At a loss...

Options
I am 5'11-1/4" weighing about 185lbs. I was most comfortable at 160 lbs and cannot seem, for the life of me, to get back there. I gained this weight when i started a desk job about a year and a half ago. About a month ago, I started trying to eat better, using this app to count some calories, I started running a couple of times per week as well as adding a morning workout-burning about 100 calories-just to get the day started right. A week and a day ago, my friends and I decided it was time to kick it in to high gear for our cruise in March and I figured it was the perfect time to get my act together. Along with my usual morning routine, I have gone to an aerobics class on Monday and Wednesday, ran 2 miles on Tuesday and Thursday, started taking my dog for a short one-block walk at lunchtime, and walking to or from work every day (just once per day, about 2 miles). I weighed myself today, and weigh 186. And yes, I know muscle weighs more than fat, but I want to lose the fat first!!

I have been eating 3 smaller meals per day along with a healthy snack between each meal. I cut out soda. I just don't know what the issue is. Anyone know why my body refuses to cooperate?

Replies

• lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    8 days isn't long enough to say if it is working. You did not say that you track your calories like its your new religion. You are very likely eating to much still. Everything needs to be counted. EVERYTHING. It really is calories in calories out.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Log everything, eat at a deficit. Have patience. Also it's not muscle, it's probably water from your new workout.
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Give it a month. Your muscles retain water when there is a sudden and dramatic increase in exercise. Make sure you are drinking lots of water. Make sure you are eating enough calories.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    What amber said.

This is spot on. Keep doing what you're doing.
  • Kristin2984
    Options
    Great workouts this week! Keep up the good work. Track everything you eat, cut back on salt so you are not holding water weight. 8 days is pretty brief. I bet you will lose a few by next week.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Great plan, but it takes time. Make sure you log honestly, and log everything. If you do that the weight will drop off, or at least you will get thinner. Muscle does displace fat with added mass so make sure to measure and not just rely on the scale.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    8 whole days?

ya...screw it...it isn't working

you should probably resign yourself to the extra large sweatshirt look

rock it baby
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    CarmenSandiegoInVA Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    It takes time and 8 days may not be enough. What are you eating? Is your diary open? I can take a look and help you. I lose weight slowly and I've been at this for a little over 2 years. Everyone is different. But remember, WEight loss is 90% diet and 10% exercise. I'd have to see what you are eating but I could make some suggestions. Trust me, I've been at this a while and I've been working with my sister who is a personal trainer. She's also studying sports nutrition.
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    8 whole days?

ya...screw it...it isn't working

you should probably resign yourself to the extra large sweatshirt look

rock it baby

man, you are so going to get jumped on and pummelled for not having the uber support module enabled on your posting machine. I'm betting you get hit within the next 5 posts.
  • ProjectSara
    ProjectSara Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yep, just be patient. I've noticed that for me, the general trend of how my actions effect my body don't really start showing for 3 weeks.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I did that when I first started to try to drop my weight. I was not tracking my food. I thought exercise was good enough. You have to do both.

I also had a food intolerance that was causing me to retain my weight.

Do not get discouraged, this is a marathon, not a sprint.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Diary not open. Could be eating 1208937410982374019835709147509876918237460-789124360` calories a second of "healthy food" for all we know.