What is MFP for you?

Options
How intense are you guys with your calorie tracking?

I've come across multiple threads here where it seems like people are taking their tracking way too far. It seems more like a fad diet, than a lifestyle. When I say too far, I'm talking about entering a piece of gum, or an almond into your tracker. Or denying themselves of any cravings, because they can't afford the extra 200 calories (To me, this is where a binge begins).Don't get me wrong, I think tracking is amazing, and I wouldn't have any success without it. But for me, I use it as a tool to learn from, and to inform me of where I can improve, rather than something that drives my life. I have a friend that has had many failed "diets" over the years. She has a lot of progress in the beginning, but after a month she quits. I think it has something to do with things like eating some nasty, instant soupy mess for breakfast, rather than the hearty egg/bacon/toast breakfast she really wants.

For example, if I want to eat something sweet, I'm going to eat something sweet. But what I decide to eat is going to be based on what I learned from tracking. Do I need that entire piece of chocolate cake? Or will a good chocolate truffle satisfy my sweet tooth? When I go out, I know enough to make a good decision, without having to reconcile the entire menu with my calorie tracker. But if I'm craving a burger, I'll eat it, knowing that it's not something that I'm going to eat every day.

Now this is just one man's opinion, and I'd love to get everyone's 2cents. But I have enough stress as it is, without having to freak out about staying under my calories every day. Now don't take that as me saying go eat 4000 calories a day, because like many on here, I am overweight, and in the process of achieving a healthy lifestyle. But I believe if you use this site like it's intended, you begin to learn how to make healthy and educated decisions without sacrificing your desire for good food, and without consulting your computer/smartphone every 10 minutes. Now I don't know about you, but I hate the idea of having to track my food for the rest of my life.

My intention here is not to start some raging debate. But I would love to know what opinions people have regarding this subject.

Replies

• holly78
    holly78 Posts: 347
    Options
    I usually fill in my entire day because I usually plan my meals ahead, and If I have left over calories, I know I can have an extra snack or whatever. If i know I am going out to eat, I will peruse the Menu online if one is available, just to see what are the better choices to pick from. If i go on the fly, I use the knowledge I have learned about cooking styles, or customize it to fit my needs. I have a few got items i know I can pick.

As far as cravings, I usually find a way to satisfy them without blowing my day. But if I don't, then I just start again the next day.
  • __F4t2f1t__
    Options
    A tool
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    My entire existence revolves around MFP starting with my friends, and I get all my interpersonal fullfillment from the interactions in this site. IRL I am a wreck and completely unable to function to socially.

JK, I Just use it to keep my macros in line and eat a consistent calorie count. Social interactions are just a bonus as this place is a quasi facebook (which ironically I hate).
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Everything
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    MFP to me is the reason I have success. I use the web version more...but I do also have the phone app in case I need to log on the run. I contribute my loss so far to MFP (and obviously my passion and willingness to keep going)
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Remember, we are not all here for the same thng.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    1. A place to talk about strippers.
    2. A place to get decent recipes.
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I like to drool on the muscled guy pics....
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I record all the FOOD I eat. I dont record gum, tic tacs or supplements (pills, liquids, etc. I'll record the protein drinks). If I feel like eating almonds, I will eat 1 serving size of them. I just make sure I have enough room to accomidate them. You'll find that after your basic 3 meals (if you are one to eat 3 meals and 1-2 snacks/day), you have a variety of choices on what you wish to snack on. Therefore, come snack time, if I feel like having almonds, I'll have a serving size of almonds. Perhaps I'll want fruit? Maybe cottage cheese? Perhaps something else? After a while, you know how large a serving size of almonds or a cup of cottage cheese are and do not need to measure them. However, at first I measured everything to get familiar with those serving sizes. I was very surprised to learn how small a tablespoon of peanut butter is!

I use this site to help me plan my meals and to control portion sizes. Now that I'm near my goal weight, I have a good grasp of portion size and my total food intake needs. Could I continue without using MFP? Absolutely, but I choose to continue here as I still enjoy planning out each day's food.

I also plan on continuing to use the forums as I enjoy sharing my experiences with those that are just beginning their journey to better their nutrition and exercise choices or to help answer any questions they might have.
  • kookeepup
    Options
    Since I started tracking, I've noticed I pretty much eat the same food and portion. My goal is to eventually stop tracking my calories and be able to just continue with my diet and exercise as if I'm still tracking. Of course I would miss the people/friends I've made here so I'll continue to track something just to keep in touch with friends here. But this has been a great tool in my progress. I now have a fitbit that allows me to see how much calories I burn throughout the day based on the activities I do or lack of doing.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    MFP is a way to get on the wagon and stay on it.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    It's a food journal/tracker tool. I don't record it if I have 2 almonds, but if I have 10, I probably will. I won't record 1 dove piece in one day, but if I have a piece a day over 5 days, I might. I won't record gum or a tic-tac or maybe a peppermint I have after a dinner typically...but that's only a once in a while thing. Usually I won't record condiments like ketchup or mustard, but I'll record mayo.

98% of what I eat goes on the tracker. I don't want to get to the end of the week, weigh in and be delusional over why I'm not losing weight.

It's a useful tool if you use it to your advantage.
  • cgilles9
    cgilles9 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I agree with you all. It is definitely a great tool, as long as it's used as just that...a tool. I think it can be really easy to allow it to consume you, and eventually let it run your life. I see it as a way to wean myself off of the bad habits that got me where I am today. When I first started tracking, I was logging every thing after every meal. I was studying the numbers, and seeing where I can improve. After a couple months, I have learned enough to where I can skip a day (not intentionally) and still feel in control. I would eventually love to get to a day where I know nutrition and my body enough to where I don't need to track anymore.

As far as the community, that is huge, and I don't think I will ever leave that. It is so informative, and on many topics regarding health and fitness, not just weight loss. Also the people here are amazing! My goal is to get to a point where I can begin helping people the way all of you help me.