Does anyone use wii for exercise?

Options
I was wondering if anyone uses any of the wii "games" or videos to exercise to add to your exercise routine? I am looking for something to do that is more "fun" than using a treadmill or elliptical that I can add for variety. I also would like to get my daughter more active. We like to do the country dance one, but I was wondering if there was something a little more of a workout than that. Suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I recently got a wii. I have the Zumba game which is a good workout, gets me sweating. I also tried once but do not have a Just Dance game, that was really fun. I also have the Sports game that has bowling, tennis, baseball and they do get me moving, and is fun enough that makes me forget I'm moving. I have heard that the Wii Fit has a hula hoop thing that is supposed to be a really good workout, but I haven't tried that one yet.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I used the Wii Fit when I first started out. I couldn't even fit on the board and had to step with one foot on it to be able to play!!! (Max weight for the board is 330). It's a good start for exercise and a great way to mix it up. I, personally, don't think it's ENOUGH of a workout but it is fun and DOES burn calories.
  • Momma1213
    Options
    We use the Cardio boxing game. It has it's uses for upper body movement and I know my husband gets a better work out than I do with it. Please tell me more about the Zumba one! For the person that uses the FIt, what besides Yoga is on it? I have it but have never opened it.
    TIA!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Didn't we just have this question earlier today? :D

Anyway, yes, I have used it and Kinect. I think they are fantastic inventions.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Just Dance is a good workout too, Wii Active is good as well
  • jaly92
    jaly92 Posts: 91
    Options
    The Wii fit has some basic strength training exercises, yoga, some cardio and some balance games, not really enough to suffice as a workout regime in itself imo but enough to mix things up :)

Personally, I love Just Dance and find it fun so I forget that I'm actually exercising and it doesn't feel like a chore. I prefer it to Zumba because I find it easier to follow but if you don't like having to hold the controller then the convenience of a waistband is an advantage I suppose!
  • jfatheree78
    jfatheree78 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I think the Wii can be a great start for anyone who is not physically active already. Any body movement is better than none. There are a lot of fitness programs for Wii (check Amazon). If you are already pretty active/workout then it's probably not going to be enough for you. It's still fun though and a great way to get kids moving.
  • alzjunkyard
    alzjunkyard Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My kids love it when I play the Wii Fitness games with them. We especially like the martial arts and cross-country cycling games! I think if you can play a game straight for 20 - 30 minutes, you are getting a decent workout. Especially if your options are wii vs nothing.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Yeah, WiiResort is good fun. It's not a fantastic burn but it's certainly better than sitting on the couch and the kids will love it.
  • Laurieann137
    Laurieann137 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies!! It really is just something to add and that my daughter and I can do together. She is 9 years old and has always had some weight issues. She loves doing things with me. She had mentioned she liked wii fit, but I don't know much about that program. I know I would like to try Zumba sometime but I don't know which one to start with as I think there are two of them right?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I have the original Zumba Fitness. There is a Zumba Fitness 2 and a Zumba Fitness Core. Check Craigslist, I have seen a lot of Wii games advertised for a lot less than new. Or maybe your library might have it so you could try before buying.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Search for the Walk it out game as well. Super fun and the kids like it too.
  • michelle850
    michelle850 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    She did the wii fit here and really liked it. I used to use it to workout a long time ago. It's a good starter, and fun for the kids. We've had it for a few years and the kids still like doing it and there are lots of different things you can do. Yoga, running or biking (around the wii island, it's sort of fun) hula hoop, lots of balance games. Only bad thing is the weigh in's are designed for adults and not kids, it tell's Emma she's overweight, which bothered her. I told her it's not accurate for kids and she seemed ok. I still use it to weigh in, it's got all my weights for the past 3 years on a graph.
    Overall, I don't think it would give you a strenuous workout, but I like it for the kids!
  • sarahsweetheart08
    sarahsweetheart08 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I personally use Zumba Fitness 2. I love it because it shows how many calories I burn with each dance. I think theirs a new one that works specifically with Abs also.
  • iamthebillybob
    Options
    My wife and i used it and actually had success with it. We also used the gym and had success as well. The problem is actually using the tools that we have. Once again i am back with Fitness Pal and heavier than the last time i logged in. Damn holidays. But it is time to get busy again. Wii does work if you use it. :wink:
  • Laurieann137
    Laurieann137 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thank you again for the replys! Like I stated before, just looking for something to do with my daughter but not to BE my workout routine. I have a personal trainer that likes to kick my butt for that! :-)