Walking Shoes

Options
Does anyone have any good advice on walking shoes? I always buy cheap shoes, which never last very long, but even worse, they are not comfortable at all. My hubby says he wants me to buy some "real" gym shoes, and stop being soooo cheap. lol I thought my last pair of Avia's were real shoes. I really think a good pair of shoes will help me go further in the excercise department. :-) Only problem is, I am a stay at home mom, so I refuse to spend a whole lot of $$$$$$. Any suggestions for me?

Replies

• TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I found my last pair of Reeboks at Kohls for under $50. They are very sturdy and since starting to wear them my plantar fasciitis rarely bothers me anymore. I want a pair of Easytones for my summer walking! But they are expensive!
  • XPianoPrincessX
    Options
    Hi :-)

I bought myself a pair of Sketchers Shape Ups. I walk around 4 miles a day during the week and they are so comfortable. UK Prices are around £60.00 so aren't the cheapest things but I feel the benefits of walking in them. They really help with posture which is great for me :-)

Good luck in finding a good pair :-)
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I have Saucony's. They are actually running shoes and are better than Nike's. Very high quality. They don't cost too much since the company doesn't spend a lot on advertising.
  • nikkolatwell
    Options
    I would definately recommend you buy a good brand (Adidas, Nike, Reebok, etc). It is recommended if you wear you sneakers daily that you should replace them every 3 to 4 months. If you really start looking at the side of the sole of your sneakers you will see that as you wear them the cusion (foam or what ever they are made of) will get compressed. This compression of the material mean less cusion for your feel and over extended time you can cause damage to your feet, ankles, knees and hips.

Take care of you tooties and they will take care of you : )
  • HMBradley42
    Options
    New Balance...I have achilles tendon problems and was in a cast for 5 months...My ortho said New Balance...for my situation I use the 845's and the preceeding numbers that go along with that. You can find the show to fit a specific problem you may have weather it's over or under pronation...If there is an outlet store near you, you can find great deals.....
  • izobel
    izobel Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    There are usually huge reductions on last season's models. I would buy walking specific (or actually a jogging shoe if you are heavy) as they will have the necessary cushioning. Comfort is the most important thing. If they feel good you'll go further.

I am a jogger (ie a SLOW runner but with a few full marathons under my belt) and I buy relatively cheap ($60), well cushioned shoes and replace them every 600km. I'm sure you could keep walkers a little longer. I am not brand loyal and have used every reputable brand and the only shoes I haven't been happy with were a light model (read, less cushioning) which I thought would fit so much better in my suitcase :-( I really noticed the difference. I don't carry much extra weight but at 6 foot I am not light and I really felt my feet and back.

Also for walking and jogging support is not an issue unless you are on trails but your feet do swell. I always buy half a size bigger than my usual shoes - and a half size bigger than the NB guy who measured me recommended. I didn't regret my choice!

Good luck finding something.
  • emarcia28
    emarcia28 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Kohls has a pair of Reebok on sale for like 30$ and new balance 35$ & Nike for like 45$. And they have them all in wide aswell btu idk if u need W. :flowerforyou: happy shopping

REEBOK http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/shoes/womens/athletic/hikingwalking/PRD~c9588/Reebok+OZone+Walking+Shoes.jsp

NEW BALANCE http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/shoes/womens/athletic/hikingwalking/PRD~c15312/new+balance+400+Walking+Shoes.jsp

NIKE http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/shoes/womens/athletic/hikingwalking/PRD~c14117/Nike+View+II+Walking+Shoes.jsp

Oh JCPenny's has some Nike's for like 45ish
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of both Saucony and New Balance.
  • SkyeBows
    SkyeBows Posts: 80
    Options
    I love my nike shocks and I had the same pair for 2 years and they lasted great I can still wear them but hubby got me reeboks shape ups for christmas so I wear those now. I am a stay at home mom as well and that is why I will spend money on my shoes. I only wear one thing and that is sneakers so its not like I have heels and boots and so on like a working mom. So I reward myself with a nice pair of shoes every couple years or so, and the benefit they last!
  • Jparadise72
    Options
    I have Saucony's. They are actually running shoes and are better than Nike's. Very high quality. They don't cost too much since the company doesn't spend a lot on advertising.

I LOVE LOVE my Saucony's. Bought them 2yrs ago and still going strong, except I'm actually using them now!!
  • SammiAnne11
    SammiAnne11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

I LOVE LOVE my Saucony's. Bought them 2yrs ago and still going strong, except I'm actually using them now!!

Same here. I have really small feet (size 5) and get my shoes from www.Zappos.com free shipping and returns if they don't fit!
  • goodgalpal
    goodgalpal Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Oh I love www.zappos.com too! They are great and have a big selection and usually pretty decent prices. Check out the sale/clearance section on there...

I have wide, flat feet that overpronate. Saucony, Newbalance, and Sketchers tend to work well for me. I like to wear thin socks with my shoes. I've always had better luck with running shoes than walking ones. I like the more breathable fabric on the running models. The walking shoes tend to be heavier and have leather/pleather so it makes my feet sweat more and that is uncomfortable to me.
  • lalawitheca
    Options
    Above all when picking out walking shoes find out what kind of stance you have...do your feet roll in, out or are neutral? Once you know make sure you pick a shoe that is for your feet. A shoe can be the best most expensive shoe in the world, but if it doesnt match your feet it can do more harm than good.

Honestly I suggest going to a running shoe store...have them watch you walk and have them lead to you the right kind of shoe. There are a lot of different price point on good running shoes.

Oh yeah and don't buy a walking shoe, buy a running shoe. They are lighter and breathe...