like you are alienating yourself from your co-workers (I understand why), but it's not helping your cause. You could also tell them you recently went to the doctor and your blood work came back BAD and your doctor wants you on a strict diet ......yeah,.....lie....so what.....maybe get them to take you more seriously? Other than that, I don't think there's a whole lot you can do.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Unbelievable. Sorry to hear about your situation. I actually bought a small dorm fridge that I have in my office for bottles of water, I currently have in there light string cheese, pineapple, tomatoes, yogurt and bottled water. I specifically did this so I wouldn't have to go to the other areas and see any badness/temptation.

I know you've asked them to bring in healthier choices, or move the table....I'd keep asking. I remember seeing one post recently where a girl told people at a party, "I'm a compulsive over eater. It's like an alcoholic with alcohol, only with me it's food. If there's any way this can be put somewhere else so that I don't have to see it or be reminded of it, I would really appreciate it."
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I've tried talking to them about it before,

don't do this

lead by example not by words
  • ambitiousaries
    Options
    OMG!! i soooo know what you are going through, someone just knocked on my door asking if i want donunts and they know am trying to loose the weight! i am afraid of this month with all the parties and foods being delivered from different vendors! its so hard to keep focus with all that food on display! smh
  • Fenomka
    Fenomka Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've tried talking to them about it before,

don't do this

lead by example not by words

I feel that's sort of taken out of context, considering I ALSO do my best to lead by example - when I do eat something off the table, say during a pot luck, it's something off whatever I brought, myself - veggie tray, fruit basket, etc. otherwise, I do my best not to touch the stuff.

And to the expressing it as a medical issue in anyway, I've done that, too. :( I agree that It feels like I'm alienating myself, every time I even bring it up with them, or try to bring something healthy to a pot luck, surrounded by all the bad stuff. Worse, when the food is provided to us (Usually including cake) and while everyone else is at the table, I'm sitting there with my headphones on, and I KNOW it's obvious I'm doing my best to ignore the whole thing. I don't want it to be a case of making it seem like I feel like I'm above them or better than them because "I'm eating healthy and you're not" but srsly, I have WAY too much weight to loose, to let myself slip. I talked to a friend who's a therapist, and she mentioned that sometimes, when you're losing weight, people who knew you before still see you as big, and don't realize how detrimental what they're doing is, because they're still thinking of you the way you were, not the way you are.

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words. Sometimes, it helps just to know I'm not the only one struggling, and the companionship itself gives me strength to stave off temptation one more day.
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. My fiance and I eat healthy when we are at my house, which is most of the time. Every other weekend and Wednesday nights, he has his kids (who live with their mother) and doesn't want to follow the healthy agenda. On Friday night he made pasta, garlic bread, sugar cookies, chocolate chip cookies, and had out cheese, summer sausage and crackers to snack on. On Saturday he brought out pie. I didn't eat any of it, but it was tough. I spoke to him about it and he apologized, but I doubt anything will change. He spends so little time with them that he doesn't want to deny them anything and I understand that. At my house I just don't buy junk food and my teenage daughter and son (when he is home from college) understand. If they want a particular treat, then I will get them a single serving at a convenience store, so it won't be around.

Is it possible for you to just move the table yourself? It's sad that you have asked for this and it hasn't been done. I do bring in my own snacks for during the day and I agree with others who say to just have a small amount. Sometimes I'll have a bite of something and immediately throw the rest away. Everyone at work knows I've been losing weight and are very understanding.

Good luck!