I feel weak, shaky, and nauseaus. Am I eating too little?

Options
I have been on a "clean" diet for the past three days. It consists of fruits and veggies, nuts, and lean meats. I have been keeping track of my caloric intake on here and I am around 1200. I feel freakin' awful though! At one point this evening I felt like I was going to vomit. I drank a spinach and apple smoothie made with almond milk and that seemed to help. Is this normal? My eating was really bad before i tried eating clean. I ate way too much junk food, so I'm not sure if my body is going through withdrawals. Any advice is appreciated?!

Replies

• NocturnalGirl
    Options
    How much do you exercise? Do you eat back your exercise calories? 1200 generally is too little for most.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Weak, shaky, nauseous are signs of low blood sugar. You are probably not eating enough.
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    most people will tell you yes. i would ask you first if you are doing cardio or just cutting your calories? i looked at your diary you could probably use another piece of toast. i personally lost all my weight on a 1200 cal a day routine but i never try to cut my carbs out i just eat clean and eat lots of yogurt and salad. try eating yogurt, greek yogurt. your body might just need time to adjust to dropping in calories and not eating sugar. i think maybe go to 1400 first, then 1300 then 1200 if you can. but dont eat any junk food. im not a nutritionist or anything, just another fatty on a diet
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Weak, shaky, nauseous are signs of low blood sugar. You are probably not eating enough.

Not necessarily. I get that way too but my fasting blood sugar is in the very normal range.
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling similarly but I think I'm pregnant.:flowerforyou:
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    1200 is a little low, but also, if you haven't been eating many veggies and fiber before and you have been the past 3 days, that' would def do it! when adding fiber, you gotta do it slowly so that your body adjusts. Sounds to me like you need to eat a little more and maybe not shock your system with a drastic change all at once...
  • mamaDaisyJ
    Options
    1200 is too little for me, so I eat at my BMR..that is what it takes for my body to function at rest. Then I eat back at least half exercise calories. The foods you are eating looking so healthy! I would suggest you make sure you have protein each time you eat, even if its just some whey in your shake. Protein helps keep your blood sugar levels stable, which you prolly need since you arent adding to the sugar levels the way you did before. Looking at your macros, this is your first day without a drastic overage in protein....which MFP usually sets a little lower than recommended for most people.

So, my suggestions? try eating at your BMR and get plenty of protein
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I bought a glucose meter today because I immediately thought my sugar was too low. I checked it twice and it was in a normal range. I know this is going to sound awful but I was trying to do the Paleo thing to see if I would feel any better. :/ Having said that, I haven't actually had any bread in the past few days! My muffins are made WITHOUT sugar and flour but almond meal. Also, I''m really lazy and work out maybe 2 times a week. I live a sedentary lifestyle.
  • etynda6116
    Options
    Sounds like you are eating too little. Increase your calories and work your way down I range between 1200-1500 a day depends on the day. You should not feel sick.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Ok...I just looked at your diary and it could be the 48 oz of coffee too! lol
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    i say eat bread. ezekiel bread the sprouted kind. and oatmeal. think low calorie bulk food. get some psyllium husk too, only 35 cal per 2 tbsp and fills you up and makes ya poop. you should try to go for a walk every day it will help with your metabolism and make you feel better.
  • ambervaldez79
    Options
    I got two hours of sleep last night so I used the coffee to get through the day. i had one in the morning and one at lunch. Haha!
  • cgfol1
    cgfol1 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    A lot of people I know (including myself) felt absolutely shocking for the first week or two after cutting sugar and going clean. I found that my body was just getting over the shock of the lack of excess sugar I was consuming (and it was a LOT). I was irritable, horrible to be around and suffered from shocking headaches, but was lucky that this only lasted about 10 days. I started on September 1 so have been complelty clean now for three months. And I feel freaking amazing! Don't gve up hope, perhaps give you intake a 100-200 calorie boost?! It's so worth it
  • ambervaldez79
    Options
    Congrats, Rachel!
  • Noflexing
    Noflexing Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    your going to feel that way for the first few days because your probably having withdraws from the other food you used eat especially if you eliminated carbs from your diet. just like when a person stops drinking sodas after a few days they get headaches. just keep it up and you'll get passed it. stay at 1200 working out 2 days a week and a sedentary lifestyle doesn't require more calories.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Consult your doctor. . I am no doctor. So, I won't say 1200 is too little.
  • ambervaldez79
    Options
    CG, I've also had a headache. I keep telling myself to ride it through and not cave in so quickly
  • michelebelle
    michelebelle Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You may just be eating the wrong things...I quickly learned that the more healthy I ate, the more food i actually get to eat! Keep going it is a learning process..If what you eat one day leaves you feeling tired, sluggish, weak and hungry..Try to adjust it the next day to be more satiating.

Eventually you will figure out what works for you..If you are feeling that way..Have something healthy to eat (fruit salad and yogurt).
    You are striving for progress..not perfection.

Be strong girl you can do it!
  • eocortez
    Options
    i believe that it could be that you are eating too little and probably dehydrated. always make sure you drink enough water it is super important to hydrate.
  • lveh8lve
    lveh8lve Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You may want to try 5 meals a day instead of 3 as well. I normally eat at least 5 sometimes 6 mini meals a day.

I've done the low carb thing and that definately gave me all the symptoms you have. I was a raging beast for at least a week!!! I couldn't keep up with it though.