Muscle Strain - PLEASE HELP!!!

Morning...!

So on saturday I completed level 2 of Ripped in 30 followed by the below for 3 sets:

Dumbbell lunge (forward) x 10
Dumbbell lunge (side) x 10
Dumbbell squat x 10
Dumbbell squat (sumo) x 10
Dumbbell deadlift (romanian) x 10
Dumbbell deadlift (stiff leg) x 10
Bodyweight glute kickback x 10
Bodyweight butt ups x 10

I was using 2x 4.5kg dumbbells

Yesterday I basically had to lay on my side all day because my butt and hamstrings were painful, even to touch!
Today, it hurts just to walk (let alone try and sit down!!)

Have I done too much and how long does muscle strain like this usually last?

I don't want it to put me off doing workouts like the above, so the more info I know, the better!

Replies

• TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    DOMS - Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness.
    Could last a few days depending on your level of fitness/how often you target these muscles. It's get easier with time.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    are you making sure to stretch afterwards? I was sore as can be after I started lifting heavy. I asked the trainer if it would EVER stop hurting, and he asked me about my (non existent) stretching routine. He told me to go stretch, and darned if I didn't feel better within 24 hours. Now I get sore, but it is more like an awareness of the muscles, and not major pain.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Muscle soreness is good, but I think what you are describing is too much....perhaps drop your weight a bit and let yourself build up to it? There are a lot of days where I am sore from lifting, but it shouldn't cause you to have to lay down on one side all day. :)

Also, make sure you warm up before, and stretch afterwards!
  • Brewster1215
    Brewster1215 Posts: 247 Member
    are you making sure to stretch afterwards? I was sore as can be after I started lifting heavy. I asked the trainer if it would EVER stop hurting, and he asked me about my (non existent) stretching routine. He told me to go stretch, and darned if I didn't feel better within 24 hours. Now I get sore, but it is more like an awareness of the muscles, and not major pain.

^^This. I myself, found out how darn important it is! Streeeeeeetch!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    DOMS - Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness.
    Could last a few days depending on your level of fitness/how often you target these muscles. It's get easier with time.

this.

recovery:
    food
    take a contrast shower (60 seconds hot 60 seconds cold)
    epsom salt bath
    foam rolling
  • charliehefferon
    charliehefferon Posts: 223 Member
    Hi guys,

Thanks for everyones response :)

I am definitely warming up and stretching afterwards...

To be fair, it was the first time lifting 9kg with this routine, but I had to move up from my last set of weights because it just wasn't challenging enough!

Guess I've shocked my body!

I'll take it easy with my lower body for a couple of days :)

Thanks again!!
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Ice where it hurts. Even better than an ice pack is ice massage. Fill a Dixie cup with water and freeze it, then peel it down and use the ice to massage where you have pain
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    foam rolling!!! i lifted heavy for the first time ever on saturday, felt just as you're describing.

i foam rolled for about 20 minutes last night, and could actually move my legs without extreme pain.

woke up stiff again this morning, foam rolled for 15 minutes before work, muscles feel SO much better. it hurts in a good way, then feels better.
  • [/quote]

this.

recovery:
    food
    take a contrast shower (60 seconds hot 60 seconds cold)
    epsom salt bath
    foam rolling
    [/quote]

So true, especially the contrast shower, I almost look forward to it after a good workout. Stretching too, both before and after, keep the movement up