I need help, A LOT of HELP

Options
I been here for 2 years. At first one to 2 lbs came off per week then about a year into it I stopped losing weight. Plateaued hard. I tried to cycle my cals, I tried eating more, eating less, and now I been trying to work out and as of last 2 months I been gaining slowly. I been bad OFTEN about not writing down what I been eating or how much I been putting into exercising, I am changing that as I want this extra weight to be GONE.

Most of my life I been big and YES I do have hormone issues but quit looking after the 4th dr couldn't find anything (as well as we don't have insurance). My parents never dieted nor did they work out so this is NEW Territory for me and ANY and ALL suggestions will help. I dont snack too much, I do drink sodas every now and again. I tend to eat maybe 2 meals a day (trying to change that). I am willing to hear ANY and ALL suggestions on my diet. We are on a small budget for groceries and my husband doesn't eat veggies (go figure he is 155 lbs 6ft. 2 NOT FAIR) I am one who enjoys most veggies and do fix them for myself on regular basis. Most of my exercise is about half of what I really do, since I hear it MFP tracker isnt very accurate and I do eat most of those Cals on most days.

Thanks for any and ALL advice. I will continue to try and do my best no matter what I read here.

Replies

• StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    eat 3 meals per day and 2 snacks.
    mostly protein
    limit breads and grains
    eat non starchy veggies
  • Ewaldt
    Ewaldt Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Well, I think you already pointed out a lot of the things that you need to fix, which is good! Eating more often is extremely important! Because when your body gets hungry, you make bad decisions! Try doing a variety of workouts, youtube can be really helpful in that aspect. Instead of trying to eat less calories, focus on replacing bad foods with good ones. Your body needs fuel to lose weight, so you need to eat enough of high fiber, protein-packed, and nutrient-rich foods like lean meats, vegetables, fruits (but not a ton!), etc. Any grains you eat should be whole grain. Workouts need to be intense or they wont do anything for you. Don't forget to SLEEP ENOUGH and DRINK WATER! Because both of those are essential! Logging is also very important, even though it is SUCH a pain haha! because it forces you to realize what you are putting into your body, which is the biggest predictor of what results you are going to see.

Hope these help! These are just the things that I have learned in my time here!!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Start eating more regular meals and stop eating exercise calories (1,000 calories a day in exercise is excessive, not sure what you're counting for exercise). Limit your starchy processed foods so you aren't hungry. Make sure you weigh and measure all your food for accuracy.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    If you diary is any indication, you're not consistent.

Inconsistent effort = inconsistent results.
  • viki1123
    viki1123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary. You're eating maybe two big meals a day. Eating smaller meals throughout the day will keep your metabolism revved and you'll burn more calories in the long run.

Try switching your settings to include "Meals 1-5" instead of Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack. That'll put you in the right mindset.

Eating healthfully doesn't have to be expensive. I'm making this tonight and the cabbage cost me $1: http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2012/11/12/lightened-up-pad-thai-for-two/

I've been eating a lot of oatmeal lately which keeps you full for a long time. A large container of old fashioned oats is very inexpensive and you can make it delicious very easily by adding raisins, fruit, cinnamon, unsweetened cocoa powder, canned pumpkin, mashed banana, granola, peanutbutter, or nutbutter.

Lentils are super inexpensive and so good for you. They're high in protein and make an excellent chili (bonus! in a crock pot). Frozen spinach also adds bulk and lots of good-for-you. I made a crockpot lasagna with jarred sauce, frozen spinach, egg plant slices, and no boil noodles. Easy peasy delicious.

Search the internet! I find my best recipes from healthy food/ fitness bloggers.

You and MFP just have to have an honest relationship. Log ev-er-y-thing. EVERYTHING! Try to log the components of your meals as much as possible, that's more accurate.
  • viki1123
    Options

Agreed.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary. You're eating maybe two big meals a day. Eating smaller meals throughout the day will keep your metabolism revved and you'll burn more calories in the long run.

wrong
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Seems like your eating some high calorie "once and while" type foods on kind of a regular basis. Maybe your calorie goal is set too high. What are you doing for exercise that gives you 1000 calories? Are you using MFP or a HR monitor? MFP overestimates on some exercise and under estimates on some others. Don't eat back all of your calories to help with that. You also could try to keep your net at 1200 and see what that does. If you can.
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Seems like your eating some high calorie "once and while" type foods on kind of a regular basis. Maybe your calorie goal is set too high. What are you doing for exercise that gives you 1000 calories? Are you using MFP or a HR monitor? MFP overestimates on some exercise and under estimates on some others. Don't eat back all of your calories to help with that. You also could try to keep your net at 1200 and see what that does. If you can.

