So im new to this. Any tips?

Options
Hey guys. Im 21, 5'2 and i weigh 80kgs. My target weight is 60kgs and i could really do with some help, advice and support to get there. Im quite an active person as i work with horses but i just can't seem to shift any weight. I'd love to hear your advice and tips to see if i can finally make it happen. Cheers guys

Replies

• succubusxxyy
    succubusxxyy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Honestly, just eat healthy and exercise as much as possible. It really does work if you stick to it.
    Log everything you eat and be completely aware of your calorie intake and drink at least 8 glasses of water a day!
    Good luck and message me if you ever need anything :)
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Be diligent, honest, and accurate with your logging of food. Forgive yourself when you have a bad day.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. Im 21, 5'2 and i weigh 80kgs. My target weight is 60kgs and i could really do with some help, advice and support to get there. Im quite an active person as i work with horses but i just can't seem to shift any weight. I'd love to hear your advice and tips to see if i can finally make it happen. Cheers guys

Well, pretty much anything involving a calorie deficit will work, so it's all about finding out what is most comfortable to you. For me, I used to be super strict and view foods as "bad" or "good" but recently I've just started to really live the "everything in moderation" philosophy. I don't eliminate any food or food group, I eat what I want in moderation and make sensible choices.

It's weird because I've always been bad with budgeting money, but thinking of my calorie goal as a budget has really worked for me. For example, I can eat this 300 calorie chocolate bar, but do I want to spend that much on it right now? Would I rather spend those calories elsewhere? It really makes you think of what food is worth to you. So while nothing is off limits to me, there are many things I rarely eat because it's not worth it to me to spend so much on them.

Besides drinking water, sleeping, having a calorie deficit and moving in some way - everything else is pretty much up to debate and comes down to personal preference. Just find what you think you will stick with long term. I could do any fad diet for 2 weeks while my motivation is up, but probably not for the rest of my life.
  • dillyrock92
    Options
    thanks guys. i'd like to think i'm brutally honest with what i am logging as i'm obsessed with counting the calories. I'm keeping to my calorie allowance but still seem to be putting on weight? (no im not pregnant lol) My worst eating habit is coffee. I have between 5-7 cups a day which i know isn't helping :(
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of good information on this thread.. you may not be calculating your calorie goals correctly.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Be honest about serving sizes, be honest about your activity level, track everything and you will lose weight.
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Take a measuring tape and measure yourself. The scale isn't always the best means to see progress. :-)
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    I just read that carrots will kill you.
  • johnny059qn
    johnny059qn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Eat less, exercise more. Repeat.
  • dillyrock92
    Options
    amberlykay101 im using the calorie allowance that the myfitnesspal app on my phone worked out for me which is 1210 calories a day. When entering exercize does everyone include daily exersise that is routine, such as walking the dog ect or just additional exercise?
  • mercymarque
    Options
    We're not perfect. You will have ur bad days, it's okay. Just don't make it a habit. MFP sets everyone's cal low, so if u go over by a little it's okay. Eat ur cal, drink plenty of water, eat clean (fresh fruits, veggies and whole grains), get enough rest and exercise. Log your food anything u put in your mouth should be logged. U will be given more cal for exercise. Some will say eat back some will say don't. Eat back some if ur hungry if not don't. Good luck. This is a great place to get tons of info. As you make friends look at their dairy and see what healthy eating is and try new things. Welcome.
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I think being honest about what you are eating and tracking all of it will help you get a true idea of where you got to where you did. I know it helped me. I do know that you really have to make sure you look at the calories on a pack too and not just rely on the first entry that MFP gives you - not all foods are based on what is available in your area (Canada vs US foods can have different calorie values etc)

You can do this!
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    Honestly, just eat healthy and exercise as much as possible. It really does work if you stick to it.
    Log everything you eat and be completely aware of your calorie intake and drink at least 8 glasses of water a day!
    Good luck and message me if you ever need anything :)

^^^^Agreed! (and same here)

Also, find what your body doesnt process well or what youa re better off having. For me, I need to watch how much sugar I have and need to keep my sodium a little lower or drink a heck of a lot more water then normal.

GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    amberlykay101 im using the calorie allowance that the myfitnesspal app on my phone worked out for me which is 1210 calories a day. When entering exercize does everyone include daily exersise that is routine, such as walking the dog ect or just additional exercise?

I've observed from a lot of people that the MFP calculator estimates low. You may want to also check other calculators to see how many calories you should be eating. Just a suggestion!

Also, routine things you do, like walking the dog, are calculated in your activity level when you choose your settings (Sedentary, lightly active, moderately active...) but some people log them seperately. You'll probably have to try different setting to see what works for you.
  • Jem97
    Jem97 Posts: 54
    Options
    Don't skip on weight training just because it burns less calories then cardio. On that note, also avoid eating back exercise calories, unless you are exercising hard enough you really need the extra food. Also, one of the easiest ways to cut out calories is to eat less carb-ey things, like bread and grains. As for snacks always have healthy stuff available, that is divided into portions, veggies are especially good if you just like to be eating, like when you're watching TV etc. Finally, and probably most importantly, NEVER give up. This is something you will most likely always want, so you might as well do it now.
  • dillyrock92
    Options
    thanks guys, i really appreciate it. Just to clear my confusion do i have to try and burn off my daily allowance of calories each day? what percentage of my calorie allowance should i be trying to burn if not?
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    The best pieces of advice i can give to a new person is:

1) FOOD makes more difference than exercise, and no matter what school of thought you have towards nutrition, the one thing almost everybody agrees on is that FRUITS and VEGETABLES are good food.

2) EDUCATE yourself. People tend to eat what they want, so the best way to avoid junk food is to NOT WANT it. The best way to not want junk food is to educate yourself on what the actual consequences of junk food, and the benefits of healthy food. Once you educate yourself and develop a portfolio of good recipes, your food choices will be effortless and intuitive.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Your diary is still closed, so I can't help with that.

I got a pedometer and set a goal of 300 calories a day when I started. Unfortunately, the same # of steps only gives me 200 calories now, but that is another problem :)

I have to make some changes in my "diet" now. My current schedule isn't Breastfeeding friendly, so I'm losing the extra 500 calories a day. So I've switched to the "maintain weight" setting to see what happens for a couple of weeks - then I'll go from there.
  • Heather4275
    Heather4275 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice in the posts above.I. I suggest you make sure your net intake is over 1,000 per day.
  • dillyrock92
    Options
    how do i change my diary to open? My eating habits are awful lol so i could use the instruction haha