for ladies

Options
Ii'm in my period and since two days ago i've been eating a lot forgetting about my diet.I've kept counting my calories and more or less friday and saturday i've had like 2500 calories yesterday i followed my plan but today again 2000 calories most in carbs and a bit of sweats.Would it compromise my diet?I'm seriously worried since in 3 weeks it's gonna be christmas :/

Replies

• EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Workout so you can eat more.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Cravings get pretty insane during TOM. It's just a matter of self-control. Also, chewing gum. Keep it in your pocket at all times and when you crave something sugary grab a stick.
  • jhall585
    Options
    I'm literally a bottomless pit the week before. I try to eat more fat and meat. Just continue to work out, strength train more, and remember it will pass. I've never gained a pound. You'll be okay.
  • 2moonNback
    2moonNback Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am at that point right now and I have been downing a big cup of water....
  • slincoln2007
    Options
    Allow yourself one "cheat" a day during your time of the month. I get chocolate cravings..although I usually dont care for it. So what I do i buy one serving of something sweet..and be done with it...so it doesn't turn into an all day pig out. The key is dont keep the crap in your house..so you have to make a concerted effort (i.e drive somewhere) to eat something unhealthy.
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Mark the expected TOM on the calendar and plan for it knowing it will happen. Exercise will definitely help keep your mind in the right space and burn off some of the excess calories. If you plan your TOM diet ahead of time you could include the comfort foods you like in the proper portions so you get what you like without going overboard. I don't menstruate any more, but I should follow my own advice, anyway.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    In the time I mostly aim for portion control and super intense flavors...so if I'm craving salty things I will have just 1/4 cup of Salt & Vinegar chips since the addition of vinegar totally amps up the salt flavor and will satisfy the craving without having to eat the entire bag of chips...ditto for sweet cravings, have whatever is so tooth rotting sweet that it will satisfy the craving off a few bites, like peanutbutter cookies with reeces cups inside them, or tripple chocolate brownies, or whatever you find to be so sickeninly rich and sweet that you can only eat a few bites before feeling sick...also, exercise, extra water, and extra sleep helps...
  • fultonp115
    fultonp115 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am totally in the same boat!! I just ate like a million M&Ms... I plan to work out tonight SHEESH... I do find i crave steak as well (which isn't as bad as the sweets) but I feel like an eating machine.

I think part of it is your body does need some extra nutrients. Gum helps to curve sweet cravings. Just use good portion control. Yesterday I ate a 1/2 cup of Ben & Jerry's Late Night Snack and a half of a banana. Every craving in the book. Calories, etc weren't terrible either. I think I would have been under if it weren't for the whoppers (Malted milk balls). I think mixing in fruit helps too.

Don't give up... Consistency is key. Like in anything. You can eat a snack or sweet, but then just do it after that. Don't tell yourself you can eat whatever just because you had a cupcake earlier. Start STRONG and finish STRONG.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I seem to get really hungry around that time. And I'm still having a hard time identifying if I'm really hungry, or if I just want to eat. Keep healthier snack options around. If you get hungry and reach for an apple and decide only a bag of chips will do, I would suggest you probably aren't really hungry.

Begin to see food as nothing more than a tool to feed your energy bank. Try to let go of food as a reward, food as a social element, food as a treat at the end of a long day, etc. So when you are looking for good stuff to keep your body moving, try and feed it some of that. That's worked FAIRLY well for me so far, although I've sone some backsliding recently.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    a lot of women crave chocolate because of the magnesium. You'd be better off taking a magnesium supplement rather than downing the chocolate. Even with the supplement, I have a stash of super dark (90% cacoa) in my freezer for emergencies.
  • jhall585
    Options
    also ladies, you burn about an extra 300 calories per day during PMS.
  • jhall585
    Options
    So i've read. Here's hoping!
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    This is awful, but I pretty much let myself have whatever I want, and honestly, I don't ever totally binge and I usually don't gain any weight. I keep 85%+ chocolate in my fridge and eat a small portion a few times a day and it seems to work. I agree - fat and meat tend to help me feel satisfied, as well as nuts (high fat content).