Fitbit - is it worth it?

Options
2»

Replies

• Smiling_Sara
    Smiling_Sara Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Will it work with an eplyptical? OR just overall movements, or simply walking/running?
  • flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yes.

I mean, for me, it has made a huge difference. If it is getting on towards midnight, and I see I haven't made my step/stair goals, I will fit in a walk to see that I do. At my fitness level, this has been hugely beneficial. If you are all hard, maybe an HRM would suit you better, but I am not there yet.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I bought mine as my reward for the first 20lbs lost and have worn it ever since. I have the Ultra and it does make me a lot more aware of my activity levels and I'm now walking around a mile further home from work and take the stairs rather than the lift whenever I get the choice. A HRM is only good for actual exercise sessions but a FB will steer your right the rest of the time. I find wearing it helps keep me focused too.
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have had mine for almost a year and I love it! I don't go anywhere without it! It has really helped me keep track of the calories I actually burn rather than guesstimating. I love the fact that I can challenge my friends and try to beat their number of weekly steps! Plus, I love that it keeps track of my sleep patterns too! Plus, the customer service is second to none! I recemtly broke my fitbit and they replaced it for free! They also participate in recycling the old broken fitbits to help keep our earth greener! Great company and great fitness tool and website! Even if you only use the free options! If the price is to steep for you as far the Fitbit Ultra, they have less expensive options, like the Fitbit Zip. If you get one, you'll be hooked!

Stephanie :wink:
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    My vote is for BodyMedia, but it does cost more and has a monthly subscription fee after the first 3 months. An HRM won't help to motivate or track everyday activities which can really add up. The Fitbit is nice for everyday activities, but doesn't really pick some activities (biking, kayaking, weight training) as well as the BodyMedia. The BodyMedia may not work that well for weight training either, but I do think it is the best on the market for calorie burn. The Fitbit also overstated my activity alot while driving. You can override it, but it annoyed me.

Enjoy whatever you decide to purchase.
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I bought mine as my reward for the first 20lbs lost and have worn it ever since. I have the Ultra and it does make me a lot more aware of my activity levels and I'm now walking around a mile further home from work and take the stairs rather than the lift whenever I get the choice. A HRM is only good for actual exercise sessions but a FB will steer your right the rest of the time. I find wearing it helps keep me focused too.

I find this to be true too!!
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!!!!!! I am beyond addicted to my FITBIT.....so motivating to get out n move!!!! I've lost 3 sizes and feel ever so much better

BEST BEST BEST toy I bought myself
  • Broejen
    Broejen Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I've had my Ultra since the end of August and I love it! Couldn't do without it!
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I should be receiving mine within the next few days. I am happy to know there is a pregnancy setting on it!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Why not set up a membership on their site and have a look round before you decide? You don't have to have a fitbit to have a fitbit account and it will show you what it will do.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    YES!!! YES!!!! YES!!! I HAD LOST ALL MY MOTIVATION UNTIL I DECIDED TO COPY A CO-WORKER AND GO GET A FITBIT!! IT HAS HELPED ME AT LEAST KNOW THAT I NEED TO GET MOVING. I TRY TO REACH ALL THE SMALL GOALS THAT IT SETS FOR ME IN A DAY. I HAVE NOW STARTED LOSING AGAIN.

I LOVE MY FITBIT!!

I LEFT IT HOME ONE DAY WAS WAS SO PISSED AT MYSELF, BECAUSE I RUINED MY DAILY AVERAGE.

IF YOU DONT HAVE ONE, GET ONE, OR GET ONE OF THE OTHERS THAT ARE SIMULAR.

:)

What do you mean by the small goals. Have you got the extra service you pay for, or am I missing something.

The FitBit website sets goals for you: number of steps to take a day, flights of stairs, distance traveled, etc.

Ah OK. Thought you meant goals throughout the day- like STRIIV. Thought I was missing something.
  • RubyRed8067
    Options
    I didn't realize how expensive they were....maybe amazon will put them on sale soon? I'd also like to get the scales to go with it....decisions decisions.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize how expensive they were....maybe amazon will put them on sale soon? I'd also like to get the scales to go with it....decisions decisions.

The one and zip are new so doubt they will be on sale. The ultra can be found reduced though. A cheaper option for just an accurate pedometer is the Tanita PD724. It's a 3 axis accelerometer but is on,yen£25. It will give you steps and calories reasonable accurately. It won't put data into website though or do the sleep and stairs functions.
  • Aleciajones
    Options
    I like mine, for awhile I was doing good pushing myself over 6miles daily but then it malfunctioned. Customer support had me reset it only to have the same problem again so right now it's worthless. Good news is they are sending me a replacement. I'm so excited to get its didn't realize how much it was motivating me. Don't wear it against your skin, sweat wears off the coating on the back.
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I like mine, it's nice to have it automatically sync with MFP so I never have to log the type of exercise it can track. It also encourages me to get up and move more which is always good. If I had to do it over again I would have bought a HRM first then a fitbit later, but since they have a $50 model now it's worth picking up just for the convenience. I also really love that it tracks sleep.
  • lrob100
    lrob100 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Yes, get it! I got a fitbit ultra and it changed my life literally. 80 lbs down in 5 1/2 months. All I do is eat 1200 calories a day and walk walk walk (well now I run run run, but was too heavy for that for most of that 5 1/2 months). I wear the fitbit every single day.
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    If nothing else it helps me get to 10K steps a day and motivates me to do more activity so I think its worth it!