I never do anything that is quite 1000 cals, but I do things on and off all day. gardening 2 hours (trimming tree, sweeping the mess of trees, bagging tree trimmings) I dont do so much for "cleaning" because I do that everyday, Now if I am steaming carpets I will put half of that down, moving furniture sure ( dont move them often but every now and again I will rearrange my bedroom, sons room, living room), washing dishes NO. Like I said I JUST started even trying at add daily activities as well as doing MUCH more than normal. (maybe sit for 15 minutes then get up and do squats, or crunches or walk on treadmill, basically get up and move and DO SOMETHING for an hour or more.)
  • viki1123
    Options
    I mean, for a woman looking to lose weight and not build 8 pack abs? I don't think so.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I mean, for a woman looking to lose weight and not build 8 pack abs? I don't think so.

no actually he's right, that's wrong...

ALL a person has to do is make sure their calories in is at a deficit to calories out....

however a person wants to ensure that is up to them and personal preference....

that is ALL.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

^^^ This

It is way too easy to overeat when you aren't tracking your intake.

I been bad OFTEN about not writing down what I been eating
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I was so glad to find that I am not the only person on here who initially lost weight and then gained and gained....I have always felt a bit of a fraud so thank you for being so honest. I look forward to reading the responses that you get. All the very best with your weight loss journey xxx
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    I just sent a friend request...
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    When trying to learn how to deal with a stall in my losing. I was told to eat as many fruits and veggies in a day as i can because they are the best for me and it is nearly impossible to eat all of your calories in fruits and veggies, along with the portein.
    This is a life change. Always go back to eatting healthy stuff, even if you cheat once in a while.
    Plan ahead it helps, hugely.
  • meeshurwin
    meeshurwin Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Personally i would only track actual exercise. If you do gardening etc as part of your everyday life, you dont need to track it. Track the extra walks / jogs / workouts you do. Its true what people say...eat less and move more. You're body is already used to you doing the gardening etc so if you are tracking stuff it should be on top of your day to day stuff.

To keep costs down, i cook batch stuff which is great to freeze then I have home made ready meals for when im feeling too lazy to cook. I make chicken and veg curry, soups, chilli, sausage casserole spag bol etc. I fill my meals with hidden veggies (carrots, onion, peppers, courgette, ,mushrooms etc) and use lean cuts of meat / lean mince. Maybe you could sneak some into your meals and see if you hubby notices? hehe.

Also I cut calories by switching from oil to fry light and to skimmed milk and half fat cheese. Not everyone likes these products but they suit me.

Good luck.

P.S Make sure you track, if you're anything like me you will automatically eat less if you have to write it all down!
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Be honest about serving sizes, exercise and track everything... If you want food ideas, five servings of whole grains, three servings of vegetables, three servings of fruit, one serving of beans, and one serving of nuts or seeds daily... Drink your water and avoid high sodium/preprocessed foods as much as you can. Focus on what you really want and make it a reality. Do not eat back all the exercise calories... I don't eat back any of them...
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I would recommend setting your activity level to either slightly or moderately active and stop logging the everyday "chore" type of activities you do. Just log exercise that you do over and above your daily or weekly routine. When you up your activity level, MFP will give you a higher calorie allotment, but I think it's easier than deciding what chores you do or do not log and whether or not to eat those calories, etc.

Also, when you do log exercise, unless you are using a HRM and know for sure what your burn was, just eat like 1/2 of the calories back if you are hungry.

As others have said, measure your food and be honest about logging everything in. It's a tool to benefit you, so take full advantage of it and use it accurately.

Be sure you are getting plenty of fruits, veggies, protein and water.

Cost is an issue for my family as well. There is a grocery/farmers market place in town that has a back shelf with ready to expire produce that they sell for $1 per basket. We buy from there each week and plan our meals for the week around that. We use lots of brown rice, whole wheat pasta, dried beans, eggs, bulk oats, the big tubs of Greek yogurt and whatever meat is on sale that week. I make my own granola and protein bars to keep costs low and we have a pretty decent sized vegetable garden that we grow what we can in.

As for timing of when you eat, I think that is just a personal preference thing. For me, I do better eating several small meals/snacks throughout the day to curb my hunger. If eating 2 large meals a day works for you though, I don't see any reason to change it just for the sake of changing it.

You can do this! You have the tools, you just have to use them.