Green Smoothies

Options
I have been doing a green smoothie for my breakfast daily. LOVE the way it makes me feel and also LOVE the fact that I get my veggies and fruits in for the day. Anyone else have success while using the green smoothie in their diet plan?

Replies

• Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Yes, love them! It's a great way to get veggies and fiber in quickly. What do you like in yours?
  • pianolover2012
    pianolover2012 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I love to add spinach, mand. oranges, greek yogurt, applesauce, bananas, frozen strawberries and frozen blueberries. Yummy! Tell me about your green smoothie please!
  • kokoforskinny
    kokoforskinny Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Can you please post your recipe here. I would like to try it.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    cant wait for my magic bullet tomorrow to try one!
  • LizCO2DC
    LizCO2DC Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I too almost make one every day. Here is my recipe!

Water
    1/2 banana
    Protein powder (non-flavored)
    2 large hand fulls of spinach and kale
    Frozen Mango
    Frozen Pineapple

Tastes absolutely delicious and is REALLY good for you.
  • nzahedi50
    Options
    I bought a Nutri Bullet a few months ago and love it. I have a veggie/fruit smoothie most days for lunch. I mix Kale, Spinach, Carrots, Celery, 1/2 a banana and half a cup of frozen berries, with a cup of water and a spoonful of flax seeds. It makes me feel green inside and gives me so much energy. I recommend this higly!
  • annu75
    Options
    That sounds lovely. I am defintely going to try that,
    except no banana since I hardly have banana at the house everyda y :-)
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I have a magic bullet and have been intrigued by the green smoothies but never tried one. Keep posting recipes so I can try one.
  • tomusiakl
    tomusiakl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have smoothies daily as well.I have around 24 ounces daily. Its a must for breakfast everyday. In the afternoons I have another one as well. I have a very green one right now on my desk at work. The ingredients are: Kale, parsley, cilantro, watercress, ginger,cucumber, zucchini ,celery and banana.

The one I had for breakfast had almond milk, kale, blueberries, wheat germ and flax seed.

Smoothies work for me. Helping to maintain my weight.
  • johnny059qn
    johnny059qn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I need vegetables and their fiber in my diet more than fruit (I'm not low carb by any means, just mindful of them as I have a habit of overdoing them) so mine are primarily veggie based with a tiny bit of fruit. I have a Vitamix blender and I think it could pulverize rocks if I felt like adding them to my daily smoothie :bigsmile:. Mine vary a little based on what I have in the fridge, but here is an example of what I like:

1 pear
    1 kiwi, with skin
    Small handful of baby carrots
    2 stalks celery
    1 little cucumber
    1/2 bunch of parsley
    Several stems of mint
    A few handfuls of spinach
    A few handfuls of baby kale
    A few stalks of Swiss chard
    1/2 cup of water

The fruit is just enough to sweeten. Otherwise it just tastes like a big glass of fresh. I'm not sure how else to describe it.
  • LaviMc
    LaviMc Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I like to make mine with spinach, frozen blueberries, frozen strawberries, frozen blackberries, a small gala apple, flax seed, almond milk, and protein powder (I have vanilla, but you can't really taste it once other things have been added). If it's not sweet enough, I'll usually add a dash of agave nectar, but usually it's sweet enough with all the other good stuff.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    My base green smoothie formula is this (makes two smoothies):

60g Kale
    60g Spinach
    28g Unsweetened vanilla protein powder
    1 cup Unsweetened almond milk
    1 1/4 cup Water
    1/2-1oz Avocado
    60-90g Bell pepper (just depends on the pepper size since I always just use half a pepper)
    90-130g Cucumber (again, use half, depends on size for actual weight)
    45-55g Radish (typically two large or three smaller)
    80-100g of Carrot
    70-100g Broccoli (I adjust depending on how large the above variable weight veggies are)
    50-60g Frozen fruit (kind varies)
    35-50g Frozen or fresh fruit (kind varies)
    Juice of one lemon
    Half a teaspoon of cinnamon

For the fruit, I typically just use whatever was on sale and I stocked up on and might have frozen. I've used all of the following:
    Pineapple
    Banana
    Blueberry
    Blackberry
    Strawberry
    Raspberry
    Grape
    Kiwi
    Mango
    Apple

But I basically pack it full of almost all veggies and just use the fruit for a little bit of sweetness. Frozen banana gives the best texture, but fresh pineapple gives the best flavor punch. And while I prefer red bell pepper to the green bell pepper, I just buy whichever is cheaper.
  • pianolover2012
    Options
    I vary my fruits and veggies daily so that I get a variety. I add something green (kale, spinach, lettuce, garden mix), then I add some type of frozen fruit ( strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, peaches). Then I add 1/2 banana ( I need the potassium), 1/4 cup of greek yogurt, a dab of juice (apple or whatever). My favorite ingredient is mandarin oranges because it gives it a nice citrus taste. Some ppl add protein powder, but I haven't tried that yet. Fruits are great in "masking" the green taste if you are not a fan of kale, etc. Be careful with kale because a lot of it will make you go to the restroom a LOT. Have fun- I try to put whatever is good for me in the blender. I also try to use what I have on hand. Don't forget kiwi and watermelon. Some ppl use cantalope also.
  • pianolover2012
    Options
    I also add Chia seeds per Dr. Oz. You can add more vegetables like carrots also if you wish.
  • pianolover2012
    Options
    Like this recipe...
  • pianolover2012
    Options
    I haven't tried the protein powder. What would be the advantages/tastes?
  • buglet55
    buglet55 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Going to have to try some of these! Thanks for the ideas!
  • wonderwomn27
    wonderwomn27 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    what do you put in your green smoothie?
  • peggyalex
    peggyalex Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I reall need to get a magic bullet or something so I can try these!