Sweet Poison....

Options
Has anyone read the book Sweet Poison by David Gillespie??? What did you get out of it????

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    antifreeze is a sweet poison
  • Valm0n
    Valm0n Posts: 88
    Options

THIS!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

FTW!!!!!!!

rimshot.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Read a book...

Ha! That's a good one.
  • mrs_jatkins
    mrs_jatkins Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    if you dont have anything to say regarding this topic, please refrain.

Thanks!
  • HannahsBestLife
    HannahsBestLife Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    No but I want to read it!! I have heard lots about it but can't seem to get my hands on it, there a few places online I was going to buy it from but they won't deliver to NZ for some stupid reason!!!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    if you dont have anything to say regarding this topic, please refrain.

Thanks!

:laugh: Public forums are public.
  • mrs_jatkins
    mrs_jatkins Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    No but I want to read it!! I have heard lots about it but can't seem to get my hands on it, there a few places online I was going to buy it from but they won't deliver to NZ for some stupid reason!!!

Oh really!! Thats crap... i purchased mine from TheNile.com. see if they deliver there. I really cant wait to get started.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I thought for sure this thread would be about white sugar. my guesses have really been off lately and its disappointing. turns out eating pizookie isn't sexual either. I'll get the next one.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Here are some interesting points on the subject. The sixty minutes link does not show full screen but still makes the point.

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/stories/8480654/sweet-poison

From Prevention Magazine April 2012.

Research suggest that diet drinks may backfire: The taste of something sweet without the calories can cause your body to hold on to calories as fat. In a 2011 study, diet-soda drinkers has a 178% greater increase in waist circumference over 10 yrs, compared with non-diet-soda drinkers. "Artificial sweeteners can actually raise your insulin levels and lower your blood sugar, which may stimulate hunger and move existing calores into storage in your fat cells," says Sharon P Fowler, MPH, on of the study's coauthors. Plus fake sweeteners may not quell a craving like real sugar can, because sugar triggers a longer dopamine release. So even after downing 2 Diet Cokes, you may still want the candy bar.

From a seminar I attended- "The brain sees something as sweet but does not recognize any calories so it calls for you to eat more calories".

Also check Snoops.com and Urban Legends for the other point of view.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

The other video on the same subject is "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" with Dr. Robert Lustig which you can watch at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I suggest the reviews on amazon.com (if there are any). You are likely to get responses you are looking for
  • caprica
    caprica Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading the book, but have yet to apply the idea.

The idea within the book is that you can achieve moderate and consistent weight loss if you just avoid fructose in your daily diet and limit its consumption to special events (e.g. your birthday)

The book's view is fructose, unlike other forms of sugar such as lactose and glucose, does not trigger the "I am full feeling" and encourages your body to binge on it and make you overweight in the longer term. For example, you can drink a bottle of juice and still feel hungry, where as a bottle of milk and you will feel full for much longer.

The book is supportive of some fruit in your diet, as fruit has lots of fibre to help fill you up. The book is just anti fructose when it is separated from its original source and made into sugar (which is 50% fructose and 50% glucose). The book goes on to say that you should avoid food that contains a high percentage of sugar (e.g. soft drink, fruit juice, most diet foods, most breakfast cereals, many take-away meals, biscuits, chocolate, etc).

The book is not a low carb book and the authors view is that low carb diets are good at fast weight loss over a few weeks, but they are not a long term solution as very few people can sustain them for very long.

The book is not a low fat diet book either, as the author views that your body will normally tell you when you have eaten too much. The only fat you should actively avoid are transfats (e.g. hydrogenated fats used in many manufactured foods).

Thats about it really. "If it is sweet don't eat" is the central theme of the book.