Tracking strength training

Options
Why can I not seem to find any of the exercises I do when I strength train on MFP? I do the tricep arm push down thing, the butterfly arm thing, the pushing your arms up weight machine, the thigh machine (both inner and outer), the leg pusher thing (where you sit on the bench and it slides up as you straighten your legs - it's basically like a squat with weights). I don't know what all the machines are called, but I do a good circuit of them all so it seems like I should be adding them to MFP, but I can't find anything more detailed than "abs - sit ups" and stuff like that. Is there a general "strength training, 30 minutes" or something that I'm just not seeing? I know strength training isn't really going to affect my calories for the day, but it would be nice to log it.

Also, I walk at 4.0 mph at an incline of .5, it gives me a nice brisk pace with a little incline but is easier on my joints than running. All I can seem to find on MFP is "walking, 3.5 mph".

Overall, I have been really surprised with how many food items are in the database... but how few exercises there are. Am I just not seeing these things?

Replies

• SueMGordon
    Options
    Add it to the cardio section and search for Strength training.
  • projectxreborn
    Options
    Yes, this has been driving me crazy as well...and the calories are not listed either...why is this?
  • trac30
    trac30 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I just set my HRM and log the cals as low impact aerobics. Its impossible to log every strength machine I do on here.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Calories are listed if you log it as a cardio exercise.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Yes, this has been driving me crazy as well...and the calories are not listed either...why is this?

My guess would be that since ST cannot be determined soley on the heart rate as cardio would that there are way to many variances in strength training to try and determine an accurate one size fits all caloire guesstimate. So things such as your weight and size, or how intense do you lift, or how long of a break do you take in between sets etc... etc.. make it that there are too many variances or factors for an accurate one size fits all calorie count. Not saying mfp couldn't do this as there are generic formulas but they can be grossly inaccurate
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I added it under cardio, I'm not too concerned about exactly how many calories I burn doing strength training because it's not something that is going to make a huge impact on my calorie goal (I just logged 15 minutes of strength training for 50 calories, I don't know if that's low or high, but I know I work hard enough to sweat and hurt like I got hit by a truck the next day, so I'll consider it pretty accurate).

Mostly I just want to have it in my tracker, it helps keep me accountable to myself and helps me keep track of my progress. I lost almost 70 pounds on weight watchers but didn't exercise more than just being active in general (walking a lot because I live in a city and we didn't have a car), so now I'm down to my last 15-20 pounds and it refuses to budge, so after spending a year gaining and losing the same 5 pounds I quit WW and decided to put the money I spent monthly on WW toward a gym membership.

I figure doing some massive strength training and cardio three times a week should shock my body into letting go of this last little bit of weight!
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Also, I walk at 4.0 mph at an incline of .5, it gives me a nice brisk pace with a little incline but is easier on my joints than running. All I can seem to find on MFP is "walking, 3.5 mph".

If you search for just walking, it should give you the other paces. I have logged walking, 4.0 mph before so I know it's there.