Video game work outs. Yay or Nay?

Options
2»

Replies

• now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't and don't use it as my only form of exercise however I do use it as a suppliment.

The video games can be a good workout if you put the effort in. Usually on my off days I will use some of the video games I have as exercise as something extra. Some can give you a great workout.
  • Jaccyber
    Jaccyber Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Have been using EA Sports Active 2 (Wii) and NFL Training Camp. I started my 69th week in a row. I have shed 50 lbs and 8 inches. If you stick with it... it will happen. It is challenging but also I personally think is is fun as well. Looking at it from a RPG game point of view...instead of me sitting in a chair in front of my computer increasing the abilities of the person on the screen I am increasing my own abilities...stamina, strength, health, etc. Definitely >>>YAY<<<
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    Options
    I do dance games on the Wii when I am at my moms house and I sweat like a *kitten* in church. Those games are more intense than I gave them credit for. I am buying my hubby an xbox with the kinect and plan to use the kinect for some extra exercise :)

Oh and forgot to mention- A lot of these games have an exercise program built in. Like just dance has a "just sweat" setting. Movement is movement, especially if you were quite sedentary before.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I lost the first half of my weight (give or take a few pounds) using ONLY EA Sports Active 2.0, not even using MFP a t the time. But I used the PS3 version... If you only have Xbox 360 + Kinect and Wii, I've heard that the Wii version is better, but I haven't tried it. I just know Xbox users weren't happy with the stripped down, more-glitchy version they got.
  • julieagross
    Options
    I love video games. I have a Kinect on my 360 and a Wii with the step board, but mostly play FPS (first person shooter) games. I recently started working out in the gym doing Zumba, U-jam and Step class so I thought I'd try the video game versions. They do get you up and moving but are no where near the intensity. MFP (my fitness pal) gives a whole lot more credit for Step or Spinn class than you get from Wii step. I wouldn't be able to stay on the low calories if I didn't get them boosted by workouts ;). If you can work out at a gym with a group, it's much more fun and works better.

Julie
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Want a workout? Try Dance Central 2. I was sweating like crazy and out of breath by the end of the songs! But games like this only work out for you if you actually commit and put effort into it.

PS - Watch out for "Whip My Hair," nearly threw my neck outta whack!
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Just got under the weight limit for the wii fit board and plan to use it daily... To quote Dori, "Just keep swimming" what ever we do to exercise will work for a while if we do it.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Wii workouts! They seriously do make me sweat and I have tons of fun.

I have:
    Exerbeat (has karate, kickboxing, latin dancing, hiphop dancing, aerobics, pilates, yoga)
    Gold's Gym Boxing (VERY fun and I definitely sweat lots)
    Gold's Gym Dancing (I didn't expect it to be as fun as it is, has some boxing as well as dancing)
    Just Dance (don't like it as much for working out but it is lots of fun)
    Wii Active (I think, haven't done it in a LONG time though)

I think those are the only ones I have...I would like to get Zumba sometime, too.

Currently I'm doing the Gold's Gym dancing the most. It has a "personal trainer" and you can do a 7 workout plan or 14 workout plan. And the trainer sets up a number of the exercises to make a certain length of workout (started around 15 minutes and now getting closer to 30 minute workouts the more I do it) and the intensity starts to go up.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Forgot to say that if I feel I need something extra while working out on the wii, I have weighted hand gloves that I'll use. That definitely helps. Not to mention I can also use them for other boxing videos so they were a pretty good purchase for me. :)
  • lilmzritz
    Options
    Dance Central on Xbox from time to time. It's not only fun but it will get you sweating and grooving
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Wii Zumba 2!!!! Been a life saver! SO fun, you SWEAT like crazy! Between eating better, walking, and Zumba, I am 40 down!
  • LuccyH
    LuccyH Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I cannot tell cos I am against any video games or X boxes or Wii and I dont even own one. I am old fashion. :tongue: I prefer classic workout, outside running or gym, or classes.
    I prefer to go out and not stay in. However, when I cant I am using my stationary bike. :smile:
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Just invested in an the zumba party for X box, and started today. Even with a healing back, and being sedentary, I can see this as a wonderful way to get started. Even some of the basic "starter" games that come with the kinect will get you up and moving, though not in as much of a coordinate fashion as the zumba or dance central.

Can't make it through more than the warm up - yet, but what I did get through had me sweating up a storm! Not sure if it'll hold out long term, but so long as it's fun, and you're up and moving, it's worth something.

But, how do you log it in? Is it better to log it under "line dancing" or is there a better description for these dances?
  • wolf39us
    wolf39us Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 30lbs awhile back on DDR!

LOVE video game work outs
  • GRINWITHIN
    GRINWITHIN Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It depends on the workout. Take my opinion with a grain of salt, I am only back on program 1 week today.

I used to be relatively fit on an elliptical 30-40 minutes a day and a high impact strength/cardio workout like a boot camp, kick boxing, or some of the high impact Beachbody videos. I used EA Active for Wii (and Wii Fit) for my "rest days". I had a slip/fall accident one winter and had physical therapy where I was turned onto the Wii.

I first bought a Wii for my parents are in their 70's. They both used to bowl and just can not do it anymore. My dad lost 40% range and strength in his hand and my mom who has a walker and electric scooter both have the doctor's blessings for her Wii Sports Resort Favorites. It has done wonders for their mood, my mom's mobility has improved a bit and my Dad has been able to use it to lower his sugar and the doctors just took him off diabetic medication.

I had an injury and I do not want to dwell on my regression, because I took control and I am back on the wagon so to speak with exercise/dieting ... but I am using Wii as a starting point and just getting loose enough to start doing other low impact exercises in short clips.

I go about 10 minutes at a clip to meet my goal of 60 minutes. I like Wii Yoga because I can gauge my balance on the Fit Board. I like EA Active 2 because of the heart monitor .. I have been "pre-hypertensive" for the past year and trying to drive that down.

I do have Slim in 6 and Tai Cheng by Beachbody and a few other High Impact Boot Camp programs (like Gold's Gym and Jenny McCarthy's boot camp for Wii) but I could never handle it right now.

I am getting my groove back with Wii and just added a Day 1 Tai Chi lesson but I still could not do anything intense like Slim in 6, or PX90. If I stay committed, I think I can get back to medium intensity in 4 weeks. The challenge will be keeping the exercise going throughout the holidays between Dec 21 and Jan 1.