Fitbit the "one"

Options
Hi,

I'm looking into getting a fitbit for Christmas to not only motivate me but also to gauge how many calories I am actually burning.

What are your thoughts? Recommendations? Is it worth it? Accurate (or close enough)? Anything better out there?

Thanks!

Replies

• CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit ultra and let me tell you, I cant live without it! I feel naked without it on me and it is sooo useful if you walk alot and want to know your TDEE
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I got my very 1st Fitbit 3 days ago. Fitbit One.

I LOVE IT.

I would not be without it now. Go for it, you wont find anything better apart from a really good heart rate monitor (I wear both when I workout so I know the best calorie burn)
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit, too. Only had it for a couple of months- but I love the way it pushes me to take a few more steps!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you expect it to do. As a motivation tool it works well. But it does not do a good job recording cardio on machinery. So bicycling, treadmills, ellipticals, you will get goofy readings. Also it will drown in water so do not use it for swimming. I suggest a HRM Polar FT 7 or 4 is a better tool for cardio. Unless you are walking or running.
  • naonah
    naonah Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback folks!
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I used it for around 8-9 mths, and it was a great motivator, the last 5 mths I got a Polar HRM because the FitBit was over estimating for me, and I needed to know my cals burned a bit more accurately. But I think it is a great tool, these days honestly I stopped wearing it, lost it once, and they replaced it, great company! I am working with a personal trainer, and truth be told, he keeps me motivated right now, but later when I go into maintenance I expect to use it once again as a tool.
  • kmumansky
    Options
    I just debated this for 2 weeks. I was between BodyBugg, Fitbit and Nike Fuel Band. I ended up with Bodymedia (arrives tomorrow!!), it's the same company as Bodybugg, but it syncs with MFP AND it seem the company updates/maintains it more than the bodybugg version.

http://www.amazon.com/BodyMedia-Armband-Weight-Management-System/dp/B0049POHK6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354539553&sr=8-1&keywords=bodymedia

I should note that I will still be wearing a HRM during workouts, because I do like to know how much the workout burned...but these other gadgets are great for motivation and tracking your entire day.
  • GluttonousGirl
    GluttonousGirl Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I love mine. Not only to motivate me but it gave me an idea of how much I move on the job. Id say get one for sure.:)
  • readthat
    readthat Posts: 136
    Options
    I have had a fitbit One for about 2 weeks now. I cannot go without it! I love it!! I run for exercise, so I tested it along with my HRM. They came out within 50 calories of each other. Fitbit being 50 cals low. So I feel its fairly accurate. Now I don't have to record exercise, I just let fitbit do its thing!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have the new fitbit that syncs with the iphone/ipad....and I had the one previous to that that I gave to a co-worker. We both LOVE IT. it's AWESOME!!!
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I have one and I love it but I got bored after several months. Now I'm looking at Striiv. That says more about my need for more gadgets than anything else.

One really nice thing I like about the fitbit though over other ones is the sleep monitoring. The updated ONE updates wirelessly via phone. I want that feature!

The game play on the Striiv attracts me at the moment. I like the charity angle too.

So basically look around. There are quite a few competing on the market now.

In general though, these things are designed not only to count steps, as traditional pedometers do, but they have motivational tactics to help you MOVE. That's the whole darn point. If you buy into that, you'll love it!
  • naonah
    naonah Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have a HRM that I wear for some workouts. I just want something more than just a HRM. The TDEE calculation is interesting too :) Of course, like with any other gadget, you have to use it for it to be beneficial. The fact that it links to MFP and my iPhone/iPad is cool too. Love my gadgets!

Thanks for your opinions!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    It is TOTALLY worth it!!! Best purchase I ever made!!! (Just realized I already posted a response - this is how much I love it! LOL)