Replies

• deltalbarbie
    Options
    bump
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the other comments but I wanted to ask:

What does it taste like? What's the texture?

I've never eaten a vegetable smoothie before, and I don't own protein powder (heard some people whip the protein into smoothie form)

I'd be willingto try this out to get my daily servings of vegetables, but drinking spinach sounds.....a little unappealing.
  • pianolover2012
    pianolover2012 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I reall need to get a magic bullet or something so I can try these!

You don't need special equipment- I use the hamilton personal blender- does fine.
  • pianolover2012
    Options
    I haven't read all the other comments but I wanted to ask:

I've never eaten a vegetable smoothie before, and I don't own protein powder (heard some people whip the protein into smoothie form)

I'd be willingto try this out to get my daily servings of vegetables, but drinking spinach sounds.....a little unappealing.

That is one reason that I use some sort of fruit as my base. You cannot even tell that you have "green stuff" in it. The colors may be a little challenging depending on what you use it it, but the taste is awesome. I put in honey sometimes also to add a sweetness if I cut back on the fruit. Some ppl vary the different types of "healthy" sweeteners but I find that my mandarin oranges help mask the green taste.
  • pianolover2012
    Options
    what do you put in your green smoothie?

I vary my fruits and veggies daily so that I get a variety. I add something green (kale, spinach, lettuce, garden mix), then I add some type of frozen fruit ( strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, peaches). Then I add 1/2 banana ( I need the potassium), 1/4 cup of greek yogurt, a dab of juice (apple or whatever). My favorite ingredient is mandarin oranges because it gives it a nice citrus taste. Some ppl add protein powder, but I haven't tried that yet. Fruits are great in "masking" the green taste if you are not a fan of kale, etc. Be careful with kale because a lot of it will make you go to the restroom a LOT. Have fun- I try to put whatever is good for me in the blender. I also try to use what I have on hand. Don't forget kiwi and watermelon. Some ppl use cantalope also.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Last year I started a daily regimen of 3 Mile speed walking (miss it this yr.) and found drinking a protein smoothie prior to walking worked for me. I came up with this and I find it's quite tasty! I'll drink it before I'm out the door when I need something quick...

1 C. Silk lite original
    1/2 - 1 banana
    1/2 serving peanut butter
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    2 T. wheat germ

I read over the "green smoothie" recipes you all posted and they sound great, I'm looking forward to trying them! :smile:
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried the protein powder. What would be the advantages/tastes?

For me I add the protein powder because most often I'm using the green smoothie in place of something else, either breakfast, lunch, or a snack. And since I typically have protein for any of those meals I want to still get my protein in. I don't really taste the protein powder at all. The only reason I started using the one I do is because when I was using an unflavored powder I was getting from the bulk foods section it gave it a mildly chalky taste. So I found an unsweetened vanilla one that had the same stats that I started using instead.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options

Mine are thick and similar to something you would get at Jamba Juice. We got a Ninja blender from Bed Bath and Beyond with a 20% off coupon and it cost no more than a standard blender. The trick I've found is to pack the greens in tightly and blend them with the liquid first, until they are smooth. And then add all the rest of the veggies and the bit of fruit and blend until smooth again. Never be afraid to let it blend for what you might think is "too long", because it won't be.

It's hard to describe. It doesn't taste like straight veggies but it also doesn't taste just like fruit. It's just very refreshing and has a mild veggie/fruity taste.

For me, it's actually not really adding any extra veggies or anything to my diet. When I drink one for lunch, it almost the exact equivalent to the salads or veggie sautes I used to make for myself, both in amount of veggies and protein. The only difference is that protein is coming from the powder instead of chicken breast.

Also, I'll sip a smoothie for around 30-45 minutes before it's gone rather than finishing my breakfast or lunch in 10-20 minutes (depending on how slowly I make myself eat). And it often ends up feeling more filling than when I just sat down and ate my salads or sautes for lunch instead.
  • kokoforskinny
    kokoforskinny Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I vary my fruits and veggies daily so that I get a variety. I add something green (kale, spinach, lettuce, garden mix), then I add some type of frozen fruit ( strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, peaches). Then I add 1/2 banana ( I need the potassium), 1/4 cup of greek yogurt, a dab of juice (apple or whatever). My favorite ingredient is mandarin oranges because it gives it a nice citrus taste. Some ppl add protein powder, but I haven't tried that yet. Fruits are great in "masking" the green taste if you are not a fan of kale, etc. Be careful with kale because a lot of it will make you go to the restroom a LOT. Have fun- I try to put whatever is good for me in the blender. I also try to use what I have on hand. Don't forget kiwi and watermelon. Some ppl use cantalope also.

thank you so much
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Bump. I want to find this later!
  • metzlerjn
    metzlerjn Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I keep mine simple I do :
    frozen strawberries (six is a serving)
    1 kiwi
    and 2 cups of spinach or 2 cups kale
    about half a cup of non fat greek yogurt
    ice

or I do:
    1 orange
    1 kiwi
    2 cups spinach or kale
    about half a cup of non fat greek yogurt
    ice

i shoot for the 5 a day rule so i get all my fruit in for breakfast and 1 veggie, and then i have the remaining 2 veggies for snacks/dinner :)
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    I like em. If I drink them too often they wreak havoc on my digestive system though.
  • nzahedi50
    Options
    I buy a bunch of bananas and peel and freeze them individually in plastic wrap. This way I always have bananas for the better tasting smoothies with added potassium.
  • SWilcox818
    SWilcox818 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've seen a variety of recipes for these and was always hesitant. After reading all of these posts though, especially those describing the taste and texture, I think I'll have to give 'em a try. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this topic!
  • pianolover2012
    Options
    I buy a bunch of bananas and peel and freeze them individually in plastic wrap. This way I always have bananas for the better tasting smoothies with added potassium.

Nice idea- thanks!