Handling the Holidays

Options
Hey everyone..with Thanksgiving coming up soon and then followed by Christmas and everything else..I was curious how everyone is going to handle their calorie intake? Friends and family have been telling me not to worry about it for that actual day because the holidays only do come once a year but I figured I'd get some more opinions on people who are trying to get in shape like me. Anyone have a good plan?

On a different note, I am a 19 year old college athlete and I'd love some friends on here that are similar to myself!

Replies

• risenonlytofall
    Options
    I treat them like normal dinners. I pick three things and a dessert that I enjoy and have a single serving of each of them. Just because there is more food on the table doesn't mean I have to eat more. (It's not like it's going to go to waste.) The food might be a bit more calorie rich than usual, but this stops me from going too far over my goals.
  • KL_24
    KL_24 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have a lot of self control for that one hahaha it'll be hard to pick just one dessert thats for sure..thanks for the advice!
  • risenonlytofall
    Options
    Don't be bummed if you mess up. I usually do when confronted with my mom's cheesecake. ;) But then I'll get up the next day and do my workout and try to make better choices. The hardest part is not using one "bad" day or meal as an excuse.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I enjoy, eat and drink whatever I want and I don't log. IT'S THREE DAYS OUT OF THE YEAR. It's what you do with the other 362 that matter!
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I am much older than you but started my weight loss journey when I was 19-20. I handle holidays just like its any other day. I wake up early and do my workouts as I would on any other normal day...I plan on eating the same breakfast as I do on any other normal day and when it comes to Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner I plan on eating the same way I would normally eat...a forkful here, a spoonful there...make sure I get in my veggies and protein....yes I will have 1 piece of cranberry sauce but I will only have 1/2 a sweet potato because my mother in law smothers it with maple syrup! lol. I will fill up on water so Im not as hungry and I will call it a day! I plan on still logging everything I eat but will have to estimate how many calories it was so I will estimate high.....

And I dont plan on being the one at the dinner table to unbutton my pants because I wont need to because I dont plan on stuffing my face til I feel like Im going to puke like everyone else plans on doing! especially since Thanksgiving is on a Thursday and my weigh in day is Sunday! That of course is motivation for me not to go overboard.
  • KL_24
    Options
    Great thanks everyone! Love all the advice and support from everyone on here rather than hearing the same old stuff from my family hahaha. Also, does everyone plan on still tracking everything they eat on Thanksgiving (or any holiday)? Sometimes when I know I am going overboard I tend not to bother logging it in which I know probably isnt the best idea
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I still plan on tracking everything I eat on Thanksgiving Day. Of course for Thanksgiving Dinner I will have to estimate how many calories I ate so I will add it as "Quick Add Calories" and overestimate how many calories it was and then in my food notes section I will write exactly what I ate: ie. sweet potato, turkey, salad, etc.
  • KL_24
    Options
    cool cool im gonna try to force myself to log in what i eat bc then i know i wont go completely overboard!
  • KL_24
    Options
    Christmas is coming and I don't know about anyone else but I love to bake for the holidays whether its cookies or any type of dessert! Any suggestions on how to get through these holidays? I still want to make desserts and whatnot but i want to make sure i dont eat them all so I need some willpower!
  • kdt000
    kdt000 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I enjoy, eat and drink whatever I want and I don't log. IT'S THREE DAYS OUT OF THE YEAR. It's what you do with the other 362 that matter!

Agreed!
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Christmas is coming and I don't know about anyone else but I love to bake for the holidays whether its cookies or any type of dessert! Any suggestions on how to get through these holidays? I still want to make desserts and whatnot but i want to make sure i don't eat them all so I need some willpower!

Have healthy substitutions that you love readily available to grab. My "sweets" these days are bananas, grapes, and oranges.
  • KL_24
    Options
    Great idea. And indulging in a cookie or two isnt too bad right? Just dont go overboard?
  • popzork
    popzork Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My biggest challenge is the cravings the "cookie or two" triggers. Once I start, I find it very very hard to stop at that. It's something I'm going to work on this year.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options

Agreed... I eat whatever I want on holidays... but try to only make enough for THAT DAY and not have a ton of left overs... I also try to limit myself to 1 plate... even if I really want 2... but I put whatever on that plate that I feel like.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m4kl9fT11K1qztwte.gif
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    FOUR! 4 threads about holiday food! AH HAHAHA HAAAAAAA!
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    I went/will go hog wild and pig crazy. I almost died in 2005. I enjoy having a few days a year that I typically do not coyunt anything. The only thing that slows my roll is when my stomach starts giving me the "If you do not stop now we will be in the hospital with a flair of pancreatitis"
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    awww I almost died in 2000!!! This is why I dont get mortally wounded over food decisions. Its just not that important.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    FOUR! 4 threads about holiday food! AH HAHAHA HAAAAAAA!

Seriously? It's only been 4.....seems like a helluva lot more than that...
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I am upping my caloric intake to maintain my weight through the end of the year. If I gain a pound or two back, no big deal. In January, the weight lose is back on!