Question?? Calories or everthing else???

Options
Do you guys focus more on staying under your calories or do you try to stay under carbs, fat and protein as well???

Replies

• Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I do try to have a balance, though calories are my main focus. If I have a carb-heavy breakfast, I'll have a low-carb lunch. I try to make sure to get protein with each meal and snack. That might be a little more of a challenge for me because I'm sort of a vegetarian. If I notice Monday was too carb-heavy, I'll eat lower carbs on Tuesday. But basically I focus on calories and hope that the rest falls into place.
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    bump
  • GirlieGirl2013
    GirlieGirl2013 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Today is my first day of tracking my foods and I was like WAIT!!! I'm ver on my carbs!! But I'm still within my calories. Thanks for the advice...I will tweek in tomm:smile:
  • craigineson
    craigineson Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    For me, macros are more important. If I go over my calories slightly, it really isn't a problem because I already have a large margin of error on most days.
  • alcon79
    alcon79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I try to stay at calorie goal, and focus on hitting my protein macros daily. I find when I focus on protein, I tend to get a lot closer on my other macros as well.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Do you guys focus more on staying under your calories or do you try to stay under carbs, fat and protein as well???

Since I am trying to lose weight, I focus on calories first. I aim for a minimum of 72g protein and a minimum of 45g of fat, and carbs are about 50% of my calories. I do try to fit my diet into the macro-nutrient ratios that I set up. I am getting pretty good at that too. But calories are what's important for weight loss.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I try to stay at calorie goal, and focus on hitting my protein macros daily. I find when I focus on protein, I tend to get a lot closer on my other macros as well.

This is true for me too!
  • GirlieGirl2013
    GirlieGirl2013 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great advice ladies!! Yall are the best!! :happy:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

^This! .... I can't focus on everything .... all the time.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I am primarily tracking protein, sugars and fibre. It's a lot easier not to go over on macros like fat if you only eat them in their whole form - nuts, seeds, avocados, olives, coconut, oily fish and so on. Also much easier not to take in too many carbs if you base your diet around nine portions of fruits and vegetables then adding in protein and carbs, not deciding you want pasta for supper and then using protein and veggies as condiments.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Yup, calories above all else. Make adjustments to what you eat to get the macros right. Pre planning your meals can help you dial in to the sweet spot to get where you need to be.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Today is my first day of tracking my foods and I was like WAIT!!! I'm ver on my carbs!! But I'm still within my calories. Thanks for the advice...I will tweek in tomm:smile:

When I first started, it was just calories I worried about. I lost a lot of weight that way.

Now that I"m more focusing on bodybuilding and going from "fit" to "athletic" I am more focused on having enough protein to build muscle.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to stay within calories (but I'm not rigid about it) and I am focusing on lowering sugars and increasing proteins and reasonable amounts of fiber. But that's due to health related issues. I keep an eye on carbs but I'm not all crazy about it. My weight loss is slowing, and I know that's due in part to my lack of exercise. But if increasing my exercise doesn't bump up my weight loss, I might have to look more closely at carb consumption.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Just calories. I don't pay any attention at all to going over on fats or carbs (although there are certain high-carb foods that I avoid most of the time - rice, pasta, sugary things, white potatoes). For protein, I just try to get in as much as I can. I take a glance at how I did on carbs, fats, and protein at the end of the day but staying under calories is my goal.
  • delacruz_courtney
    Options
    Calories :)
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I try to stay within what MFP says.. but have a hard time with the sodium and fat, since I am trying to include the good fats in my diet!
  • taylor0204
    taylor0204 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I focus on my protein, sugar and overall calories.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    IMHO calories are the weight loss bit, the macros are about making sure you eat healthy.

Eat a rounded diet that is in your calorie limit and the weight will come off.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Eat below your TDEE to lose weight.
    Master your macros for better body composition.
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    When I started losing weight I was only concerned about calories, then I realized my sodium intake was through the roof. So I finally got a grip on my sodium. Then realized I didn't eat enough fiber, so I also got that to where I like it now too. Now I try to get my protein at a nice spot.

At the beginning of my weight loss I was concerned about my carb intake because it was quite high, but I still managed to lose weight every week without any problems. However, now looking at my food diary I realize that I eat far less carbs now than I used to. I never consciously aimed to eat less carbs, it just happened!
    Your eating habits will change quite a bit once you realize what fills you up and satisfies you for a couple hours, and what fills you up is typically on the healthier side full of fiber, complex carbs, etc.

Don't let all the macros stress you out or overwhelm you, you can focus on getting one down at a time, or even just focus on calories for the first little while you are on here.