weight stalled since started working...Help!

Options
I am in need of help. My weight has been jumping between 5 pounds for the past 3 months. Here is the problem... by day I am a mom to a 4 yr old and 1 year old. By night I am an overnight cashier at walmart. I realize that a lot of my stalled is lack of sleep. I sleep during baby's nap times and have her on a schedule to go bed early. Also another problem is my meal schedule is all messed up. I eat lunch around 1 pm with the kids, eat dinner at 2 or 3 am, and eat breakfast between 7-8 am. I have a snack the constist of a lot of protein between 12-1am. Then have some snacks during the day. Oh and I also grab some thing about 5 am. My biggest pitfall is I drink a lot of sunkist to help me stay awake. I have been trying to replace with water and sports drinks.

You might think I am a cashier that doesn't do anything but stand there.... Wrong!!!! My store building is 5 acres. I criss cross the store multiple times. I stock clothes, candy, pharmacy and HBA. I also sometimes work in the backroom. I am running the front end tonight so I am going to wear my pedometer to get an idea of just how much walking i do.

So here is what I need help... What are some other drinks to drink to help me stay awake? I will not do coffee or energy drinks!
What are somethings I can do to help get out of this slump. I still have like 60 pounds to loose HELP!!!

Replies

• rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    No coffee? I would have suggested coffee, it's very few calories by itself, and putting some skim milk in it doesn't add many calories either. Maybe orange juice, since fruit seems to wake me up, probably from its natural sugars.
  • kdavis82508
    kdavis82508 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I really do not like the taste of coffee plus I have really bad IBS and coffee is a big nono
  • cassileed4
    Options
    I am a mother of six children and work as a waitress full time at night, so I know something of what your talking about. I drink Diet Dr. Pepper. I know its not the best choice but at least is has no calories. I also carry veggies at work like carrots and sugar snap pees in my pocket and nibble on them so I dont over eat when I finally do get to eat. I have lost a total of 35 pounds and only have 10 more to lose before my goal weight. This has worked for me. Good luck! Keep going and dont stop! You can get to where you want! My body has had six kids and If I can do it then you can!
  • btracy01
    Options
    If you don't like coffee, have you tried tea? like hot tea with no calorie sweetener? its really good. anywho, if you want more energy, try green smoothies. its a combo of kale, apples (which help keep you awake), carrots, and basically any fruits and veggies you like. they're really good and give you lots of energy. I drank them for a few months and never felt better. :D
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh!!! well done to you for putting in all this hard work first of all!!!

I don`t think it is about drinks to keep you going but more about trying to re arrange your whole life schedule???

Do you have anyone else at home that can give you some time whilst you catch up on some sleep?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    How many hours of sleep do you get? I don't know how long a person can sustain sleeping less than they need. It sounds like maybe you have hit a wall, but I don't know that.
  • kdavis82508
    Options
    I think I Average about 6 hours of sleep. I am also not a tea fan. I think I am going to get the fitbit since it also moitors your sleep. I forgot my pedometer last night it did pretty good. Ate an apple with peanut butter then had a low fat lunchable for dinner (not the greatest choice) but then when I was pushing carts for over an hour I almost passed out so had to eat to feel better.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? I have a feeling it's probably not enough. Between and active job and an active life, your account should probably be set at moderately active. This will increase your calories to fuel your body more. Also, with only 50 lbs to lose, set your account to 1.5 lb per week. As you get smaller, you require a smaller deficit. I also like 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. It's much better for macronutrition.
  • kdavis82508
    Options
    Well I weighed in this morning. Really hadn't weighed for a while since I was just bouncing around for 3 mo. I lost 5 pounds!!!! I do think I am not eating enough calories. The other night I was pushing carts for over an hour and almost passed out. It was scary. I am hoping to invest in the fitbit. I tink it will provide me with more accurate results of what is going on with my body
  • CaptChad75
    Options
    Hello there just wanted to add my 2 cents here. Im assuming your refering to sunkist sodas and I will say let go of the sunkist and since you don't do energy drinks or coffee switch to apple juice. Do a quick google search on apples and coffee and you will find that 1 apple (which does not have caffeine) will effect your body as much as if you drank 1 cup of coffee. Switch your diet to 100% juices focusing more on the apple juice, or it should be real easy to find apple cider this time of year and you can have it as a warm drink too. Your body will be use to the sunkist craving but if your going to drink your calories at least it will have vitamins. The sugar content will be somewhat the same but it will be sugar from the fruit itself which lets your body digest easier. When you drink sunkist your sugar spikes then drops rapidly then you start craving sugar again the you grab another sunkist. When you eat natural sugars your sugar spikes and then gradualy drops as your body digests therefore lessening your craving. I work outdoors and would go through a 6 pack of gatorades a day in the heat of summer thinking they were good for me, and all I was doing was busting my calories everyday buy drinking 200 calories per drink. I'm on a 2100 calorie a day meal plan and by pounding 6 gatorades at 200 calories each I had already used up 1200 calories I was alotted. So I switched to juices 20oz of apple juice in the morning then waters with the indivudual powder packs by crystal light for flavor and I dropped weight consistantly. Good luck!
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    You need more sleep! You shouldn't have to *try* to stay awake every day. We all have our down days, but if its consistent then you are not getting near enough sleep. If you need help in that departmnet go to CVS Walgreens or the like - find Sleep Well gummies. They are natural with Melatonin, Chamomile and Passion Flower. I take one a night and it helps me get into a nice deep sleep. I sleep for a good 6+hrs and wake up rested. Its not habit forming, but I like how I feel after I wake on nights I take one vs nights I dont.

You need to eat better. Obviously your body is craving Sunkist and you're addicted. You need to put down the sunkist and back away slowly!! Your body sugars spike and then drop suddenly causing you to be more tired than you wouldve been had you not had the sunkist in the first place. At work take an apple or two. Apples are known to have the same effect as coffee. Apples are not as acidic as apple juice and will not hurt your stomach. Eat with peanut butter or cheese - the added protein will keep you fuller longer and help keep you awake as well.

You are obviously drinking a large portion of your calories and it is sabataging you b/c 1) your body is craving it 2) your body spikes and causes you to be more tired. 3) it causes you to not digest properly which is keeping you stagnant.

Also you can try some Crystal Light Energy mixes and take a B Vitamin. Both will aid in keeping you up without the sugars and caffiene.
  • Amlong1977
    Amlong1977 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Definitely drop the Sunkist. If you're going to use soda to keep you awake, I'd switch to diet. No calories. I rarely drink soda, but I used to drink a ton. When I do, I drink Diet mountain dew. I'd give the Crystal Light energy packets a try. They taste good & you just mix with water so it's super easy & very few calories.
  • antzygirl
    antzygirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know how you are feeling, i have just started a managers job at a newly opened establishment. I have near normal hours, but don't manage to get breaks to eat because there are not the right type of staff to cover breaks etc at the moment. I then get really hungry and binge eat! I don't really think there is anything healthy out there for you to eat of drink to keep you awake, its just a matter for you of trying to get more sleep! It's so hard juggling kids and work. Your weight will be harder to shift doing night work too, its not natural for us as humans to be awake working when we are supposed to be sleeping. Its a proven fact that night shift workers have alot of trouble losing weight. Maybe you could have someone watch your kids while you get decent sleeps? Fruit juice is high in sugar. Tea has caffene in but not as much as coffee...maybe a herbal tea for alertness? Good luck