If I sleep less, can I eat more?

Options
2»

Replies

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Exactly, your TDEE will be higher if you sleep less

That rather depends on what you do during that additional time you are awake.

Sleeping is actually a great, low intensity workout. You move frequently during sleep. You don't have the opportunity to eat. It refreshes you so that the next day you can be more active leading to higher NEAT & TEA.

On balance I think the best fat loss strategy would be sleeping as much as you can....
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I once read you should compensate for lack of sleep with more movement, i.e. exercise.

More food is just more food. The real answer of course is more sleep. Try it ;)

It's awesome
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    Not sleeping enough = Not good! I still battle with this one. It can really hinder weight loss by not giving the body enough time to recover. just keep trying! We'll get it.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    The best solution is probably to sleep more and eat the same amount...
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Oh and just to clarify:

Sleeping has a MET value of 0.9
    Watching TV has a MET value of 1

When are you more likely to binge on high calorie, nutrient deficient junk food? In front of the TV in the evening or while you are asleep?

Go to bed earlier. You won't regret it...
  • Sujit8383
    Sujit8383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    sleeping makes u lose weight.. so actually no...... u need to sleep more i think.... and if u are up longer than I think that can make u fatter... but ur sooo tiny in ur picture i am sure it wont make a difference :)

by the way u look like a model...:)
    Her dp is of indian model n actress bipasha basu.............now don't guess that lion is posting on mfp........:laugh:
  • Sujit8383
    Sujit8383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    u need enuf sleep so don't do such silly stuff, its unhealthy........:smokin:
  • ErzaScarlet
    ErzaScarlet Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sleeping too little makes your body hate you. I wouldn't eat more. Any increased calorie burn from being awake for two extra hours is probably offset by all the hate your body is feeling.

Hahaha Love this.
  • runboostie
    runboostie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    After years and years of having to work nights, I think I can say, "no."

Interrupted sleep is a major cause of weight gain, partly because the body seeks more calories to offset fatigue, and one's resistance (to temptation) is lowered. If you must eat more, try doing so within reason...

But...I think I just saw you are trying to keep to 1200 cal a day. In which case, you should eat more because that is unreasonably low, whether awake or asleep.

My humble opinion. (You did ask!)

Boo Thomas Braniac
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    If your body can't get the sleep it craves, than it will switch to hunger so you will feed it. I always notice when I have stayed up too late when I ignore my tiredness (watching a movie or whatnot) then it will switch to hunger. And not because you body needs more fuel, its just looking for something to compensate for the lack of sleep.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    No it is not. Sleeping less really screws up with hunger and appetite behavior. Trust me on this one

^^this. Plus it can slow down weight loss.

If we are counting calories I doubt this is true

What is the other side of the energy equation?

Exactly, your TDEE will be higher if you sleep less

Not necessarily, Your NEAT may well decline because you are tired, your exercise efficiency may decline plus it increases stress which also may have a metabolic effect.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    No it is not. Sleeping less really screws up with hunger and appetite behavior. Trust me on this one

^^this. Plus it can slow down weight loss.
    I only get 3-5 hours a sleep a day. What matters is calories in vs calories out.

Yes it is calories out v calories in. But calories out may well be impacted. You may be OK on that amount of sleep, but someone who is used to more will be tired and will likely have a lower NEAT.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    The answer is...

No
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    The answer is...

No

^^^This
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    "I only get 3-5 hours a sleep a day. What matters is calories in vs calories out."
    [/quote]

How are you functioning on that little sleep? I mean, its not just about weight gain and calories, your body and especially your brain need time to recharge, and 3 hours is definitely not enough. According to the National Sleep Foundation, adults need between 7-9 hours of sleep on average.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Seems legit.

Possibly not particularly healthy, but all else being equal, more awake time means more calories burned.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    "I only get 3-5 hours a sleep a day. What matters is calories in vs calories out."

How are you functioning on that little sleep? I mean, its not just about weight gain and calories, your body and especially your brain need time to recharge, and 3 hours is definitely not enough. According to the National Sleep Foundation, adults need between 7-9 hours of sleep on average.

Somewhere out there is a guy who needs 10-14 hours. Problem solved.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Try it for two weeks. Weigh yourself. Get back to us. Off you go...